Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS VS SS

I hear good story's about solid state switches but I have never had a good one working in my place.
    I know good and bad story's about centrifugal switches and I will keep on using them because I don't have problems with them.
    In my opinion a SS is a dumb timer that does not know the speed of the motor.
    In my opinion the CS is smarter and will switch off if the motor is at the right speed.
    What's wrong with changing them every three years??
    Your opinions please, I feel like I'm from the stone age.....

Martin
    So it goes.

Re: CS VS SS

We use SS switches on our motors. Cent.'s work fine too but when they do go we put the switches in. We dont use the SS switches due to cent. problems or anything, they work and work pretty well. But solid state switches last longer so once a cent needs to be changed we replace it with a SSS. Just my $0.02 [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I think its just personal preference. We also replace centrif. with SS as they go bad. The SS's seem to last as long as the centrif. In a Westinghouse motor you have the centrif. switch, the aux. switch and the centrif. mechanism. You can basically eliminate all three with the SS. Cost factor- the 2 switches in the motor cost around $35 total. The SS from grainger costs about $18.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Lampie:
        [QB}
        In my opinion a SS is a dumb timer that does not know the speed of the motor.
        In my opinion the CS is smarter and will switch off if the motor is at the right speed.
        Martin[/QB]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe they only work perfect at 110V/60HZ.
        Maybe I'm the only one having problems with SS switches, I did try several brands but I don't trust them...........

MHHH
        So it goes.

Comment

SS has too much coasting....go to relays on lane at a time....no coasting and they last for years......5 minute swap.

JK

Comment

i eliminated that problem al my motors are side maounts dont have those switches to deal with

Comment

Originally posted by poplarpetey:
              The SS from grainger costs about $18.

Pete
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please elaborate on this a little. Part Number? Catalog page?

I currently use the Tuffy Motor Start Relays from Stahls with GREAT success, just might be easier since Grainger is right next door.
              "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

I have been using ss from Bowltronics now for about eight years. In that time I have had about three fail. I've run them on both GE &amp; West Combos &amp; BE. The ones that failed were fixed for free and back running the next day. They cost about $22 and are guarenteed for 2 years. One switch for both motors too, and they are easy to wire up. These along with their solid state contactors make for almost trouble free electrical operation of any motor.

THE DOCTOR
                AMF DOCTOR
                The doctor makes house calls.
                http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

Comment

Kat- Grainger part # is 6X550. They are the same relays that AMF used to sell in a kit. I don't have the catalog with me. It's a little square black relay. I believe they call it a potential relay. Made by GE.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by poplarpetey:
                    Kat- Grainger part # is 6X550. They are the same relays that AMF used to sell in a kit. I don't have the catalog with me. It's a little square black relay. I believe they call it a potential relay. Made by GE.

Pete
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Many thanks. I wonder if it's the same thing that Stahls sends out. They look identical.
                    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Originally posted by AMFDOCTOR:
                      I have been using ss from Bowltronics now for about eight years. In that time I have had about three fail. I've run them on both GE &amp; West Combos &amp; BE. The ones that failed were fixed for free and back running the next day. They cost about $22 and are guarenteed for 2 years. One switch for both motors too, and they are easy to wire up. These along with their solid state contactors make for almost trouble free electrical operation of any motor.
                      THE DOCTOR
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am a Bowltronics fan......however I found their SS switch on the sweep would trip the klixon if there were 2 pins wedged in the flat gutter or if someone hit the sweep...........this happened on more than one lane andmore than one switch.

JK

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                      Working...
                      X