Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Control Box Switch

I have recently taken up a job as (the) mechanic in a small 8 lane (4 x AMF 82-70, 4 x Brunswick A2) centre at a military base in Scotland. I have some 82-70 experience from a few years ago, am learning quickly and I am certainly grateful for this web site. I have a few minor problems which I hope can be helped by people on this site as my books are old and have pages missing.

For now, I am completely puzzled by a switch on the bottom left of the 82-70 Control Box that I have never seen before. All the usual switches are where they should be (Power, 1st Ball Stepper, Pit, Sweep, Table etc) but there is an additional 2 position (On/Off) 'rotary' switch with a fluorescent red backing living in the bottom left hand corner of the box. Any ideas? I have a photo in .jpg format, but dont know how to upload it onto this site.

Mickbull@aol.com

Re: Unknown Control Box Switch

To show the pic, up it to a server somewhere if ya got some webspace and just click the image button at the bottom, insert the webaddress to the pic and click okay. Sounds like some kind of mod done, only extra switches on the control boxes where I am is for the foul lights and thats only half the house that has em like that. If ya can show the pic I'm sure someone can pinpoint it for ya. If ya don't have webspace shoot me a PM or email with the pic and I'll up it for ya [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rep:
      [QB]To show the pic, up it to a server somewhere if ya got some webspace and just click the image button at the bottom, insert the webaddress to the pic and click okay. Sounds like some kind of mod done.....
      Most likely the odd switch is to help the 70's put up the the 4- A2s they have to share the house with. LOL
      Seriously, I added a switch in the lower left of control box to give me a continous cycle. I guess you should flip it and see what happens. Maybe the A2s become Xls. Good luck.
      Help me!!! My 70's have me by the nuts.

Comment

Ok guys, here's the pic:

I dunno what to think really lol Our power switch is where that is (basically only so you can turn the machine on in the back without it being on up front) could be a cont. cycle switch or maybe even a switch to clear interlocks with. I know those are some common mods done to the control box. I await the true experts opinions [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
        All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Our power switch is where that is (basically only so you can turn the machine on in the back without it being on up front)
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm thinking you are right, looks like someone just found a fancy switch to have manager control to me. Just flip it on &amp; see what happens. Hopefully it's not a self destruct switch!! LOL [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
          Charley
          82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
          2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Comment

Thanks for posting the picture Rep. All the switch appears to do is switch power on and off, just like the proper switch above it does!

The reason I am trying to find out what it is for is because my predecessor told one of the other staff that it should always be switched off at the end of the evening. Can't see why when we have a perfectly good off switch above it as well as the PC at the Control Desk. I mentioned before that this is a rotary switch, it doesn't just 'toggle' between the ON and OFF positions, it also rotates through 360 degrees which is a problem in that when the switch is pointing at ON, it may not necessarily be true!! It sometimes takes 5 to 10 minutes of jigging about to get the switch properly on. This happens on all 4 machines and I am not happy that these switches are properly serviceable so have told everybody to leave them on and use the more traditional OFF switches to shut down the lanes at the end of the night.

I would love to know what they do though. If nobody has any firm idea, I will trace the wiring back from the switches, when I have time, to see where they go and that should give us a clue.

Thanks again for your time guys,

Jeff

Comment

Stick a volt meter on there and see what the voltage is. Or, just trace the wires and see where they go.
              "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Not a problem Jeff, anytime [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Definately weird to say the least. Almost like it's just a 2nd CB, obviously it's not just a normal power switch like is on ours since those are always left off unless you need the machine on without the desk having it on. If no one knows maybe you'll have to see where the wires from it are going

Comment

We have switches in our control boxes located where that one is... we put them there. All they do is parallel the manager's control 'bowl' switch, so we can turn the machines on from the back.

That may be all that one is... just someone used a fancier switch than our toggle switches. What happens when you turn it on?
                  <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Jeff, most guys just put a simple toggle switch there; someone went the extra mile.

The two wires should go to the A&amp;MC plug and to the A&amp;MC box. Just serves as a maintenance switch so the Tech. can service the machine without having to go up front to turn the pinspotter on.
                    Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Yup, that's how ours are. Just plain little toggle switches tho, nutn fancy [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                      Working...
                      X