Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Mechanic want's to learn

Hi all, I am an up and comeing Mechanic on an AMF 82-70. I am very interested in these machines and want to know and learn everything I can about them. The problem is that it's hard to find information on these machines as far as common problems and troubleshooting, and honestly I just don't have the cash for the classes. So I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could help me out and maybe if you've got information and tips or just basicly things you've learned yourself over time on these machines... It would be very much appriciated. My e-mail is pitcherchuck@hotmail.com or pitcherchuck@bowlingtech.com. Once again Thanks for any help you can throw my way

Re: Green Mechanic want's to learn

It's kinda tough to just throw things out about 70's at least IMHO. There's a LOT of things that can go wrong in all different areas of them, for the most part they run great but when something does go, sometimes it's quite tough to narrow down. My best advice is the stick around here on BT. Read thru the threads on the 70's and also the archives, there's an ENORMOUS amount of knowledge on here. Stay around and read as much as ya can, and as always if you do have a problem post it here and we'll more than gladly help you. Or if ya want a more one on one thing feel free to email me and I'll be glad to help however I can, and I'm sure others feel the same. It takes some time but the machines get easier and easier as time goes by and you gain experince [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

One thing that helped me learn a lot is established mechanics. I really learned a lot from the "old" guys. Get in with them and have someone show you how to tun the wrenches. Just stick with it and try to learn a few things a day.

Best of luck.

Pat

Comment

Welcome to Bowltech!

You came to the right place.

Like it was said, it's hard to just 'toss knowledge' at you, without actually showing you what's going on with a machine as it's sitting in front of you. Without knowing how skilled you currently are in the machinery, I'll say this:

Hang around with the center mechanic & experienced pinchasers, ask questions if you want to know something. Learn the basic Do's and Don'ts, the basic machine assemblies, and some of the names of the parts & such. Once you have that, you will be able to build off of it to learn more.

While the machines are running, sit down on the catwalk and watch what it's doing... a big part of being able to diagnose problems is knowing what the machine SHOULD be doing... then you can start with what it's not doing, and pinpoint the problem.

And stick around here... read & join in on some discussions. If you're not sure what is being discussed, don't be afraid to ask. The only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask.

Glad to have you aboard! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Excellent point G, I should've brought it up in my earlier post. Don't be afraid to sit in the back and watch the machines (i've done it hours on end over the years and still do) the power of observation is priceless, it's fixed many problems for me, just knowing what I was looking for and what the machine was doing. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

pitcherchuck,
            Too bad you are not in the Dallas/Fort Worth area! You could join me on many of my service runs. I operate a "Dial-a-Tech" service and travel to many centers in and around Texas to repair all types of AMF and Brunswick pinsetting equipment. Generally these are in houses of 24 lanes or less. It's a challenging job to learn even "1" type of machine. As the G-Man and others have recommended, watch the machines. I'm 50 years old, and have been working on them since I was 12. I have never formally gone to any of the mechanic's schools, however, as many will tell you, just working on them daily is schooling in itself. Also, don't be intimidated by the complexity of the service manuals. There is no mechanic here who doesn't read it from time to time. Pick it up and study it while you are sitting or laying on that catwalk watching the machine. Carry it with you as a reference guide as you observe the other mechanics.
            Best of luck, my friend. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
            I will also be happy to help if you have any questions!
            [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/usflag.jpg[/img] Lonnie
            "Efficiency is, doing better what is already being done!"
            Pinsetter Technical Services 214-505-7663

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pitcherchuck:
              [QB]Hi all, I am an up and comeing Mechanic on an AMF 82-70. I am very interested in these machines and want to know and learn everything I can about them.

Welcome, pull up a chair and join the crowd. those 82-70's are fun to watch and you'll only learn how they tick by straddling a pair of them and watch how these smoothe running mechanical marvels operate. In just a few short hours, you understand why we 70 mechs love our work.
              You have chosen a great profession. You trully are a wise person.
              Help me!!! My 70's have me by the nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by pitcherchuck:
                Hi all, I am an up and comeing Mechanic on an AMF 82-70. I am very interested in these machines and want to know and learn everything I can about them. The problem is that it's hard to find information on these machines as far as common problems and troubleshooting, and honestly I just don't have the cash for the classes. So I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could help me out and maybe if you've got information and tips or just basicly things you've learned yourself over time on these machines... It would be very much appriciated. My e-mail is pitcherchuck@hotmail.com or pitcherchuck@bowlingtech.com. Once again Thanks for any help you can throw my way
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This board is a good source. So don't be afraid to ask anything.

Also.... use the suggestions everyone else has given to you here so far. They're all excellent.
                -- Larry

Comment

Welcome, pull up a chair and join the crowd. those 82-70's are fun to watch and you'll only learn how they tick by straddling a pair of them and watch how these smoothe running mechanical marvels operate. In just a few short hours, you understand why we 70 mechs love our work.
                  You have chosen a great profession. You trully are a wise person.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very well said Joey, my feelings exactly [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                  Working...
                  X