Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep stays in guard position after cycle

Sweep works until it moves back out to guard position, then it just stays there. tryed another chassis and still the same problem, replace the middle switch on the sweep cam but that didn't cure the problem.

Thanks for all the great info.
    Doug

Re: Sweep stays in guard position after cycle

The switch that starts the sweep up from 270 or second guard is the TA2 switch (the middle table switch) Check the adjustment on that switch. To tell if the switch is bad when the sweep is at guard pull out on the cam follower and if the sweep runs you'll know it's out of adjustment. The sweep is supposed to start up when the table is up about half way (at least that's how mine are adjusted). You may have to move the table cam a little to correct the timing on sweep run through or the sweep may hit the head pin if it's still there or it may start too late and you'll get interlocks. If what I said is hard to understand I'm sorry, I'm better at showing rather than explaining. I'm sure somebody else can explain it better.
    Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

8270 PINSPOTTER HAS IT RIGHT. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE TA2 SWITCH TO ME.

Comment

TA1 if your running the old 5-boards.

Comment

Reach in from the back and push one of the wireways that connect all the respot cells forward and then pull it back to where all the cells are fully open. I don't know why that works on one of my machines when it stops at guard after sweeping the deck. Maybe I have a switch bad or something but every three or four days that one machine will just stop with the sweep down. I do that and in a couple of seconds it goes back to work. Sounds stupid I know.

Comment

TA1 if 5 board or MK1 or 5 (1981 or 1984)
            TA2 if MK(1989 or above) or MP

ya sure it isnt just a weak motor and stiff bushings?? goin up isnt as easy as goin down.

Comment

Spanky, sounds like you have a gripper protection switch going bad or a break in the wiring going through the table on that machine.

Thats what usually happens when you have to open and close the respot cells like that.

Maybe the fingers are binding up a little and every once in a while the fingers don't come all the way back to activate the GPS switch.

Just a thought.

knuckles [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I think what I have is the old 5 board, the machines are early 80's, if thats the case which one would be the TA1 ?
                [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img] Thanks for all the great replies!!

Doug

Comment

Spanky,
                  The mount for the gps switch may be bent back a little. Have run into this problem several times, will cause an intermitten problem, also check the table wiring harness connector for a bad connection have had that problem also.

Good Luck!!!

Doug

Comment

TA1 is the switch on the left.

Table cam switches L to R... TA1, TA2, TB.

Sweep cam switches L to R... SA, SB, SC.

Ta1, TA2, SA & SB are machine function timing cams. If someting goes wrong with these, TB & SC are there (working in conjunction with each other) to stop the machine in its tracks, commonly known as an interlock.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by dougcook:
                      Sweep works until it moves back out to guard position, then it just stays there. tryed another chassis and still the same problem, replace the middle switch on the sweep cam but that didn't cure the problem.

Thanks for all the great info.
                      Doug
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">GEE I must be stupid [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] what does back out to guard mean [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] does that mean the sweep is at 270 [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] I can't tell you guys saying to check the respot cells???
                      is the sweep at 66 and table failing to feel for pins [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] or is sweep at 270 and failed to return to zero.LMMFAO. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] CRUDO
                      if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

I agree with Mr. Groucho [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] . GPS SWITCH?!?!?! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] hmph.... i guess hahhahaha. But didnt he say 2nd ball? oh well hah! just keep on knockin back those 6 packs grouch, their words will make more sence around the 5th or six 12oz'r. hahahhahaha makes me laugh.

deadwood
                        Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

I was having this same problem a few months ago.

Let me ask you a question first:
                          When was the last time you cleaned and changed oil in combo gearboxes?
                          If it's been a while, pop on another gearbox, and pull the ring gear off the old.

No, wait. First, flick SA when you find the machine stuck like this. If the sweep comes up, then change the gearbox. If it doesn't come up, well I'm wrong.

That's right, I'm going with the ring gear/helical gears having gone to hell.
                          Where they typically wear out is the 66/270 position. There will be flat spots in 3 equidistant areas around the ring gear. This is where the "slam" when the sweep hits this spot wears on the gear teeth. Eventually, you wear down the teeth, and they slip on that spot.
                          You will start seeing sweep stuck at 270*, increase in frequency, then eventually you will have the sweep just chatter and bounce when it's trying to move.

Rule of thumb: if you open the gearbox and it smells like a doushebag, clean it and change the oil.
                          [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                          Chaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Connie Lingus:
                            Rule of thumb: if you open the gearbox and it smells like a doushebag, clean it and change the oil. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                            Chaddy
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Umn... not to be rude or anything, but could you give us a different description of the distinctive 'odor' of old gearbox? I'm not in the habit of sticking my nose into douchebags to find out what they smell like, let alone compare the odor to anything else... :p

I dunno about you, but the oil we use here has a smell that would gag a maggot right out of the bottle... I'd hate to get a whiff of it after it breaks down some.
                            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Quick check to see if it's the cams that's causing this mayhem.

Next time you find the pinsetter stuck at 270, take a pin and LIGHTLY, BUT FIRM, tap each cluster of cam switches (Table and Sweep). If your sweep kicks into gear and returns to 0, then you know you have a bad microswitch.

SA is responsible for bringing it back to 270 and stopping it there.
                              TA2 is responsible for firing the S Contactor to bring the sweep to 0.

Hope this is of some help.
                              "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X