Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Hey guys...
    I've been reading posts on this board for a few months now, and have been impressed at the level of expertise from many of you. Take a look at the situation I'm facing, and any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    I've been a C mechanic in a house with 40 82-70s for roughly 5 months now. I work only part-time in this capacity- my "day job" is with the parts/service department of an industrial truck (forklift) company. I generally turn around 20 hours or so on the pinspotters, in the evenings.
    Until just now, that is. As of Friday the 18th of April, we simultaneously lost our Head Mechanic/Facilities manager, and our two B mechanics. (From these designations I'm certain you can correctly guess which major chain I work for.)
    This sudden major turnover leaves me as the only remaining mechanic, with two recently hired trainees I'm struggling to get up to speed simply to handle the basic calls, oiling, maintenance, etc. In time, of course, the situation will improve as they (and I) gain experience, but for the time being I'm getting a lot thrust on me in terms of workload and responsibility.
    I'm posting here mainly, I suppose, to introduce myself and ask for your help in some of the more major repairs or problems I will inevitably face very soon. For instance, just last night when I went to clear a ball return, I found the cause to be that the carpet on 17 was turning up at the exit, torn, and fraying badly; obviously we're gonna have to pull the pit and replace this carpet very soon. <groan>
    Repairs of this magnitude aren't really something I'm totally prepared for at this point in time! I'm wondering if you can recommend any good resources for "major" repairs and overhauls...y'know, the stuff that "pinchasers" like myself aren't necessarily qualified to tackle. Beyond that I trust I can get help from all of you, if you don't get too irritated with my occasional (and probably stupid) questions.
    Thanks a lot...

PS- GP and RB, I know you used to sometimes haunt these boards yourselves, so if you run across this post, stop laughing long enough to give me a phone call from time to time so I can gripe at you for leaving me in this position! lol
    One of my desk idiots recently mentioned that he believed he got the majority of his calls correct. I had to explain to him that he shouldn't confuse his ability to make calls with my ability to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

Re: Help!

Start at lane 1.....run along the cat walk......jump on the front of every distributor trip arm.......go out the front door.......keep running.....LOL [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] how is that Cruddie buddy!

JK

Comment

Padawan, welcome to bowling and Bowltech.

Tell your manager to get on the stick and get some qualified help in there ASAP. I'm sure that you can probablly get through some of the obvious repairs but 70's are mostly electrical and you could easilly make matters worse trying to fix something.

I've been in centers where the C1 and C2A harness had been pulled because the worker couldn't isolate a problem.

Whatever you adjust, do it by the manual and follow all the steps in sequence.

That is just the machines; electronic scoring does not run forever.

If you're willing to train, tell the man to send you to AMF school during this summer. If he does not, 40 lanes can bite you in the rear quickly, if the machines don't the bowlers will.

Sounds like another AMF center cleaning house!
      Good Luck
      Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

King: Only one problem with your advice...I clearly remember from early training that per AMF regs, under no circumstances are mechanics permitted to move from one machine to another via the catwalks. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Mike: I personally would have no problem with school, would in fact LOVE to do it if it were available on a weekend basis perhaps, but most tech schools I've seen are through an entire week- which isn't feasible considering my "real" job- and in my case particularly, you can rest assured that AMF doesn't pay my bills, Carolina Forklift does. I actually inquired about a service school coming up this fall, but was told you had to be B level or higher to attend. Although if you know of any programs I might could enroll in without interfering with my nine-to-fiver too much, I'd love some info.
        One of my desk idiots recently mentioned that he believed he got the majority of his calls correct. I had to explain to him that he shouldn't confuse his ability to make calls with my ability to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Padawan:
          per AMF regs, under no circumstances are mechanics permitted to move from one machine to another via the catwalks. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">R&amp;SATCLMAO!!!! = Running and Skipping Across the Catwalks!!

"Look Mother Im Running with scissors!!!!"

Comment

welcome pada, and thanx for the laugh, ive needed one, have no fear, you wont need (All out of Money For.now training with us here! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Padawan....
              GP and I aren't laughing AT you... just in your general direction! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
              You know what they say... Another Mechanic Fleeing!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
              Working...
              X