Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old style parts

Ok, just out of curiocity... How many of you guys keep with the latest parts trends (or try to stay on the "cutting edge" of bowling tech. And how many of you guys lag WAY behind the times (as in have old style parts, like sweep shocks, or other *OLD* style parts). I mean... on these machines it gets REALLY annoying when you want to put something back together (and actually have it work correctly) but it HAD old style parts on it, and you have only newer style parts to put on it (but not a full set). Examples : Distributor ... Shaft (for the LARGE wheel) that still only has 3 holes in it (old style) along with the *old* plastic wheels. Ball return (accelerator assembly)bearings/shafts. Or as for updating... Foul lights (ok, I KNOW there are other centers out there that still use the old radarays). Or how many of us still dont have auto-score, etc.... How many still have kickers... ETC... basically, just trying to see who's who when it comes to tech [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Old style parts

Originally posted by Adam:
    Ok, just out of curiocity... How many of you guys keep with the latest parts trends (or try to stay on the "cutting edge" of bowling tech. And how many of you guys lag WAY behind the times (as in have old style parts, like sweep shocks, or other *OLD* style parts). I mean... on these machines it gets REALLY annoying when you want to put something back together (and actually have it work correctly) but it HAD old style parts on it, and you have only newer style parts to put on it (but not a full set). Examples : Distributor ... Shaft (for the LARGE wheel) that still only has 3 holes in it (old style) along with the *old* plastic wheels. Ball return (accelerator assembly)bearings/shafts. Or as for updating... Foul lights (ok, I KNOW there are other centers out there that still use the old radarays). Or how many of us still dont have auto-score, etc.... How many still have kickers... ETC... basically, just trying to see who's who when it comes to tech [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Many of those old style parts often work better than the new and improved ones. Just ask an 82/30 mechanic. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    -- Larry

Comment

Like the Super Clutch?!? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by pat:
        Like the Super Clutch?!? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let's not go there... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

We do a little of both... some of the "new and improved" parts really do help the operation of the machine or make it easier to work on... others were royal disasters that should have never happened. If something new comes out that looks like it may be something we're interested in, we'll purchase 1 or 2 of them and try them on a machine or pair... if it works out, we'll start using them. If not, well, we ate the cost of some useless parts... but it usually works out.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Cast iron paddles [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

JK

Comment

hehe, we still have some in a box in the back. Not that we use em :p I think I posted a pic not too long ago of one
            All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Yes, ask an 8230 mechanic. Some of the new stuff is a blessing. We have converted to open-pinwheels with magnetic clutches and kidneys. Have upgraded our 6525 chassis with Omega-tek boards nad eliminated the stepper relay. We also Have gone to Solid State contactors in the chassis. They all work great and cut down on hassles!

Other things like solid state start switches can work for some but not for others. Right now we only have 4 spare centrifugal mechanisms left for our GE combo motors and NOBODY in the world has any for sale!

I would like to try to get my head mechanic to buy us an infra-red pin counter to try sometime soon. The omegatek counters are a little crazy sometimes!!

As far as the old stuff goes, these machines ran with most of those types of parts for 44 years...you can't beat 'em!!!

Comment

What G-man said.

I'm lucky enough to still have a good relationship with the Reno Hilton. I suggest new parts for them to try &amp; let them spend their much larger budget on the experiments. They also have far greater lineage than I do. They can test a part in a month or 2 that would take me years to evaluate.

Comment

I put this topic into 3 categories:
                  1. AMF's new design of an original part. These parts usually supercede the original in availability, and sometimes get a new part #.

2. AMF's optional enhanced parts. (Super Clutch).

3. Parts that are regular production on later or current production machines, but can fit or be adapted to fit on earlier models (ie: 82/90 or 90XL parts for 70's)

Examples:

Category 1:
                  - Distributor rear carriage casting, rocker arm, &amp; rocker shaft.
                  - Dist. carriage belt runner, with the 1/4-20 square head set screw for retaing the pin guide wires.
                  - Trip Rod and support casting.
                  - Table support posts.
                  - Table torque tube and clevis (and drive housing).
                  - Respot cell: yoke assembly top plate; finger; finger insert; frame; 5/16" diameter pivot stud.
                  - Curtain Rod and grommet.
                  - Bin stringers.

CATEGORY 2:

- Various repair kits (yoke; rear roller shaft)
                  - Adjustable pulleys.
                  - Universal stamped steel pit support bracket.
                  - One-piece plastic blow-molded bounce plate. (Hope nobody still has any of these).
                  - Did someone mention super clutch??

CATEGORY 3:
                  - Distributor support channel and cross bar.
                  - Various tensioners in the ball exit system.
                  - PBL.
                  - 82/90 Angle iron (not stamped) pit support bracket.
                  - 90XL pinwheel frame &amp; distributor support for 82/70's.
                  - The big daddy of them all: 82/70XL UPGRADE.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch:
                    What G-man said.

I'm lucky enough to still have a good relationship with the Reno Hilton. I suggest new parts for them to try &amp; let them spend their much larger budget on the experiments. They also have far greater lineage than I do. They can test a part in a month or 2 that would take me years to evaluate.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Dutch!

I worked there a couple of years in the late 80's (when it was the MGM and Bally's). We'd often try new stuff or come up with mods of our own.

I have some old photos of the shop (right before they installed autoscoring). I'm wondering if it's changed much there over the years.
                    -- Larry

Comment

Well not worked on anything newer than my ol 30's dunno whats out there!!!

However, we are given respot cell gripper pads that are stiff grey compound and take ages to bed in properly, if a lane has more than a few cells with these on it tends to black out a lot due to the pressure being exerted against the table.

Love it when someone does a bodge repair and uses a metric nut/bolt etc and leaves it until I gotta change something and come across it with my imperial tools!! the joy/

kev
                      If Wile E coyote has enough money to by all that Acme crap why doesnt he buy his dinner?

Comment

Larry,

I think I was still working up front while you were there. Which Larry are you?
                        E-mail me: dutch@775.net

Comment

i actually think its kinda cool to still have a few relics chuggin along, but for the most part, i update as needed, and as $$$$ will allow.

i took over this center 2 1/2 years ago now, i paced my self and the first three projects on my mind were
                          1) replace vantage dampners with AMF OEM style &amp; replace ragged carpets with Vantage Premiums.
                          2) replace allen bradley relays with new style (got bit on that one, bought the Vantage/GE's cuz they were $40 cheaper, well, they only seem to be lastin 18 months for me, AMF/Seimens only from now on)
                          3) replace centrifigal motor switches (in particular combo's) with SSSS's

after my first year here, boss talked to me cuz i wasnt spending enough money?? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] so boss bought me a house of humpacks and automated bumpers.

so since, i havent hesitated at buyin too many of anything, now grapevine rumors are im spendin too much, of course. im sure all of head mechs here saw that comin, hehe.

Comment

my latest little chang-over/upgrade fad is replacing cushion, dist belts, and front roller stuff over to Mr Fox's products, and replacing the Vantage/GE chassis relay's with AMF/Seimens. But i dont just go changin out for the sake of doin it, i wait til the old breaks, or is at least on its deathbed before replacing, get the most $$$$ i can out of the old stuff.

Comment

never actually seen-'em in person just in old manual photos- DIE-CAST RESPOT CELL FINGERS, anybody have any of those? Steel fingers bend when there is a table jam and sometimes still work-I would imagine the cast fingers would just break

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X