Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot pit motors

i'm having a problem with a pit motor over heating and can't figure it out. I checked all the berrings in the pin wheel all good, front and rear rollers are good ...don't have any resistance out of the ordinary anywhere so i don't know why motor is straining(overheating). Plus i tried three different motors all with the same result. Now i have a fan jerry rigged to motor seems to be fine. Any suggestions any help would be much appreciated. Thanx in advance.
    CT

Re: hot pit motors

What brand motor? I know Westinghouse heads run extemely hot! Also I have some national motor heads that run hot as well but its because of sh1tty brushes. Sometimes ive seen a rotor that is a tight fit on the head and that causes too much friction and that explains the heat. Good Luck.

Deadwood
    Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

Canuck73, try pulling out the belt tensioner on the belt for the pin wheel and let the pin wheel belt have some slack. Turn on the back end motor for a while and see how hot the motor gets.

With the pin wheel disengaged the motor should run easier without the added function. If its still getting hot, maybe the gearbox needs to be look at. Check the gear oil. Is the gear box making a strange noise?

Try spinning the rotor shaft with the stator off and notice if there is any rough spots when you turn that shaft.

Good luck.
      knuckles
      [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

We were having the same problem with a few of our motors until the guy that rewinds our motors pointed out that there was a difference in some of our motor “irons”. There are 2 lengths; 2 ½” and 3”.

Measure the length of the rotor, and then make sure that it's the same length as the “iron” in the stator. (I hope my terminology is correct. Motors aren't my forte&#8217 [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] They'll run if mismatched but they'll eventually overheat.

Comment

Check your spec plates, too... certain 50-cycle motors don't play well with 60-cycle current, and MOST 60-cycle motors will eventually blow up if run on 50-cycle power... If your machines or parts were purchased secondhand, this might be an issue.
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

If these are Westinghouse BE motors, be careful.

There are two vintages out there, like Dutch mentioned. Two types of stators with two different rotors.

The model number of the older Westinghouses will have the last 3 digits of "079" which is for the rotors with the longer armature, and the fan cage but up flush with it.

The newer stator, last three digits "201" is desgined for the newer rotor, shorter armature and a finger space between it and the fan cage.

I know many mechanics who didn't know about this and burned up stators not knowing why. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

I hope this is some help for everybody.
            "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Since you have tried 3 different motors without any luck maybe the problem is in the machine. Check to see if you have a bad ball lift clutch. This could cause the one motor to turn both back ends. Check for bad electrical connections also.

Comment

Try checking your motor plug wiring, both the machine side as well as the motor side. Let us know what you find.
                TOON
                Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the newer stator "201" will run with either the long or the short rotor without any problem. However, if you run a "079" stator with the short rotor you'll burn it up every time. I have a 201 stator running with a long rotor for years now without any trouble which leads me to belive that the new stators will run on either rotor.
                  Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

guess #1 you have GE or Westinghouse and your endbell is bad (not centered, allowing rotor to knock against stator)

#2 GE &amp; West the rotor on that lane is stuck out further than normal. meaning, when the stator is tightened down there's not lbs, but tons of pressure on the endbell bearing

#3 you have an adjustable pinwheel speed sheeve on that lane.

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Coors ]

Comment

Mr. Pinspotter:

I guess that's possible about the 201 stator, I've never tried it (too chicken). If you say it works, I guess it does. I was always under the impression that they were meant for each other and not vice versa. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the info.
                      "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Kat: Extra Crispy or Original Recipie. :p :p

Deadwood
                        Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

Have you checked the pit and bounce boards yet? Sometimes a pin might get caught between the carpet causing just enough resistence for any motor to kick out. Have you run the motor without the belts? Try running without belts and then if all is ok add 1 belt at a time and follow what ever belt seems to cause the problem.

Comment

hey thanx everyone turns out my endbell was a bit out of shape and the berring wasn't sitting righton one motor... but the other two motors still heat up haven't taken them apart yet but i'm thinking i might have a bad gear or something because i have lots of play in the shaft.
                            CT

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                            Working...
                            X