Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there ever any warning...table drive shaft

I keep my shuttle cam adjusted so there isn't much stress put on the cam as it rotates,but,
    I've broken 3 drive shafts in 12 years( 3 different machines).
    Seems there's no warning..just .CRASH !!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

When people look at the broken shaft they always say" That's been busted for a long time". I say "no..it just puked last night".

your experiences??
    I never had a "10" ;..but ,one night after closing,..I did five " 2's" !

Re: Is there ever any warning...table drive shaft

I'm fortunate to only have had 2 surprise me. Most of the time I catch them when they crack. Part of my PM program is to go through the front ends with a mag-lite and check table shafts. They seem to always crack right at the shuttle cam. Keep this area CLEAN and the cracks are easier to spot. My current place I've been at for 6 years now and have had the 2 surprises, but I've caught 2 before disaster happened. Other houses I've changewd them while cracked.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Our 70's are about 30 years old and we've lost about six table shafts. I was never lucky enough to spot a cracked one during any P/M work on the front ends.
      Remember, half a broken table shaft makes a great center punch!
      "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
      Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

I don't even like talking about broken table shafts... Right after I posted a message about not having one break in the 13+ years I've been at the bowl, I got a call that one of the machines was acting up, the house was packed for a tournament, and they needed the machine running ASAP. I went down to the lanes, hopped up on the machine, and there it was... table shaft cleanly snapped in half. Talk about your bad karma... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:
          ... Right after I posted a message about not having one break in the 13+ years I've been at the bowl, ...
          ...there it was... table shaft cleanly snapped in half. Talk about your bad karma... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Look at the bright side... You didn't lose a table shaft, you gained a center punch. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
          In my case it would have been a prick punch. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Roger

Comment

I've been at the same center since I started about 5 1/2 years ago, 64 laner. Believe it or not (and I know I'm tempting fate here saying this) I've never seen one or had one break. I've heard nightmare stories from the other mechanics there from when they do go. Honestly I dont know much about them, I've only been there when one was pulled once (bad big bearing which made the table bounce badly) and I only caught the tail end of it being reinstalled
            All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I have done 4 or 5 shaft replacements in my life......

Only one time did I see the cracks and the shaft make the table run out of time....otherwise....KABOOM.

JK

Comment

Two things. One, Table shafts take a long time to snap once they're cracked. You can tell by looking at the two halves. The shiney half of the crack on the shaft is where it finally snapped and the dull dirty half is where it has been cracked for some time. And Two, there is a warning sign although hard to catch and even then your almost too late.
                Like Kat said, the shaft almost always cracks at the shuttle cam. Since the shuttles actuating arms' cam follower is riding on the cam and the arms stop bolt is mounted on the acctuating arm, and when the shaft is cracked far enough to allow itself to bend enough to put pressure on the stop bolt and the shuttles stop arm, the spot solenoid actuating assemby can't lift the stop arm to allow pins to fall into the cups, because of the pressure, you'll spot an empty table. When the bowler sees an empty pindeck he'll push the reset button and will usually get 10 pins, for awhile anyway, so you don't know there's a problem until, PUKE!
                So if your shuttles actuating arms' stop bolt is touching it's stop arm all of a sudden, and the jam nut is still tight, I'd say that's a "warning sign" of a cracked table shaft.
                That's all I have to say about that, if it made any sense.
                There! Try to NOT work now!

Comment

O K Nobody asked the question yet, so -- Let's say that you have to replace a spot/respot cam because it's badly worn. Do you install a new table shaft, or do you reuse the twenty-five year old shaft that could break next week? ( even if it looks good )
                  &quot;Gun control is the policy of tyrants&quot;
                  Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy:
                    O K Nobody asked the question yet, so -- Let's say that you have to replace a spot/respot cam because it's badly worn. Do you install a new table shaft, or do you reuse the twenty-five year old shaft that could break next week? ( even if it looks good )
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it were me, I would change the shaft as well. I understand that many of the mom and pop centers don't have that luxury, so it is really a matter of budget. I feel since you're taking the damn thing apart anyway, replace it. You cannot see metal fatigue and it would pi$$ me off to no end to have to redo the whole thing again in a week or two. I'm pretty well stocked for pinsetter parts so I usually make a judgement call. In this case, like I said, it would be changed; unless I see in the logs that it has been changed within the last 5 years. They're not that expensive for MY piece of mind.

Good question though, I hadn't really thought about it before nor have I ever had to make that call.
                    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Originally posted by amfpinboy:
                      -- Let's say that you have to replace a spot/respot cam because it's badly worn. Do you install a new table shaft, or do you reuse the twenty-five year old shaft that could break next week? ( even if it looks good )
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm with Kat on this: if you can afford it, do it. Yes, the shaft costs money, but so does down time. I like the other side too: If you are replacing a broken shaft and the cam is badly worn, opportunity is knocking. Answer it.

Roger

Comment

We have a bad cam on one of the lanes that has to be changed. We're a big center and have TONS of shafts just collecting dust, you betcha when the cam gets changed the shaft will also [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                        All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I once had a guy bring in an electric static tester to look for shaft cracks,I think thats what it was,he hooked a lead to the machine and ran a rod of some type along the shaft and an electric charge wrapped around the shaft as he moved it as he pointed out the weak spots and most lickly places for the shaft to break.The sparks-lightening would followthe weak spots around the shaft. I don't remember if his advice work as he was demonstrating how they used this thing where he worked.
                          Also half a shaft will really supply you with some true axis weight in a ball. No deflection.Solid 9s.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                          Working...
                          X