Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Bounce Plates

Just out of curiosity how many years of abuse do you think the original AMF bounce-plates take before they snap. I just had one snap. First one I have seen in 5 years of working here.

Re: Broken Bounce Plates

They will last forever unless someone puts on the solid vibrtion dampeners.....always use the original style that AMF produced.

If you use the original....you migh have 1 break every couple years for 24 machines......provided the t-bars are secured properly.

Jerry

Comment

Those original bounce plates are SOLID! I agree with king. If you keep everything tight and don't put the hard vibration dampeners they can literally last forever! If they break at all, I usually see a corner break off or a little piece, but I've never seen one snap if half. I wonder exactly what material they are made of?? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] The new ones aren't even close!

Louie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
      Experience: Currently Help Maintain 44 82-30s and 50 82-70s.

Comment

Why does the center piece break at the ball exit? While We'e on the subject, I had two break within a week, ont the same lane, both pieces being solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mas8230:
          Why does the center piece break at the ball exit? While We'e on the subject, I had two break within a week, ont the same lane, both pieces being solid.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] ????
          Center piece at the ball exit??
          Explain please.
          Thanks,
          Martin
          So it goes.

Comment

All you guys out there with t-bars are fortunate. I had none when I started at the center. Have half the house converted now.

Comment

We have been running T-bar bounce plates for quite a few years now with the Vantage "block-type" vibration dampener, and have had less problems (like bounceboards breaking, brackets snapping, etc...) than we ever did with the flimsy AMF ones.

Those AMF dampeners are junk... We rebuilt the pit on a machine, including dampeners, pit brackets, and bounce plate rebuild. We had to pull the pit a few months later, because a cup broke, fell in the pit, and ripped the carpet... 2 out of the 4 AMF dampeners were separated... in the space of MONTHS!

You cannot bond rubber to flat metal vertically, and then place "shearing" downward force on it. The rubber will just peel away from the steel. Vantage's idea of placing the rubber horizontally, and letting the force be absorbed by COMPRESSING the rubber was one of the best ideas ever for AMF machines, that should have been a no-brainer from AMF from the beginning. I wouldn't mind seeing a vibe dampener made out of the same stuff as the "red lightning" kickers are, because I really think it would be even better, and quieter than the rubber ones, but I'll never go back to the AMF ones.
              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

G....I beg to differ....our bounce boards were all genuine when I started putting in the Vantage style bounce board breakers......I bet in a poll more people say they break boards then not.....no one has made the new style out of soft rubber yet....when they do....I will try them again.

Jerry

Comment

My 7-cents worth:

Old original AMF boards were often referred to as masonite and were laminated. Usually delaminated before breaking.

Vantage's early boards broke within a year. I dropped one once on the floor and it shattered! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Vantage then developed the phenolic prototype and called it "The Terminator". Haven't lost one of these yet.

Skipping over the "HDPE/BowlTuf" nightmare era (don't forget AMF's 1-Piece (of cr__ __)), AMF now has what I believe to be the best phenolic board out. Been using them for over 3 years with no breakage, cracking, or warping.

Anyone else ever try Quality's laminated wood bounce plate? (I'll hold my comments until I see a reply)

AMF's vibration dampeners: can't get more than a year oput of those. HyLine had one that lasted at least 4 years, but they're gone. All of the "sheer-type" dampeners are off-the-shelf items, manufactured in long strips, and cut/drilled to specs for the distributor (AMF, Quality, JCP, etc). In the HyLine one, the center part and the two side pieces are 90 degrees perpendicular to level, rather than on an angle. The U-shaped center piece is larger, leaving room for a good flat washer.
                  You can get a strip just like it, as long as 30", from McMaster-Carr, cut 12 dampeners out of it, and the end cost comes to about $3 or $4 per.

I'd love to see a compression-type unit made with softer material. It's got to absorb impact.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Just to add a bit more info, we're still using all of our "original" AMF 3/4-1" masonite bounceboards, and in the 13 years I've been there, I've never seen one delaminate or break...even after going with the "stacked" vibe dampeners.

There is one big cause of delamination in masonite: moisture. If you clean your carpets with "soaking" amounts of liquid, or don't use a vaccum recovery type of setup to take most of the moisture out of the carpet, or if you have a dampness-pone floor (like concrete), your bounceboards will fall apart. To see if you have a moisture problem, look at the lower legs and levelers on the machines... if they're rusty, there's a decent amount of moisture coming off the floor.

The only thing that we had some breakage on was the bounceplate brackets on the machine... and since we've gone to the reinforced-style ones, that isn't even a problem anymore.
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I thought Murrey had a soft "new style" vibration dampner. I remember reading about it in a post.
                      Anyway- I've had plenty of broken boards with AMF style dampners and none so far with Vantage. I am using both Vantage and AMF phenolic boards to replace original cracked and broken ones. The Vantage dampners that I put on the original style AMF boards I drill a 3/8" hole through each "leg" of the dampner to help it give a little more. So far, so good. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I too, use the Vantage style dampeners with no problems. I've had bad luck with the original AMF dampeners failing after a few months. Just too much of a PITA to go in and pull a pit for a lousey dampener.
                        "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

I have only had one board break in the 9 years I've been there. All my pits have original AMF dampeners on with no problems. The new phoenalic boards are just as good in my opinion. The one I did replace was 5 years ago and it's still lookin good.
                          Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                          Working...
                          X