X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBL D Bore Lower Yoke Shaft Bearings

Hi,

PBL's

Has anyone been having Problems with the D bore (Bearings) going Bad on Mainly, the lower Shafts?

I have had a few go bad recently that had just been rebuilt. One Lasted a Month and a half and another lasted about four months.

The Shaft is always wore where the Yoke Bearing is positioned on it.

I normally change the shaft with the bearings so that they are both new.

The Inner Race and shaft seem to be sloppy when new.

I have Rebuilt alot of PBL's with the D bore
    Shafts and Bearings and only until Lately I have had very little problems with them. I would say in the last year or so that I have noticed.

I can't recall if they have always had that much slop in them or not when they are new?

I have 8290XL's and I beleive that they eliminated a spacer between the D bore Spacer and the inner clutch race from 8270's but I can't find this in the books?

Any Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

Re: PBL D Bore Lower Yoke Shaft Bearings

The bearings with plastic roller cages are garbage.

Who makes bearings with steel roller bearing cages?

JK

Comment

we buy vantage d-bore for our ball returns and they have yet to go out on us however the other style of bearings without the d-bore i have to replace the shaft bearing spacers and all when they go out but the vantage d-bore bearings and shafts seem to be very good

scotty

Comment

I had the same problem, the newer bearings have more wear, they have bigger balls [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] , but one ball less.
        Martin
        So it goes.

Comment

I've seen a lot of new bearings go bad in a short time because the grease they're packed with is either poor quality (low heat resistance, or they have very little grease in them at all.
          -- Larry

Comment

Originally posted by TheLegend:
            I've seen a lot of new bearings go bad in a short time because the grease they're packed with is either poor quality (low heat resistance, or they have very little grease in them at all.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Always wash and repack new bearings before use.

This still does not solve the problem with the new D bore bearings.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 82/70 king:
              Always was and repack new bearings before use.

This still does not solve the problem with the new D bore bearings.

JK
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How "new" are we talking here?

I agree the plastic retainer type bearings suck. But there's another issue too in how the bearings sit in the assembly after everything is torqued down.
              -- Larry

Comment

Wash brand new bearings in solvent right out of the wrapper.

Comment

The last D bore bearings I got had the metal cover that I don't think is removable. Where can I get the ones that have the black cover that you can remove and pack grease into?
                  Also the clutch races that I have got have are much bigger holes where the set screw goes and it allows a lot of play. Is there a different part number to get the ones with smaller holes?? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] These are kicker lifts that have been converted to D bore before I worked here.
                  Charley
                  82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
                  2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Comment

Kevin,

I’ve found that you still need to torque the D-bores down to the 62 ft lbs that the book says to use for the old style shafts or they’ll try to spin the shaft round.

I went back to the round shafts. If the D-bore shaft gets worn, even a little, they don’t want to come apart. As long as you torque the round shafts to 62 ft lbs they’ll last (almost) forever. There are 2 lifts with round shafts at the Reno Hilton that were rebuilt by Larry (The Legend). (What’s it been Larry, 16-17 yrs?) That’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million frames per lift &amp; still going. Unbelievable? I didn’t believe it either until I researched it, but the records don’t lie &amp; they’ve always kept very thorough records.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch:
                      Kevin,

I've found that you still need to torque the D-bores down to the 62 ft lbs that the book says to use for the old style shafts or they'll try to spin the shaft round.

I went back to the round shafts. If the D-bore shaft gets worn, even a little, they don't want to come apart. As long as you torque the round shafts to 62 ft lbs they'll last (almost) forever. There are 2 lifts with round shafts at the Reno Hilton that were rebuilt by Larry (The Legend). (What's it been Larry, 16-17 yrs?) That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million frames per lift &amp; still going. Unbelievable? I didn't believe it either until I researched it, but the records don't lie &amp; they've always kept very thorough records.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That we did....

Each ball lift assembly was numbered on the center tube. So no matter which pair of machines it was in we could quickly figure out it's history (ie which pairs it was installed in... how long it was there.... what was done to it, etc.).

Chances are those round bore units that are still going were ones I actually cleaned out and repacked during a rebuild (because we were switching to D-bores back then). So they're probably older than what the records show.
                      -- Larry

Comment

So....who sells round shafts and bearings?

JK

Comment

Yes give me the details on the round stuff....
                          Peanut

Comment

AMF still sells them. They changed the part number to a 610 ??? ??? kit. I think they call it old style bearing and spacer kit.

Pete

Comment

I use the round shafts and bearings and have great luck with them. I use a small screw driver to remove the seals (carefully) and pack them full of grease each summer when I do the pits. So far no do overs. I'll post part #'s tommorrow.
                              Give the most difficult task to the laziest workers. They will eventually find the easiest possible way of getting it done!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X