Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunno ???

Re: Dunno ???

First AMF center I worked at the head mech showed the shuttle trick. So I have always used the shuttle method. It's just a spring your holding back momentarily.
    "I've got 3 boards to play... and they all have arrows on them."

Comment

Being a Brunswick mechanic I've gotten used to respotting pins thru the machine; as such on my 70s I do the shuttle method. I just feel that it looks "cleaner" than having pins knocked down by a stick. Add to's, however, are always done by setting machine back to 1st ball, dropping rake, adding with fork, then table back on.

Just a matter of preference I guess.

For those who worry about the safety of holding the shuttle back, there's always the option of allowing the shuttle to completely empty (by an additional cycle) and toss in what you need or take out what you don't, then just hit the BS.
      "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Mark --
        There are a couple of different issues here:

1) As far as how I do the job, I always use a pin fork. Most of the time, I start on 1st ball, cycle it, shut it off, reset and then turn it back on. If I'm adding a single pin, however, I just stick it in there without shutting the machine off. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] Yes its wrong, but it works for me.

2) If you think someone else (like me) is doing the job in an unsafe manner, then you probably should point that out to them along with an explanation of the risks as you see them.

3) If they choose to ignore you, and someone else is responsible for their performance, then you should take up the issue with their supervisor.

4) Only if you are in charge do you have the right to insist that they get with the program.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Anderson:

1/ Rack a full deck , Cycle , Stop at 1st guard , sweep out pins not required with pin fork & continue 1st ball cycle ?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've always done it this way. It's the easiest. I guess in my opinion, it doesn't matter if the bowlers see a stick knocking the pins down as long as they get their pin(s) standing.

Louie
          Experience: Currently Help Maintain 44 82-30s and 50 82-70s.

Comment

I wont respot pins by knocking them over with the hook, like Kat said I just think it looks sloppy myself (I admite being a bit anal here). I usually put it on 2nd ball and cycle it twice, throw whatever pins I need in the bin as they come up and just hit the bin switch. If I don't do it that way I'll do the old shuttle trick, when I do it the shuttle way I hold it with my hand, but what I do is grab the shuttle from the underside so if something does happen and I lose my grip my hand isn't in the way and it'll just shuttle all the pins, grabbing it on top and using your hand is just asking to lose your fingers. Just my $0.02 [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
            All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I do it the first way except that I run the sweep down to 1st guard, shut off the machine, reverse the sweep and then cycle it. This avoids interlocks when you don't turn the machine off at the right time (by just hitting cycle).

I do it this way b/c
              1. It seems to be a little safer.
              2. If there are problems with the rsc's, I might be able to catch it when the table goes down to pick the pins up (I can fix the problem there instead of getting respots all night long).

Comment

We use a pinhook to set up pins, and our method varies, depending on what pins need spotting:

For either method, FIRST: LOOK UP FRONT &amp; MAKE SURE THAT THE IDIOT WITH THE BALL IN HIS HAND ISN'T ABOUT TO THROW IT DOWN THE LANE.

1-2 pins, or the back row:
                -Sweep run to clear dead wood
                -Place machine on 1st ball, turn off 'T' switch, cycle
                -When the sweep stops, spot the pin(s) needed
                -Turn on 'T' switch
                -Allow machine to finish the cycle normally

3+ pins (and the hard-to-reach 1-3-2 spots):
                -Spot a rack
                -Turn off the 'T' switch
                -Cycle the machine
                -When the sweep stops at guard, turn off 'S' switch
                -Remove or knock over whatever pins aren't needed
                -Turn on 'S' switch
                -Turn on 'T' switch
                -Allow machine to finish the cycle and respot normally.

Done in that order, you will never get an interlock.

I'm pretty severe about safety with the pinchasers, and that's the methods they get taught. If I'm spotting a setup, I may use the 'empty bin' or 'shuttle hold' methods, and sometimes on a 7 or 10 pin, I'll just reach in with my hand and spot the pin... but that's my prerogative. I've been around the machines long enough to know when a ball is thrown on the lane, and to get my hand or pinhook out of the way, and where NOT to put my hands... some of the pinnies we get I don't trust to be that bright, and I don't feel like explaining to a comp auditor or OSHA why one of the pinnies is missing skin or fingers, so they are only shown the 'safe' ways to spot pins.
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Pin fork method with sweep down......it is safer.

JK

Comment

8230:
                    Pinfork method (machine off, sweep down)

8270:
                    Shuttle hold-back ALWAYS...you guys taught me that! :p I know of no other way with the Chinese 8270 Clones, as you couldn't get a pinfork in ANYWHERE in this new machine! Guards all over it!

Nope...shuttle hold-back...best thing I've ever learned about respotting (I keep a piece of wood above the lanes, near the '70-clones for that purpose...works GREAT!)!

"D"

Comment

if its just a 7 pin or sometin, push cycle, pins go flyin, and pinfork is out before table runs.

respot the : 1,8,10,6,&amp;3 etc. hold the shuttle

Comment

SAFETY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A QUICK TROUBLE CALL!

The way we have been told to do a pin stand is the same way as a off-spot.(This has come around after quite a few visits from WORK COVER)

1)Run sweep to guard
                        2)Turn off four control box switches
                        3)Turn off main power and unplug machine
                        4)Remove pin curtain and restand required pin(s)
                        5)Replace pin curtain
                        6)Plug machine back in and turn back on
                        7)Turn on four control box switches
                        8)Revrse sweep

F THAT!

We simply

1)Turn off pit switch
                        2)Standing on the tread plate remove unwanted pins from the bin assy
                        3)Make sure the machine is on second ball
                        4)Cycle machine to spot (Hit bin switch if needed)
                        5)Put machine back onto second ball
                        6)Turn pit back on

I NEVER RUSH FOR A BOWLER AS A BOWLER WILL NEVER RUSH FOR ME!

Comment

Forgot to add what GMan said, if I get a back row pin setup call with all 20 up top in the bins, I'll look up the lane, reach in and just spot it by hand
                          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:
                            We use a pinhook to set up pins, and our method varies, depending on what pins need spotting:

1-2 pins, or the back row:
                            -Sweep run to clear dead wood
                            -Place machine on 1st ball, turn off 'T' switch, cycle
                            -When the sweep stops, spot the pin(s) needed
                            -Turn on 'T' switch
                            -Allow machine to finish the cycle normally

3+ pins (and the hard-to-reach 1-3-2 spots):
                            -Spot a rack
                            -Turn off the 'T' switch
                            -Cycle the machine
                            -When the sweep stops at guard, turn off 'S' switch
                            -Remove or knock over whatever pins aren't needed
                            -Turn on 'S' switch
                            -Turn on 'T' switch
                            -Allow machine to finish the cycle and respot normally.

Done in that order, you will never get an interlock.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I forgot to mention that I work on 90's &amp; 8800's (not 70's) where you can't turn off the table or sweep circuit from the chassis (or rear control panel). That's why I use the sweep &amp; sweep reverse switch.

Comment

Wow! Not to sound like an idiot here but I never knew they did away with the switches. I really don't know much about anything aside from 70's. Another new thing learned here on BT [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X