Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep rocker arm hitting the table gearbox

Here is my summer catcher as I call it. When going through the table and sweep summer adjustments. Boy did I find something strange on one of the lanes. Here goes:

I have a lane that when the 3116 rod and the 3162 rod are set to the proper adjustment the rocker arm (070-003-132) is hitting the table gear box hard enough to make the table jump.

In order solve this and have the sweep rocker arm not hit that table gear box and the sweep knocking the back row of pins off ….. I have to have the 3162 rod almost an inch to long and the two 3116 rods are short adn somehow not even length. Another strange thing is that when I have this adjusted so it will work the ten pin side sweep shock is over extended making that side of the sweep raise way off the pin deck. The links are also hitting the machine frame pretty hard. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

The last thing is that the table drive shaft has been replaced several times and the sweep rocker arms have also been welded. Now i guess I know the cause of the table shaft breaking. The shaft is sitting straight for the table drive and the welds appear to be straight on the rocker arm.

Any ideas about this???

Re: Sweep rocker arm hitting the table gearbox

How about replacing the whole machine [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] :p

Comment

Check the pillow blocks and straps for tightness and wear.

I have also had a sweep rocker break.

JK

Comment

You mentioned the sweep rocker arm has been welded. Once they break they can never be the same again-no matter how good a welder someone is-it's never the same again. Best bet, if you have one, is to replace the rocker arm and go through the adjustments again. I'll bet your problem is caused by the rocker arm being welded together thus not being the "same" rocker arm it was before and no matter how you try to adjust it, you'll never get it just right, maybe close. It almost sounds like someone did a pretty bad job of welding it back together. We've had more than a few break and tried welding them together and were able to get a few to work, barely, now we just replace it altogether. Problem solved.

Comment

Pardon me guys, just a silly question:

Are you talking about the "Sweep Torque Tube"? I'm wondering how that is able to hit a motor, since that's in FRONT of the machine.

Are you talking about the torque tube's drive arms hitting the "Front Frame Weldment", as I'm so fond of calling it? One thing I've come to realize, is the Table Torque Tube and Sweep Torque Tubes are the most critical of the two drive assy's. Once they're out of whack, that's it. Machine won't work right.

New ones. :p

No choice. Expensive, but necessary.

My question is: why do these things break in the first place? If there's a hang-up somewhere, I'd think that the motor klixon'd pop before any damage was done...these things are TOUGH! Even the cheap Chinese machine's have pretty good strength, I can't imagine AMF's OE being any less!

JMHO, thanks guys!

"D"

Comment

Originally posted by StucKInThePit:
            My question is: why do these things break in the first place? ...
            "D"
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's called fatigue. Machine parts get tired and stressed just like people do. :p

Roger

Comment

They do break, granted not often but they do. Unfortunately the center I work at REFUSES to buy new ones, they have the broken ones welded. We've been lucky so far, there's about 3 I can think of off hand that were welded and run fine, I know that luck is gonna run out sometime tho
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by Ar Rar:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by StucKInThePit:
                My question is: why do these things break in the first place? ...
                "D"
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's called fatigue. Machine parts get tired and stressed just like people do. :p

Roger
                </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Luckily enough, though, they don't pi$$ and moan as much as some people do... they just break, and leave the pi$$ing and moaning to the mechanic that has to fix 'em... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I can tell oyu now that these are not going to be replaced for a long time. Soooooo I am left with the question of which is worse the rocker hotting the table motor or the sweep link arms hitting the frame? Right now I am thinking that it is better to have the link arms hitting the frame what are your thoughts?

WHat a tough question to be faced with right now.

Comment

To Gman's statement, "...Luckily enough, though, they don't pi$$ and moan as much as some people do... they just break, and leave the pi$$ing and moaning to the mechanic that has to fix 'em..."

I would like to add:

"...or to the bowler who pays for his game by the hour...and his TIME IS RUNNING, dammit!"

Good one, "G"! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

The DMan

Comment

I haven't been to ID in a while, Ill fix it for a small buck and bring the replacement parts with me...

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                      1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                      First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                      our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                      Working...
                      X