Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needle in a haystack

What is the easyest an safest way to change the two needle(closed and open end)bearings in the distributors main casting?
    I have only one spare set and I have never changed them before...
    Any tricks/help is appreciated!

Thanks

Martin
    So it goes.

Re: Needle in a haystack

Fairly simple. Remove the retaining ring, the flat bearing and race. Punch out the old and press in the new. If you don’t have a press or your vise wont open far enough, you could use a block of wood as a punch for installing the new bearings. Make sure that the needles are well greased so they won’t fall out. When pressing in, I prefer to use a piece of hardwood shim in-between the vise jaws and the bearing so that the jaws won’t damage the surface of the bearing or the yolk.

Comment

Martin, if you do have to hit it in, make sure you have something inside the bearing to keep the needles from falling out or being damaged. Grease isn't enough if you have to hit it hard.

I would cut an extra shaft and weld a flange to it. Slip it inside your new bearing and hit it in with a computating hammer.

One more thing, heat the cast a little so that it isn't so brittle.
      Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Thanks for the input.Job has been done already.
        Wasn't as difficult as I thought.

Martin
        So it goes.

Comment

I know i'm a bit late on this one, but I just read this post for the first time.
          I have a Dayton bushing removal tool set from Grainger for driving out all types of bushings and bearings, The largest pilot tool in the set is perfect for these bearings. I support the casting firmly and drive the open-end one down to the closed-end one and drive them both out tegether.
          Before installing the new ones, I wash out the bore good, and polish it up with a tube cleaning power brush in a drill. I work it until the entire surface is uniform in appearance, but try not to overdo it. If (rare occassion) the bore ends up a little too big, and the new bearing taps in too easily, I add a little loctite bearing retaining compound to two sides of the bore.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
          Working...
          X