Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHERE DID THE 82/70 COME FROM?

O.k., the 82/70 was/is manufactured by AMF. But who actually designed/invented it. Somebody out there has gotta know.

Re: WHERE DID THE 82/70 COME FROM?

well one day i came up with this design and sent it to AMF. 30 years later, still waiting for a thankyou.... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

p.s. sorry for the pin pile ups... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by McCann:
        well one day i came up with this design and sent it to AMF. 30 years later, still waiting for a thankyou.... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Well, TableJam, I guess it's up to me...

In 1963/64, Roy Blewitt Jr. came up with the idea of the 8270. That's not what it was called, tho'. The name escapes me right now, but the machine we all know and love, actually wasn't "perfected" (still hasn't) until 1969. The distributor was NOTHING like it is today, the pins actually came off the SIDE, and the bin pockets ROTATED to drop the pins in the cups.

The table was different, as well. The cups were solid, and altho' the table casting was shaped similarly, it was full of wireways and switches.

The only thing that hasn't changed (except a shock absorber in place of the 3223 link) is the sweep. One of Mr. Blewitt's greatest 8270 inventions. As I understand it, from the patent page, he wanted to improve the sweep design, so it would not bind, it would glide smoothly, and not send deadwood out into the lane, if it got hung up under the bar itself.

If ya want, I'll e-mail ya the patent pictures and text of the original machine. The files are quite large, and I'm on dial-up, so I may have to shrink 'em a bit...

Lemme know!

And for those who DON'T like the 8270 (There are a few out there somewhere), you might say that:

Roy Blew Itt !!!

Doug

Comment

And for those who DON'T like the 8270 (There are a few out there somewhere)
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not one of em, 70's forever! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
            All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Doug, you are off in a couple of points- the pin cups were not solid; they were made from bent wire. Also, AMF was installing them in 1962. My place opened in '62 with 8270A's. The absolute WORST desighned machines EVER. The upgrade was better, but I still like the 82-30s [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] !!!!!!
              TOON
              Gene Simmons for president!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TABLEJAM:
                O.k., the 82/70 was/is manufactured by AMF. But who actually designed/invented it. Somebody out there has gotta know.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where did the AMF 82-70 come from?

The mothership.

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

*ducking the broken pins being chucked at me*
                -Kris W

Comment

Toon,

1962??? Wow, WAS off a bit, wasn't I?

I'd better check that page again...

Yep, May 19, 1962! Thanks Tony! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

I HAVE seen the solid plastic (?) cups, and thought those were the first ones...

I agree with the statement about the 8230's...

Case in point:

Six brand new 8270-types, and eighteen 8230's in one house.

Day shift 8 - 5 on Sat.

Calls?

8270 machines: 24

8230 machines: 0 (ZERO)

4 seasoned pro's have worked night and day trying to find what's wrong (I have my opinions, but will keep them to myself).

The 8230's click, click, click away...running without a stop. Buck-toothed grins, peeking out from under the mask...kinda poetic ain't it?

I'd better change my profile, or to the people we buy these from, I will be known as a "plick".

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 8270...I just don't like the way THESE run. The first two we got run fine...maybe one call on each of those, that day. The other four? Use 'em for show. They sure don't run for long!

D

Comment

Candlepin Techie:

Hey Kris, lookout...there's that Mothership!!!

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH

D

Comment

I have some pics of the '70-A if you're interested... Let me know.
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by TABLEJAM:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think they were born on Long island in NY harbor. My 70's are all stamped Sept/1965. The AMF was ship foundry in New york Harbor.That's what I heard.
                        Help me!!! My 70's have me by the nuts.

Comment

I still use this drawing!!!!
                          Look at the date!
                          Martin
                          [img]http://pic2.****************/VOL26/934456/1718790/28483139.jpg[/img]
                          So it goes.

Comment

STUCKINTHEPIT I would love to check out those files you have, here's my e-mail link and I have one question: if this machine did not come out 'till the mid 60's how is it that on the control boxes of some of our 70's-(the ones with a RESPOT SOLENOID on the front), is the amf logo from '59? Or did I miss something. tmcdllr@aol.com

Comment

OK T.J.!

An Adobe PDF file is on its way to ya! I had to distill it with Adobe, as the files were so big. I made one document with everything, so (hopefully you have Adobe Reader) you've got what I have...

Mr. Blewitt spells it out pretty well, I'd say...

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X