Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying ball exit problem

I have a really annoying problem on 1 pair of lanes that's been puzzling me for months, and no matter how much I go thru the machine, I can seem to find a reason for it... I'll pitch it out and let a few other wads of grey matter ponder it:

On lanes 11-12, usually at least 3-4 times a night, I get a 'stuck ball' call... The ball on #12 is rolling on the carpet, blocked by a pin that's out the door and holding the paddle over to the extreme right, stopping the balls from exiting on either lane. Moving the ball away from the pin, or pushing the paddle to the left will clear the exit, and everything functions normally...until the next time. I've checked and found no problems with the paddle drive (not slipping), all belts are new, paddle are isn't dragging or hitting anything, the bounceplate and supports are OK, carpet isn't stretched or frayed, saddle & ball exit are OK, and I've replaced and adjusted the paddle drive shock at least 3 times, and still the problem occurs. It just seems like if a pin goes out the door, and the ball gets behind it just right, the paddle doesn't have enough force to shove the pin out of the exit...even if there's a ball on #11 pushing against the paddle, it won't move. Any ideas?
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Re: Annoying ball exit problem

Do you use the filler plate in the B.B.?

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Jimmy Jam:
      Do you use the filler plate in the B.B.?[/QUOTE]

I just ordered a couple of them, and I have them in stock, but I haven't had a chance to install any yet (or the ambition to yank a bounceplate).

The part that gets me is this problem just cropped up recently, but the machines were working fine before that... without any mods to them.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I have solved the problem by replacing the paddle shock with the newer spring loaded type and a small pulley. The spring loaded shock has more adjustment and the smaller pulley really slows the paddle down.

Terry

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Terry Reichard:
          I have solved the problem by replacing the paddle shock with the newer spring loaded type and a small pulley. The spring loaded shock has more adjustment and the smaller pulley really slows the paddle down.

Terry
          [/QUOTE]
          I tried a couple of those spring loaded ones a while back... I didn't really care for them. Seems like no matter how I adjusted it, it was either too light to push anything out, or so heavy it was bashing the paddle arm off the stops. I may throw one on just to see what it'll do...

Comment

Make sure you use an AMF spring loaded shock along with a paddle speed reduction pulley from either Ed Fox or Lifelong. Adjust the shock so that the paddle hovers at each kickback.
            I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is...

Comment

GMan
              Its not the spring loaded paddle shock by itself that does the trick, but in combination with the smaller pulley that makes it work well.

Terry

Comment

G,

You might try a spring shock made by a different company. I've used a couple different ones &amp; had the best luck with the one from Murrey.

Comment

I think the ones I have are from Vantage... They're about 2x as long as a regular shock, with a big bolt on the tail end of it for adjustment. The biggest problem I had with them was that the springs would break in half after a fairly short runtime, even if I set them pretty light. I think the units cost about $40 or so apiece, maybe more... and I didn't get much use out of them.

Howzabout pitching me the part#'s for the other spring-loaded shocks that were mentioned... mebbe I'll give one of them a shot &amp; see what happens.

Comment

I think AMF's part# is 000-028-540, just a warning though I think AMF just jacked the price way up, still might be worth it if you want the quality. Also heard that Stahl's makes a good one as well.
                    I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is...

Comment

The Murrey shock # is ST-671 &amp; costs about $50.

I had the same problem with the V shock. Haven't had a problem with the M shock yet.

Comment

Stahl's makes a good shock....very durable.

Only one problem with Stahl's shock. It is so big around it will rub against the paddle drive pulley if you have narrower exits. You must adjust the paddle brackets toward the even lane to allow it to work.

Vantages shock is good too. Adjustable!

Only 3 problems with their shock.
                        1. I have had the interior springs break with out any replacements available!
                        2. The front of the shock (next to where it bolts on to paddle drive pulley) will come apart unless you dissasemble it before installing and use locktite on the threads.
                        3. It will squeak...you must drill a hole in the body and apply oil 4 times a year or it will squeak. I drill the hole directly over the shaft. I stole this idea from Tim. (where are you Tim?)

These shocks with their problems are still superior to the hydraulic shock.

Comment

This is gonna sound nuts, but if you want to fix those 'V' shocks, get a couple lifter springs out of a tecumseh or b&amp;s 4-stroke lawnmower engine... they're almost the same size and strength... I did a few like that, and they worked pretty good... only thing was that you have to reset the tensioner bolt a bit lighter because the spring coilstock is a little bit heavier than the originals.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                          Working...
                          X