Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo-test box

Hi all Im not good at electronics so I was wondering if you FINE people here can help me. I would like to make a test box for combo motors..
    mainly for 82-70 nationals... Ive read the book but I'll be damned if I can understand it..this is what I would like in the box...on/off switch..reverse(for sweep reverse) fuse...and run switch....Im just a lonely b-mechnic learning so any help would be great..
    thanks
    BTW read my post in the 82-70 section..it was supposed to be in this forum ..but I mis posted..
    I know I know..30's but why? Cause My hand got stuck in the 70s shuttle once and it hurt...NEver again NEVER

Re: Combo-test box

We have one... it uses a control box from a shur-pik for the housing (with the plus of having a fuse already built into it). You will need a set of start caps, a chassis contactor, a 24-volt AC transformer (a doorbell xfmr, or the original one from a shurpik box / foul light chassis), a spring-back switch to start/stop the motor(like a sweep reverse switch), and a heavy duty DPDT standard switch to control motor direction... some heavy extension-cord wire, a 3-prong standard plug, and the pigtail from a sweep motor (complete w/ motor plug). You can use a front plate from a gearbox as a mounting for the motor during testing (needs to be held in place against the torque... if not, it'll roll off the bench when it starts.

I'll have to see if I can come up with a wiring diagram... I know the parts, but I 'inherited' it, and didn't build it.

For a much easier solution than the pain in the butt above:

You can test motors without building a test box... get a male plug from a combo motor, some 5 or 6 conductor #12 or #14 cord, and a female (machine side) motor plug. Build an "extension cord" by wiring all the pins straight through, that will reach your bench or the floor behind a machine. To use it, unplug a sweep motor on a machine, attach your extension cord, plug in your motor to be tested, secure it with a clamp, plate, or your foot, turn on the machine, leaving only the "sweep" switch powered on. and then use the "Sweep Run" and "Sweep Reverse/Sweep Run" switches to operate the motor. Works as good as a test box, and no complicated wiring needed... the machine already has that... may as well use it.

In case anyone is wondering... Up until recently, I was a one-man-band mechanic, trying to keep up a 30-lane 82-70 house (with foul lights, shurpiks, and Qubica scoring thrown in as well) in FAR less than 40 hours a week (more like 10 or less)... I've had to find LOTS of 'timesavers' and hairbrained gadgets to even attempt to keep the joint running, with as little extra work as possible while doing it... that's where most of the homemade tools and things I post about come from.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I have one........

JK

Comment

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
        If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

thanks felix..
          I know I know..30's but why? Cause My hand got stuck in the 70s shuttle once and it hurt...NEver again NEVER

Comment

Anyone interested in buying a combo motor tester that looks alot better than this one. If you are interested let me know I will send you pics of one!!

Comment

Jandlecox....is it covered in velvet or what? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Jerry

Comment

No, but it looks a whole lot better. Not knocking the one posted just commenting!!!

Comment

very nice felix...i can follow most of the wires....but can you or King send me in real people terms where all those wires go. im like wally ive read it in the AMF book, but ill be damned if i can care to undertand all the damn symbols. and dont care to blow up a couple motors or boxes getting it right. Ive always used G-mans method

thx coors

Comment

hey thanks coors Ive been meaning to ask that question..I was having trouble fowling the lines from the cables to the termanal strip... if its any help if your going to tell us how to do this... could you use the standard colours from the motor pug...i believe they are ..black..white..orange..green and red...if thats standard? anyway thanks

Comment

I have a nice one that a friend started a few years ago. Last year I finished it and added a switch to check both forward and reverse windings. Also added l.e.d.s to indicate direction.

No contactor.

I'll take pics if I can pry the camera from my wifes grip. She's a realtor and uses it daily.
                      Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Coors and Wally,

I drew up a “laymen’s” schematic of my combo motor tester. If you want to take a look at it, I can e-mail it to you. My combo tester doesn’t use a relay. The run and reverse switches can take the load and a relay isn’t necessary.

BTW, if somebody wants to host my schematic, your welcome to post it on bowltech. Hopefully somebody can review it and let me know if there are any errors.

Triac

Comment

tanks triac..if you could email me that would be great..neuman1812@charter.net

Comment

Wally,

Its on its way.

Triac

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                              Coors and Wally,

I drew up a “laymen's” schematic of my combo motor tester. If you want to take a look at it, I can e-mail it to you. My combo tester doesn't use a relay. The run and reverse switches can take the load and a relay isn't necessary.

BTW, if somebody wants to host my schematic, your welcome to post it on bowltech. Hopefully somebody can review it and let me know if there are any errors.

Triac
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you'd like it hosted, I've started up a 'bowling stuff' section on my site... send me a scan or pic of it, and I'll put it up for ya.

gman@globalgman.com
                              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X