Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for new part

Make a larger and deeper drip pan for BE gearboxes........keep the mess off the floor and side plates as our machines age....

Jerry

Re: Idea for new part

Scott Paper Co. makes blue paper shop towels. When I worked on 70's, I cut them in half, folded the half double (long and thin), folded the half in half (short and thin) and used a thin piece of cardboard to insert it in the drip pan under the gearbox. It can be a bit messy if you don't clean the pan first, but the end of the towel sticks out of the pan a little so that the towel can be checked for saturation and changed if necessary. Its easy and quick. The perfect job for the night man.

Comment

jer, you use to work on "b" machines....throw a maxi pad in there. i just fold up a shop rag a few times and put it in the pan. i check them when i grease my stop blades.

alex
      Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
      Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
      Cloth: ShamWow!
      Machine: Johnny 5
      Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

shame?? you leave rags....hanging in the pan on the BE???
        Why yes, we wax them everyday!

Comment

Hey king....bigger pan...and maybe some wicks ..from some of these old pad machines.
          Why yes, we wax them everyday!

Comment

jeff, i leave a shop rag in the pan. we got the 90xl upgrade so our motor mount differently. is there a potential hazzard, that i should be aware of, with rags in the tray?

alex
            Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
            Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
            Cloth: ShamWow!
            Machine: Johnny 5
            Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Ain't it annoying when you get oil drippage on the plows, but he pan isn't even full? It seeps out through the holes. I now use sealing washers on the heads of the bolts (head down, nut on top), plus a thin rubber washer between the pan and the motor housing.

The sealing washer I mentioned is the type made of steel with rubber bonded to one side. It's available from McMaster-Carr and most other industrial suppliers.

Comment

Has anyone seen the price for those B.E. drip pans?? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

We use Tampons.
                  Necessity IS NOT the mother of invention. Laziness IS the mother of invention.

Comment

Originally posted by gaemes:
                    We use Tampons.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I needed this much information:

[ -------------- ]

That comment was over here someplace:

[ -------------- ]------------->{*}

Warn me before you do that again... so I can skip over it. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

I can see the new AMF book now... 070-999-666 Tampon, BE drip pan (pkg of 6)
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by gaemes:
                      We use Tampons.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you for that mental image. Strings hanging off the back of each machine...

"You're listening to WTMI -- the Way Too Much Information station."

Comment

Replace leaky seals and gaskets to avoid drippage.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gaemes:
                          We use Tampons.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I needed this much information:

[ -------------- ]

That comment was over here someplace:

[ -------------- ]------------->{*}

Warn me before you do that again... so I can skip over it. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

I can see the new AMF book now... 070-999-666 Tampon, BE drip pan (pkg of 6)
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ROFL!!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I think it would go somewhere in 070 011 XXX or 610 704 XXX though...

Comment

Brunswick recommends Trany stop leak,I drained all my combo boxes last summer and along with new oil addded 1 shot glass of NAPA stop leak for trannys and stopped most of the leaks,don't know for how long but my drip pans are dry,use seals from AMF, they seem to fit a little better than the ones from elseware.

Comment

Don -
                              If you would stop ripping your 022 dist output seals when you install them then they wouldn't leak. It doesn't matter what company's seal you buy - there are standard sizes of seals in the seal industry. Just find the cheapest one that your distributor can get for you. That's all.

As for your stop-leak notion: 1) Thinning the oil is quite the opposite of any advice I've ever received, and not relative to any of the experience I've had rebuilding gearboxes or assembling hundreds of new Vantage gearboxes.
                              2) Auto transmissions do not contain ball bearings. I don't know if Brunswick gearboxes do or not. At any rate, the additives that swell seals in stop leak additives will adhere themselves to ball bearings in heat and cause wear and premature failure. I look forward to filling your bearing order.

No seal is 100% perfect. There has to be some infantesimal gap in order for the shaft to turn and not rip the seal. The thicker the oil, the less-likely it is to get through that gap. The compromise is reached between where leakage is minimized and the oil gets to the top of the gearbox quickly. This is what AMF (or GE or maybe Westinghouse) engineers determined to be the optimum weight for this gearbox - 156W.

Vantage has improved on this by 1) Making it viscous enough to qualify over 156 weight but making it as light as though it were 90 weight.
                              2) Adding detergent to a traditonally non-detergent gearbox so that it will clean your gearbox at the same time as it makes the thing run. It's still a good idea to clean your gearboxes with kerosene before pouring in a bottle of V280, but V280 will help clean the crap out of your gearbox.

I don't know if it will clean the crap from stop-leak out of your gearbox. Certainly, it will take a while to work. Nobody has done that before. Leave it to you to apply suggestions from Brunswick (if that's true) to AMF machines.

People like Deadwood make good suggestions that are heeded. People like you make poor suggestions that are discarded.

Chad.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X