Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 mod

I was out doing a little PR with my customers today and stopped by a center that has 70’s. The mechanic was telling me about a change that he made with the distributors that solved 90% of his problems. Please don’t knock this until you try it because I was blown away with how well it worked.

He removed the trough that is mounted below the belt just in front of the orientation pan. He left the rod that goes across the frame there but the trough or “pan” is removed. The pins come off the kidney and go right up the distributor. It was probably the best orientation (my pan wipes installed) and pin delivery that I had ever seen on a 70.

Give it a shot! I think you will be amazed!

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Re: 70 mod

Originally posted by Sponge Bob:
    He removed the trough that is mounted below the belt just in front of the orientation pan. He left the rod that goes across the frame there but the trough or “pan” is removed. The pins come off the kidney and go right up the distributor. It was probably the best orientation (my pan wipes installed) and pin delivery that I had ever seen on a 70.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Hmmmmm, I dunno about this one. Please post if anyone here has tried it.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Seems to me that tension would be a MUST in this situation. Hmm...im tempted to try this one out right now. I got a dist that is driving me up the wall! If I get done with the Kustodian by 1 I might take this idea for a spin. Geez...never would have thought id like it. Guess there is a first time for everything.

deadwood
      Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

I would think thick belts would be a must on this one.........I am a little skepticle on this one......do you leave in the circle tube that keeps the sides on?....what happens when the pin hits the carriage.......heavier pins in the future by ABC mandate?

Jerry

Comment

The pin rail and O-pan adjustments are what make great orientation. If those two components are adjusted properly, and kept clean, then you should have no problem reguardless of the dist belt.

You want them adjusted so head first and bottom first pins come off at the same speed and keep equal distance between all pins.
          Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

I thought he was yanking my chain also until I actually watched it run. He left the spacers in…just took out the pan. He mostly had the black rough top belts in but I did see a few of the white AMF belts mixed. I was kind of pissed at my self because I usually take my camera out to the centers with me and forgot to grab it when I left. I might have to run out there again next week, if I do I will be sure to get some pics.

Don’t be so skeptical……I remember the look a lot of my customers gave me when I told them to swap kidneys. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

I have been running them like that for 10 years. It helps to keep the pins from rolling off the side of the distributor. That way you can have the pins fall off the kidney as fast as you want. It works best with the thicker belts, but will work with the thinner ones also. One note: put a 1/4" washer between the center spacer and each of the short outer ones (where the belt runner would be) This helps to prevent over-stressing the side rails when you tighten down the long 1/4-20 bolt that goes through the "tube" spacers.

Pete

Comment

Where'd ya learn that one, poplarpetey? (Let me guess)
                PP's right. I tried it just before him and noticed that thicker belts do a slightly better job.
                One additional thing I did: after a few years I noticed a wear spot on the tube that connected the two side rails, so I came up with a simple roller that the belt can ride on. Instead of the long spacer normally used, I used the short tube (with bronze sleeve bushings) and its inner spacer (both used in the tensioner) between the washers mentioned by poplarpetey. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by BowlEquip:
                  Where'd ya learn that one, poplarpetey? (Let me guess)
                  PP's right. I tried it just before him and noticed that thicker belts do a slightly better job.
                  One additional thing I did: after a few years I noticed a wear spot on the tube that connected the two side rails, so I came up with a simple roller that the belt can ride on. Instead of the long spacer normally used, I used the short tube (with bronze sleeve bushings) and its inner spacer (both used in the tensioner) between the washers mentioned by poplarpetey. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Funny you mention the spacer. The mechanic that I met with asked me if I could get them made for him. I have been working with a machinist that cuts plastic and I sent the OEM spacer out to him yesterday to get a bid to have them made.

Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

When I was reading this I thought "might work".
                    Tried it today on one machine and I think "I'm never-ever gonna put that belt runner back".
                    Thanks for the great tip Sir Charles!

Martin
                    So it goes.

Comment

Welcome Beer!

Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Hey Bowlequip! That's one you can't take credit for. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] I was runnin' 'em like that before I started working for you. :p [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Pete(PP?)

Comment

OK how about some pictures.

You could even include some of this dist. mod. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

I would like to see this one.

Comment

The KING decrees this mod is good for his subjects....LMAO

I did this mod to lane 10 today.....id does work well.....I will go across the house over the next week or 2.

Jerry

Comment

What can we make of all those belt runners???
                              Can we make a bigger belt protector of them????

To Ed, Pop. and Bquip

Martin
                              So it goes.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X