Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpet

Hiw do you take out the carpet and both rollers out of a 82-70????

Re: carpet

Everyone has their own tricks and procedures for doing it. I'll give you the way we do it... Some guys remove the cushion before starting... I don't, so it's not mentioned in there. And if the carpet is boogered and needs to be replaced, save yourself some disassembly headaches and cut it out of the machine with a utility knife.

Here's the condensed version (assuming you have a basic knowledge of the 82-70's assemblies:

1. SHUT OFF AND LOCK OUT THE POWER TO THE PAIR YOU ARE WORKING ON, AND ALSO TO THE MACHINES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE PAIR.

2. Drop the belts and loosen the setscrews in the drive sheave on the back roller of the machine you are removing the carpet/rollers from. Remove the paddle (if your machines have one).

3. Flex one of the front roller brackets back with a prybar & hold it there, then place a 1/4" bolt (1/4-20/28) bolt through the hole in the sideplate so it can engage the edge of the bracket. GET YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THE WAY. Ease the bar back until the roller bracket is held flexed by the tip of the bolt. Repeat on the opposite roller bracket.

4. After the brackets are pinned, you can lift up on the front roller and roll it over the brackets until it pops free and rolls away under the carpet. Slide it out the ball door into the opposite machine in the pair.

5. Look under the machine at the non-drive end of the back roller. There is a bracket that locks the roller in place (some call it the question mark bracket because of how it looks)... The handle of the bracket is held by a tab of metal. Move the bracket away from the tab to free it, then let it travel back PAST the tab. This will lower the end of the shaft. Lift up the roller so the bearing is free of the retainer, then return the bracket to it's locked position. There will be a big hole under it in the sideplates that will allow the shaft to be slid out under the machine of the adjoining pair. You will have to slide it a little way out, then go to the ball exit and get the sheave the rest of the way off the shaft. Guide the shaft the rest of the way free of the machine.

6. The carpet is now free of the rollers. To remove it, the bounceplate has to be removed as well. Lift up the edges of the carpet, and remove the four nuts recessed in the middle of the vibration dampeners (2 per side).

7. (Plan on using a lot of foul language). Lift the bounceplace/carpet up off of the mounting bracket studs, and get it up on to the pindeck. You can now slide them on the lane out to the front of the machine.

Voila'... carpet and rollers are out. Check the bearings and pivots, replace the vibe dampeners any broken bolts on the bounceplate, replace rubber "half-circle" bearing supports (4 of them), and inspect the inner pit and brackets for any wear or breakage. Reverse the removal procedure, and you're back to running again.

Did I miss anything, anyone?
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">7. (Plan on using a lot of foul language). Lift the bounceplace/carpet up off of the mounting bracket studs, and get it up on to the pindeck. You can now slide them on the lane out to the front of the machine.

Man so its not "JUST ME" that lets fly of some rather explicit language when removing bounce plates?
      AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

Hey G Man how do you usually re-fit your front roller support springs??

I usually connect the spring to the support first then put a thin flat blade screw driver through the other end of the spring and lever it over the pin, is that how you do it?
        AS REQUESTED....The all new and VERY improved "super cool" Pin_Head with super hip shades.....

Comment

7. (Plan on using a lot of foul language). Lift the bounceplace/carpet up off of the mounting bracket studs, and get it up on to the pindeck. You can now slide them on the lane out to the front of the machine.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL

Nice little disclaimer at the beginning [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] They're really a lot of fun to try and get out when ya weigh all of 120 pounds soaking wet like I do, thus there's a lot of foul language used [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] Procedure looks correct here, only difference is I do pull the cushion, gives more working space and allows me to just lean the bounce plate on the pindeck and back of the red shield (where the 1/2 moon goes) and just slide it out the back right into the back instead of taking it out thru the front, makes it much easier for me. But that's all personal preference, whatever works best for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of pit jobs :p

Rep [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Pinhead: Some guys save a bent carriage tube and hack the end off at a 45 degree angle. THen they stick the cut hole over the shaft that holds the spring and slide it on. It gives you less marjin of error since the carriage tube fits right over that little shaft.

deadwood
            Well thats just like your opinion man...

Comment

Deadwood

That's exactly how we do it. Get the spring on first go every time.

Comment

I have threw many a temper tantrum when changing a carpet.

Jerry

Comment

There was a serviceman from AMF who supposedly could remove the rollers and carpet at the same time.

Jerry

Comment

King I heard of a mech taking out the rollers and the cartpet at the same time. He started doing that on 30's. Not a lot of wiggle room doing it that way.

The only thing that I also do is I do take out the bounce plate. It only takes a couple of minutes and gives you a lot more room. Just remember if you are going to do this take out the mounting bolts from the bracket on the ball door side in case you have a bolt brake or something. It is hard to get at a broken bolt on the common side not any room there.

Yea this job goes easy until you almost have it the the bad language begins! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The cushion assy. has to go to get my big a$$ in there. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by 82/70 king:
                        There was a serviceman from AMF who supposedly could remove the rollers and carpet at the same time.

Jerry
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Back in "69" when I was a young whipper snapper and didn't know any better... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] that's the way we had to take 'em out, [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] because there wasn't enough room {the machines sat lower than the walkway and you could only fit sideway's between the mach. &amp; walkway}. :p
                        If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Well... Since I have a lot of different replies...
                          <hr width="90%">
                          <font color="#005500" face="Times New Roman">
                          Originally posted by Pin_Head:</font><font color="#0000FF" face="Times New Roman">
                          Hey G Man how do you usually re-fit your front roller support springs??</font>
                          <font color="#330000" face="Arial"> About the same way you do... I use a big flathead screwdriver. I ground a notch into the edge of the blade to help hold the spring from sliding off. It's long enough that I can hook the spring on to the post, and then leverage it into the hole in the bracket without too much difficulty.</font>
                          <font color="#330000" face="Arial">...and no... it's not just you cursing away at the bounceplate... I purchase several more acres of real estate in Hell every time I change one...</font>
                          <hr width="90%">
                          Originally posted by Rep:</font><font color="#0000FF" face="Times New Roman">
                          only difference is I do pull the cushion</font>
                          <font color="#330000" face="Arial"> Yeah... quite a few guys do... I learned to do it without taking it out, and I figure that it's one less piece I have to worry about putting back in... I dislike the job enough that I'll try to prevent prolonging it by having to reassemble more pieces...</font>

<font color="#0000FF" face="Times New Roman">
                          slide it out the back right into the back instead of taking it out thru the front</font>
                          <font color="#330000" face="Arial"> I take a toolbox with all the bolts, vibe dampeners, and brackets to rebuild the bounceplate out on the lanes, rebuild it there, and then skid it right back into the machine... again, the less lifting, twisting, yelling, cursing, and throwing things that I have to do, the better.</font>
                          <hr width="90%">
                          Originally posted by 82/70 King:</font><font color="#0000FF" face="Times New Roman">
                          The cushion assy. has to go to get my big a$$ in there.</font>
                          <font color="#330000" face="Arial"> No excuses... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] If my 6'4" 310lb arse can stuff it in there with the cushion intact, anyone can. Suck it in, suck it up, and quit'cher whining... :p [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

I have an awkward, ungraceful-looking way to get the plate and carpet out, but it's the easiest one I found for me... I put one foot down to the crossframe of the floor under the cushion, and the other foot I put out on the deck. I grab the sides of the bounceplate, lift it straight up, and get the edge of it resting on the deck under my leg. I swing my foot from the pindeck down to the pit, then lift up the plate flat to the deck and slide it out. One of these days I might wind up with my (<u>o</u>)<u>o</u>) on the floor, but it works for now... </font>
                          <hr width="90%">
                          Originally posted by felix:</font><font color="#0000FF" face="Times New Roman">
                          that's the way we had to take 'em out, because there wasn't enough room {the machines sat lower than the walkway </font>
                          <font color="#330000" face="Arial"> I didn't even want to get into that (very sore) subject... Our "new side" machines (17-30) were installed so low to the floor that there's only about 2-3" of room under the wheel. I dread any time I start hearing a roller bearing getting worn or a carpet fraying... I know it's a prelude to a lot of time, unnecessary work, and more foul language than you'd ever hear in a busy truck stop. </font>
                          <hr width="90%">
                          <font color="#000000" face="Arial Bold">
                          Not one of my favorite jobs, but a necessary evil, I guess... </font>
                          <div align="center"><font color="#4422CC" face="Lucida Handwriting" size=+2>G</font><font color="#220066" face="Lucida Handwriting" size=+2>Man</font></div>
                          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Save yourself some more time. Keep a spare RH and LH bounce plate assy built up in stock. Then you can simply replace the assy. and you can rebuild the bad bounce plate assy at your leisure, or even have the night guys do it. I, personally, remove the cushion assy. I prefer having the room and to keep everything in the back and not pulling things up on the lane.

Comment

I have 2 spare bounce plates for each side ready to go......2 front and rear rollers too.

JK

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X