Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a PBL fix our ball return problems permanantly?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a PBL fix our ball return problems permanantly?

Our center's 82/70 machines are suffering from ball return problems and we were told PBL replacement was the way to go. We were also told about a mini PBL sold by Vantage that was cheeper. Are these any good. Thank You for your help.

Re: Will a PBL fix our ball return problems permanantly?

One word, "humpbacks"!!!!!

Comment

We have 0 ball calls with Humpbacks.

If they are installed correctly they are the best.

I have only lost one belt in the last year and it was a old white one.

Jerry

Comment

You just wait and see....you havent tried my new kicker yet....but then again neither have I..........but their being manufactured as I type! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
        Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

I've got both 18 lanes of humpbacks and 12 lanes
          of mini PBL'S the humpbacks are by far easier to
          install and in my opinion much better.

Comment

K-Dub: what do you curently have? I have 24 lanes of kickers and 1 pair has a humpback. We rarely get a ball call now. 99% of the house has the murrey whities on and the Zot sawtoot's on the lower filler plate. every now and then a pin will try to return itself to the bowler but other than that 0 ball calls. I am not one who likes the kicker system but i have to say they can be worked on.

deadwood
            Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

AMF also sells a mini pbl. They call it PBL+. I would get the AMF version if you go with PBLs. I have them and I have zero ball calls since I installed them two years ago.
              Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Judging from all the praise the Humpbacks have gotten (not just here at Bowl-Tech, but quite a few other centers) love them. I haven't an honest opinion of them (as I have PBLs), but if I had kickers, I might go the Humpback way.
                "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

A few observations based on 15 years experience with PBL's.
                  1. The light ball sensor, when it is clean and works, works very well, but many consider it a maintenance nightmare. Normal rebuilding isn't too difficult and does not cost much until you need cams or weldments. Then, [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

2. The mini and plus versions replace the sensor with the spring-loaded link, which was also available for the kicker system, but with the PBL or Humpback, the spring-loaded link requires slowing down the rudder with reduction pulleys to allow light balls into the lift. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Combine any of these with Lifelong's light ball clutch for less hassle, and more reliable service.

3. The PBL-revised ball lift, which is used with any of the upgrade ball exit systems (PBL, Humpback, Tuffy Air Exit), sits lower in the cavity and at a slightly different angle. After experiencing ball-spinning problems in centers that have changed from kickers, it is now my recommendation that you change the track rail weldments. Here's why:
                  Original rails that came with machines prior to PBL have a different profile. That is, they are bent at a different position up the rail and subsequently curved different at the top. The new lift angle benefits greatly from the new rail angle, reducing the possibility of a heavily oiled ball from spinning half way up the lift.

My machines came with PBL's, not the first, but were manufactured about 1 year after their introduction. They have a mix-and-match batch of rails. I therefore have to replace most of them, too.

4. The Humpback eliminates the 2 kicker belts. Either PBL eliminates the 2 kicker belts, but adds a v-belt for the 1st stage lift (lift arm) ratchet. The Tuffy Air Exit eliminates all belts but the carpet/lift drives.

Thought you'd like to know. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

BowlEquip; I for one was not aware of different rails(bends & curves). But shimming and new rubbers seems to be the Key. I like the humpback idea, but I think they even must use the rocket rails. Don't know if I like what the loping might be doing also. [IMG]
                    Your Curious felix [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                    P.S. Ihave PBL's
                    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Rocket Red gutters......my favorite color!

Jerry

Comment

That's ModIV red and REAL WOOD! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                        If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

Rocket Rails are awesome. Even Brunswick guys are using them.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                          Working...
                          X