Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Light Question

We have a poor airco system and everytime the humidity is getting higher than 80% our machine tube lights are not working. The simple solution to get it on is just touching the tube once.
    I tried earthing the tube but that doesn't help.
    I have ZOT armatures with normal and blacklight tubes and they don't use starters.
    Please help!

MARTIN
    So it goes.

Re: Tube Light Question

Use WD 40 on the bulb holders.

Jerry

Comment

In Heerlen we`ve got the same problems same tubes same ZOT, even with much less huminity,strange about it is that we don`t have this problem when we turn on the blacklights.

Comment

It's gonna sound weird, but try getting a bulb in the size your pit light takes, that's made for "outdoor use", "cold starting", or one that is made to be used inside those sliding-door beer coolers. The outdoor/cold bulbs are made to start under conditions of cold and humidity... I think they have a higher concentration of mercury vapor in them to make them more conductive. Check your local electrical/contractor supply... most likely the local hardware store won't have them... tell them you need a "cold starting" flourescent for outdoor use.

WD-40, or even better, Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner or Cramolin DeoxIT D5 can help, too. WD40 will help keep moisture off the contacts, the other two will do the same thing, but also help conductivity.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Thanks G.

I did try WD40 and contact spray(although I know that's allways the beginning of the end)but that didn't help at all.
          I will ask for the other tubes, but I think this is going to be be very difficult(30 watts are just like materials in inches very hard to get in the Netherlands), in the meanwhile we're hoping for better(dry)weather....

Tubelamp

PS Allso thanks for the info about the URL's and so! I think I will try to setup my own website.
          So it goes.

Comment

Ahh, the mystery of the Lamp(ie).

Heres a good web page for troubleshooting fluorescents web page

And here is a quote from another web page:
            A reflector grounded to the ballast (and power wiring) is often required for starting. The capacitance of the reflector aids in initial ionization of the gases. Lack of this connection may result in erratic starting or the need to touch or run your hand along the tube to start.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

What do they mean with a reflector ?
              I have never heard about a reflector in relation with tube lights.
              Are they some kind of capicitors?

Redlamp
              So it goes.

Comment

And a quesion about the following....

Someone told me that on old tube lights there used to be a silver looking conductor between the two ends of a tube light burned in the outside of the glass tube, this was done to help the starting...I can vaguely remember something like that, but I'm not shure about it's presence and it's purpose.

Another thing I heard(I hear a lot)is that a 8270 chassis is or used to be supplied with a starting device(someting like a capicitor between the BE relay and ground).

Does anybody/one know some more about this?

Little Helper needs help!
                So it goes.

Comment

Here we go... mechanical science 101:

A flourescent tube is nothing but a long, contained, electric spark; very similar to a neon tube. It works by using high voltage to send a spark through a tube filled with gases, usually mercury vapor, nitrogen, xenon, neon, etc... Since there is no oxygen in the tube, and it is under slight vacuum, the spark is not the crackling, crooked line like normal... it smooths out into a steady emission of UV and visible light. A powdered phosphor on the inside of the glass reacts with the UV, and changes it to visible light.

A "starter" on a flourescent tube does nothing but interrupt the current to the high-voltage transformer, causing the electricity in it to 'backlash' and produce an even higher starting voltage to "kick" the spark through the cold, and fairly resistive vapor. Once the "arc" in the tube is established, it maintains itself by exciting the vapor and gases inside the tube.

Touching a tube to start it works because your body has a small static charge, which attracts the ions inside the tube toward it, making it easier for the spark to 'jump the gap' inside the tube. You can sometimes reproduce this effect by taping 2 thin, bare wires to the outside of the tube, starting about 1/4" from the endcap of each side, and ending about 1/4" shy of each other at the center, in a straight line across the tube. This causes a static imbalance on the outside of the tube, near the wires, which attracts the ions very much like your hand does when touching the tube. The gap at the center insures that the imbalance will form, instead of making it neutral across the face of the bulb. A piece of #22 or #24 uncoated copper wire, attached to the bulb with scotch tape, will usually be enough to get the bulb started.

If this isn't perfectly clear to you, go ask Mr. Einstein for an explanation... you may need to take a shovel along to knock on his door... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                  <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Thanks for the tips Gman, today I tried the wires on the tubes on the way you desrcibed it and several other ways without succes, it even became worse, only touching the tube didn't help anymore. Just before I started thinking to give them a blow job they started to light up....
                    Mr. Einstein doesn't pick up the phone....
                    Before using your last suggestion(BEAT THEM), I called my supplyer today. Because they got more complains they will contact ZOT tonight.
                    In the meanwhile we leave our machines ON all day!

Martin
                    So it goes.

Comment

Well, you could always hire a potato off the street to run around and touch the bulbs when each machine starts up...

Just a thought... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

A Zot Pin deck Lamp fixture utilizes an electronic ballast. These ballasts are real touchy when the supply voltage gets to low. If you are running 115 Volt AC Units the voltage can not be below 100 volts AC. This could be the issue and please check the supply voltage to the fixture.
                        P J Rosendahl
                        www.bowlingfactoryoutlet.com

Comment

We have 230 volts in the Netherlands so that shouldn't be the problem.
                          Maybe having 50 Hz instead of 60 Hz is the problem ?????
                          I don't know if ZOT thought about that before shipping it to Europe.

Thanks anyway,

Martin
                          So it goes.

Comment

I haven't heard anything from ZOT yet.
                            I stop thinking about solving this problem myself(and ofcourse the help on BT).
                            I just consider this as a bad product and start wrenching my lost time....

Martin
                            So it goes.

Comment

Martin,

The same thing happens to my old deck lights, PLUS the lamps on the cieling over the lanes and machines. It only happens once or twice a year and I always end up digging light bulbs out of the trash the next morning. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X