Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dist swings a the 2 and 8 pin area

I have a growing problem with the distributers at the house i work for the distributers have one by one started to swing in the 2 and 8 pin areas i have tryed new dist u-joints, dist shafts, shaft housings, cams, clutches, cluth tension, and now i have resorted to adding a spring from the o-pan to the cam follower whitch stoped it but i had to add alot of clutch tension to get it to go from the 6 to 10 pin areas. Any other ideas????

scotty

Re: dist swings a the 2 and 8 pin area

Make sure that the driveshaft hasn't been bent from a pin falling behind it and the wheel.

Also, sometimes the driveshafts have a tendency to "bottom out' in the gearbox coupling... shortening then a bit takes care of quite a few problems with distributor sway.

'Dragging' in the T-bearing also causes sway... keep a bit of grease inside the coupler and on the bearing studs.

A failing universal joint causes sway, too... it gets so much play in the joints that the bearing doesn't run straight.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:
      Also, sometimes the driveshafts have a tendency to "bottom out' in the gearbox coupling... shortening then a bit takes care of quite a few problems with distributor sway.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We found this on a lot of our machines (odd ones only). Shortened up the drive shafts a bit and they stop on a dime now, obviously other things can cause this as well, but most of the problems (especially going from 3 to 2) we've found were from this. Good call as always "G" [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
      All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

try a new safety link...if these bend they can cause swaying @ the 2 &amp; 8.

if a safety link is out of the question (or the budget), you might want to take a couple of plastic ties and "ziptie" the cam spring (which works temporarily).

Comment

I had trouble with the same swinging problem, and i cured it by greasing the rod of the saftey link that telescopes into the sheath and adding another laterel drive spring inside the saftey link spring, this is tricky but it works well, also, whip off the dizzy and make sure there is no play in the distributor support rod where it enters its mounting on the machine and make sure there is no play where it enters the dizzy, this cured it in all my saces when moved to my current centre

jez
          Want your old pins collecting anywhere in the UK? email me on jezsmith@aol.com

Comment

I have stopped many a swaying distributor from 3 to 2 by first making sure it's at the #1 position, then taking off the drive shaft and springs (the ones at the back of the dist. lateral and the other one whatever u call it ) and making sure it stays in place. 9 out of ten times when i do this they swing off to the left. I dont have a level, and I like to do it this way anyways, [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] Just loosen the 2 bolts that hold the dist. mount to the pinwheel, (I also loosen the ones at the crossbar too), make your adjustment (rudder arms make a good prybar), tighten the bolts at the pinwheel and make sure the distributor stays at #1 position. I have been leaving the bolts at the crossbar slightly loose because when tightened they torque the mount and can cause it to move back out from where you just adjusted it to. Also, if i'm going to bother doing this, I also take the clutch apart, clean it and all parts &amp; the shaft. Then I re-lube the shaft &amp; gear &amp; pinion ( I've been having excellent results with gear lube for the motors) and grease the stop blades. However I worked on one last night and this one had problems going from 7 to 8 and was rough from 8 to 5 also, along with some sway fron 3 to 2. I noticed some broken teeth on the cam but I'm sure it was unrelated as they were in the #1 area, but I replaced it anyways. So I did the balancing thing, went through the clutch, but on this one, I decided that the old worn out belt needed to go. This is the second black Vantage belt I've put on. At 1st I didn't think I'd like this belt. The one with a smooth shiny side (kinda tacky) and a rougher dull side. They're thin and I've been putting them shiny side up. Turns out their really grippy this way, and run really smooth.
            Like I say, I don't usually just do 1 thing when I get into one of these, but I'd say balancing is right up there for checking first, making sure you're not causing the drive shaft to bottom out. Then hit the clutch make sure everything is cleaned and proper parts are lubed. And sometimes you just have to get rid of old weak stretched out belts. Also bad u joints, and ball bearings ect. as mentioned above all are important too.

I still have a lot of play in this distributor when it's at rest and I'm not sure why. I had it off of the machine, greased the mounting shaft, checked the bearings.... well, the bottom one in side the tube. Couldn't really see the one way up in there. How the heck do you change those anyway? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] Maybe they're getting bad and allowing it to move around?
            Charley
            82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
            2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Comment

Originally posted by FARLEY AMF 70/90XL:
              I have stopped many a swaying distributor from 3 to 2 by first making sure it's at the #1 position, then taking off the drive shaft and springs (the ones at the back of the dist. lateral and the other one whatever u call it )
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lateral drive spring is to the right, and the fat one to the left is the safety link spring. Some good pointers in your post to help stop dist sway. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

sorry about not responding sonner i lost my internet connection and had to rewire my house sounds like fun huh ill try the things you guys posted and thanks for the help

scotty

Comment

I looked in the parts book, the last spacer where the dist. mounts isn't there. Last thing In there is the retaining ring. Might be the reason for the extra play.
                  Charley
                  82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
                  2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                  Working...
                  X