Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C1 plug, our first one

Well our first c1 plug has blown. Believe it or not we have been open for 12 years and this is our first ! Has anybody got any hints or suggestions. I know how to do it, just does any body have that little bit of extra info.

Will keep this going for a couple of days, because we ain't got any spares !

Re: C1 plug, our first one

Male or female side?
    So it goes.

Comment

Female, but i intend to change pins and plug on the male side also, just as a precaution.

My other question is, what tool do you use if you do not have the correct crimp tool to crimp the wire into place. A correct crimper starts at £50, approx $70 ! The boss won't let us buy one. We gonna try with pin nosed plyers or something. Our only worry is we may bend the pin out of shapr

Comment

Contact Stahl's, they have a good one for about 18 bucks
        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Hmmmm,
          I see you have one of those bosses. I suppose your boss will only buy you an adjustable wrench instead of complete combo set just to save a few bucks.

I have worked for bosses like that in the past. I explain to them that the quality of work is only as good as the tools. If he or she wants to risk a machine being down because of a short that can do a lot of damage from a poor crimp, then so be it. Worst-case scenario…FIRE. Once you put the ball in their court then its their a$$ when something happens.

I would highly recommend getting the proper tool for the job. You can search the Internet to find quality tools at a reasonable price. I paid $30 for my crimpers.

Comment

You can get a pin extractor at any Radio Shack.

If you have to re-pin the entire plug just leave the machine down until they buy you the proper tools.

Early in the morning go up front and take the empty cash register draws out of the registers.

See how long it takes the manager to replace them.

Owners and managers who treat the back end as "Out of sight, Out of mind" need a taste of their own medicine.

This is a perfect oppertunity for you to get some attention and start getting some respect.
            Leave the machine down!
            Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

You cannot expect the proprietor to buy tools.

It is not done that way at car dealerships or other industry.

It is for that reason I have my own tools......including all specialty tools.

Get a rollaround and lock em up.

That way if you want to seek other employment, you are ready to wrench.

You can get all the tools and box for under $2000.

Jerry

Comment

A pin extractor is a must... they are only a couple bucks at any decent electronics/electrical supply.

I REFUSE to crimp those connectors. I strip the wire long enough to inser it into the skirt of the pin, use needlenose pliers to fold the tabs over on to the wire, and then I solder it with good electronic-grade silver solder. I'm happy to say I've never had a problem with a wire pulling loose from a pin, no matter what I do to it. The little bit of extra effort is worth it.
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Stalker:
                  You can get a pin extractor at any Radio Shack.

If you have to re-pin the entire plug just leave the machine down until they buy you the proper tools.

Early in the morning go up front and take the empty cash register draws out of the registers.

See how long it takes the manager to replace them.

Owners and managers who treat the back end as "Out of sight, Out of mind" need a taste of their own medicine.

This is a perfect oppertunity for you to get some attention and start getting some respect.
                  Leave the machine down!
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I totally agree with this reply. Leave the machine down...sometimes we need proper tools not only to do the job right, but for safety's sake. It's kinda doing without a voltmeter/multimeter--CAN'T!
                  "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

King, let's say hmmmm posted this.

Let's say that he needed to replace some bad wood in the head area, 50 feet across the house. He has the patching stock but needs a router to perform the job.

Should hmmmm go out and buy a router just so he can fix this proprietors lanes.

Oh by the way, the four inch drain line needs snaked out so that the bar drains can flow freely. We'll replace that old plumbing someday.

Hmmmm bring in your Power Snake and Steamer so you can clean out those drain lines.

Starting to get the picture. Eventually every mech ends up with their own hand tools. The owner should provide the proper tools to perform each and every task asked of its employee!

Whether this means renting, buying, borrowing, things such as scaffolding, drills, bench grinders, vise, drill press, press, lane conditioning machine, you name it. If a specialty tool is needed to complete a job in the center where I work, then I'm not buying it unless I actually want one.

Only private contractors need to have their own tools, ladders, etc...

Hmmmm is an employee not a contractor.

Jerry, do you have your desk personal and porters buy matching shirts or do you supply them?

Comment

Cheers for all your comments. Will try and locate a supplier that sells cheaper crimps. If I have no luck Might pop over to the states for a set. You can get some cheap tickets these days.

Comment

Mike....each center should provide:
                        Amp tools.
                        Crimper.
                        Cup / Respot gauge.
                        Spring puller.
                        Spanner Wrench.
                        Table Flags.

I have all the above myself too.

If you want to roll up to another house and wrench and get paid well...and look professional....get your own tools.

Router...head replacement...that is a job for a resurfacer.

Jerry

Comment

Well the good news is, we've changed the pins and all appears well. Were leaving the lane cycling on it's own till close of business just to make sure. Nothing worse than giving a lane back and it breaks soon after. Thankfully that doesn't happen. An ex-collegue who now works on combine harvesters (Brunswicks !) actually has the crimping tool I require and is sending it to me in the post tonight. Now I will be able to take the tool into the shop and show them what i require. This morning I was only taking the pins and asking if they had the correct tool to crimp wire into the pins. Many of these helpful staff looked at the pins in amazement, "Never seen one like that before."

Out of interest does anybody have the radio shack part number for the crimping tool ?

Mark

Comment

Jerry, (the head mechanic has his own tools)

if the head mechanic works 40 hours a week and the center is open 96 hours a week; are tools only available when the head mech is on duty?

Which of the following would you suggest. The head mech isn't due back until Monday morning because he is visiting relatives 200 miles away. A machine goes down on Friday night, several pins are burnt on the C1 plug which was caused because the back-end motor wiring on the motor terminal board came loose and shorted. Besides re-pinning the C1 plug the night guy also needs a puller to change the sheave on the back-up backend motor.

Should

A) the machine stay down until Monday morning?

B) the head mech supply all other machine room employees with keys to his toolboxes?

C) the center have its own shop tools engraved, locked up and inventoried daily?

D) the manager call the competitions head mech because your center doesn't have the tools to perform the job?

I have about $30,000 - $40,000 of my own tools. All my own power tools from 90 degree drills to presses to portabands and welders, I even have an electromagnetic drillpress plus I supply my own computer lane analyzer and laptop to handle it or other lane conditioning equiptment. This is a luxury for me because I believe in having the right tool for the job. Not everyone can afford their own tools.

Every center should have the basic handtools and drills, vise, solvent tank, pullers, bearing packer, grease guns, multi-meter, and AMF service tools to perform equiptment repairs.

What if the head mech quits and you need to find another and it takes you months.

I know you run your own center, you also have your own tools because you've also wrenched for awhile, but other owners and managers read these forums too. If an employees does not have the right tool for the job not only will the downtime be extended but safety and the quality of work will also be compromised.

That's all I have for now.

JJ says if you've chosen C your business will flourish and prosper. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

JJ says what works for some peaple doesn't work for others.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X