Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweep motor tripping

I have a machine that the sweep motor trips about 2 to 3 times a day. Replaced with a known working motor still does it. Any ideas??

Re: sweep motor tripping

If it's just the stator that's been replaced, more than likely it's in the centrifugal mechanism. The frisbee/springy thing on the rotor shaft of the gearbox. (assuming Westinghouse/A.O. Smith here).

Please post type of motors in use there.
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

I have replace the whole motor and gearbox with a working one.

Comment

Hows 'bout bad bearing on the sweep driveshaft, bad rod end, bad pillow block or torque tube end, worn bushings &/or pin in the sweep arms, or sweep dragging on the flat gutter?

C

Comment

...or maybe cruddy S points, a weak capacitor, or a poor connection in the plug? Tried running it off the table plug? Is there a big arc in the motor &/or the contact when it starts? Tried a different chassis on this machine?
          These are areas I'd look at.

Comment

i would also check for burned/bad pins, connectors in the c-1 plug on the chassis side and the machine side- this can also cause an intermittent problem like that

Comment

i would also check for burned/bad pins, connectors in the c-1 plug on the chassis side and the machine side- this can also cause an intermittent problem like that

Comment

ok i don't know how that got up there twice

Comment

Capacitors (as already mentioned) would be my first thought. Check them out
                  All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

How is the best way to check the capacitors?

Comment

To test a capacitor, remove the connection from one terminal and take a resistance reading with a volt-ohm meter. Connect the meter and wait approximately one minute for the capacitor to charge up. A reading of 50,000 ohms or more indicates a good capacitor. A reading of zero ohms indicates a shorted capacitor. No reading indicates an open capacitor.
                      A shorted capacitor in a sweep or table motor will prevent the electrical brake from operating causing the motor to coast.
                      An open capacitor in a sweep or table will prevent the motor from starting. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

ARE YOU USING AN EXTERNAL MOTOR START SWITCH OR ARE YOU USING THE INTERNAL SWITCH WITH THE CENT. MECH. ? DOES THE MOTOR OVER HEAT WHEN IT TRIPS

Comment

Well since ya changed the motor, its not a motor problem. Most like likely the upper or lower sweep contacts or a capacitor going bad-CSM 1 or 2 or both. Could also be a mechanical bind somewhere also. We have a tool that I made up out of an old Proshop handheld finger and thumbhole sander, that I made a motor crank fitting to put on it to check for mechanical binds without having to hand crank through from 0 to 0 degrees. Can only be used with machine unplugged though. We blew alot of capacitors out last year and started converting to the new siemens enclosed T and S relays. They sure seem to be good relays. No failures yet in 8 months now and no blown caps yet either.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                          Working...
                          X