Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

only 7 pin double shuttles

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • only 7 pin double shuttles

    i have tried lowering shuttle, changing pin holders, shock mounts, bin strap, lenghten shuttle rod to move shuttle back any other ideas

  • #2
    Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

    Use large kicker bumpers in the bin assy instead of small bin bumpers...this elevates the head of the pin so it sits farther forward.

    Redrill holes on pinholder to move it back farther.....just make it so you do not use the hole toward the foul line.......use another pinholder for a template....this way it does not effect the other pins from shuttling correctly.

    JK

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

      The old "put something on the back channel to keep the pin forward" trick still works for me. I've got a guy that machines a plate for me to eliminate having cardboard duct taped to it. Of course this is done only after trying to get it adjusted.
      Charley
      82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
      2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

        I never got to talk to the previous mechanic where I work. I noticed that where the shuttle mounts, they took bearings and put them over the posts that the shuttle mounts on and put cotter pins through the holes on lane 10 to keep it from coming up. I thought this was not only strange but dangerous. Upon further inspection, the reason they did this is becauce the left side of the shuttle wants to come up. You can stand on it and it just pops right back up. I used to have double shuttle on the 8 & 5 pins, but I have got that stopped and now the only problem is the 6 pin doesn't shuttle sometimes. I stopped that from happening by adding a plate to the..... (the technical name has slipped my mind) plate that the pin hits as it enters the bin, making it thicker and keeping the pin back farther. Is this shuttle bent? Should I just leave it since it works fine as it is? Also what's the best way to change the bushing/bearing whichever it is, the brass one where the grease fitting is in the front of the shuttle where it pivots? The last time I greased them a few were pushed out by the grease. Hasn't affected them yet, but I'm sure it will lead to future problems.
        Charley
        82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
        2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

          If you have checked all the shuttle adjustments, you may need to drop the bin assy. down. When the table is up, how much distance is there between the shuttle and the table? What do the other mach,'s look like?
          "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
          Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

            i think i found the problem we will see butt guide was not at the right angle when i put new shock mounts on was going toward front of machine

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

              I've put extra washers on the shuttle rod assy to give extra tension on the spring, which drives the shuttle back better. Also bend the pin guide rails upwards, it slightly forces the pin on top, to be fed further forward after shuttling, and then it'll seat properly again once fed. Ensure your shuttle's in line with the bin aswell, and its as low as possible.
              Rack Rippers come as standard!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                Originally posted by FARLEY AMF 70/90XL:
                I never got to talk to the previous mechanic where I work. I noticed that where the shuttle mounts, they took bearings and put them over the posts that the shuttle mounts on and put cotter pins through the holes on lane 10 to keep it from coming up. I thought this was not only strange but dangerous. Upon further inspection, the reason they did this is becauce the left side of the shuttle wants to come up. You can stand on it and it just pops right back up. I used to have double shuttle on the 8 & 5 pins, but I have got that stopped and now the only problem is the 6 pin doesn't shuttle sometimes. I stopped that from happening by adding a plate to the..... (the technical name has slipped my mind) plate that the pin hits as it enters the bin, making it thicker and keeping the pin back farther. Is this shuttle bent? Should I just leave it since it works fine as it is? Also what's the best way to change the bushing/bearing whichever it is, the brass one where the grease fitting is in the front of the shuttle where it pivots? The last time I greased them a few were pushed out by the grease. Hasn't affected them yet, but I'm sure it will lead to future problems.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This will cause cracked X frames......with a pin in the table you need the bin/shuttle to raise up unrestricted.

                JK

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                  AMF DOCTOR
                  The doctor makes house calls.
                  http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                    Have you ever looked at the back of the shuttle in relation to the back of the bin? In just about every machine that I've seen, the 10 pin side of the shuttle is further back then the 7 pin side. This means that the 7 pin side moves further forward than the 10 pin side. We make adjustments to the shuttle rod, but this can cause other problem as we well know. The solution, even though it may sound strange, really works.
                    1. Disconnect the shuttle spring at the 5 bin.
                    2. Disconnect the shuttle drive arm from the shuttle on the 10 pin side.
                    3. Remove the drive arm from the shaft and remove the key from the shaft.
                    4. Replace the arm, but do not tighten.
                    5. Take two pieces of metal, long enough to go from the top of the bin to below the shuttle bar. Bend both pieces of metal so they can be clamped to the top of the bin with vise grips and clamp them to the back of the bin, one between the 9 &amp; 10 and the other between the 7 &amp; 8.
                    6. Use a light spring to pull the shuttle gently against the two pieces of metal.
                    7. You'll notice that the loose arm will now pivot to conform to the straight shuttle. Put a stover nut on the clamp stud instead of the regular one, and thighten.
                    8. Readjust the drive rod if necessary
                    9. That's all there is to it. The shuttle will now travel the same distance on both sides all the time. If you are worried about the arm comming loose because of no key in it DON'T. I've only had one come loose in 8 years, and it did not have a stover nut on it.
                    If you have any question feel free to contact me.

                    AMF DOCTOR

                    The Doctor makes house calls.
                    AMF DOCTOR
                    The doctor makes house calls.
                    http://s427.photobucket.com/home/AMFDOCTOR/index

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                      Originally posted by spinzilla
                      i think i found the problem we will see butt guide was not at the right angle when i put new shock mounts on was going toward front of machine
                      No....I think your B mechanic found the problem, and has fixed it. :-/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                        The bin is a nightmare on a seventy!! I believe it is the be all and end all of most problems on this type of machine. May it be the cause of pile-ups, double shuttling etc... It is a bad design.

                        A bad or worn shock, a butt guide at the wrong angle can all cause pins to go through the shuttle and land unwantingly in the table.

                        At the seven pin, I have found that the most important thing to watch for is that when the bin is double loaded at that position, that the second pin is placed directly on top of the first pin.!
                        If the second pin lies with its head across the 8 pin bin position, then I have found that it will easily double through the shuttle!

                        Adjustment of the safety link is crucial here. If no more adjustment is left, then add in the sneaky washer to increase the horizontal movement of the distributor, in order to gain the extra clearance, so the pin will land perfectly flat on top of the pin in the bin already! If it fish-tails across there is a good chance that it will double shuttle every so often!

                        You may adjust the shuttle, but find if you go too far back then the some pins will refuse to shuttle. If this is the case then you know you have a problem with the bin/dizzy relationship.

                        I personally feel that a lot of the double shuttling problem lies with the bin and not the shuttle itself!
                        Check to make sure that the compression spring when NOT under pressure is the correct length. (Unfortunately cannot give specifics at present for this measurement) Hopefully Maister, or John will chime in here with the correct spring length when uncomperssed.

                        I am personally not in favour of re-drilling the holes out on the
                        pin holders on the bin. I feel that the machine frame height may not be set right, so the distance between the table and the bin is too great therefor causing double shuttle problems. After re-surface especially, it is crucial that the machine front sit at the sweet height of 19 1/4 inches, if old school, or 19 inches plain is just fine. If 82-90 then 18 and 7/8ths is correct.

                        Also to aid the stopping of double shuttling problem I highly recommend to the upmost degree that when setting the table up you measure from the rear of the 7 /10 spot to the rear edge of the table, 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 inches. Thus the table is slightly further back, which in-turn makes the cups sit flatter in relation to the bin, helping STOP double shuttling. This is still achieved with the half bubble adjustment, and is one of the best adjustments one can make in order to improve the machines performance, not only in spotting ability, but also aid troublesome double shuttling.
                        Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                          Good to see you figured it out on your own Spinzilla.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                            Quote:]Also to aid the stopping of double shuttling problem I highly recommend to the upmost degree that when setting the table up you measure from the rear of the 7 /10 spot to the rear edge of the table, 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 inches. Thus the table is slightly further back, which in-turn makes the cups sit flatter in relation to the bin, helping STOP double shuttling. This is still achieved with the half bubble adjustment, and is one of the best adjustments one can make in order to improve the machines performance, not only in spotting ability, but also aid troublesome double shuttling.[/QUOTE]

                            The real mechanic has spoken!
                            So it goes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: only 7 pin double shuttles

                              The shuttle compression spring should be 6 inches when the assembly is dismantled. Any less then this can cause problems.
                              On re-building the assembly if any grease is used then this will also hinder the assembly, so try not use any in this instance.
                              Adding washers is not really a good idea.
                              The spring in the back of the shuttle should also be checked and should be 5 3/4 inches.
                              Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

                              Comment

                              Topic Starter RibbonScript

                              Collapse

                              Adsense Classic 2

                              Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                               

                              Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

                              I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...
                               

                              Strange sweep problem

                              I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...
                               

                              GSX Distributor shaft bearings

                              Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

                              2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...
                               

                              The Legacy of the A2

                              I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...
                               

                              Table turning on short stroke.

                              Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                               

                              Another pivot bearing broke.

                              One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X