Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dist. Clutch chatter

Believe this was on here recently, but what can cause the clutch to chatter while it is idling?
    Works good, just annoying noise.
    Point me to right postings, was unable to find it my own illiterate self.

Re: Dist. Clutch chatter

Clutch plate wore where the pinion engages the plate.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 82/70 king:
      Clutch plate wore where the pinion engages the plate.

JK
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, it is caused by this. In a pinch (or for those centers with very tight budgets) we used to JB weld the pinion to the clutch plate at the first sign of wear (you could even do it out of the box, new). Not exactly my idea of maintaining things, but works well, especially for those centers where money's tight.
      "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Making the pinion and plate one-piece does prevent chatter... I used to take the older pinions and a few plates with some wear on the pinion engagement points, and tap the MIG welder around it... 4 spots, 90 degrees apart. Brought the older plates and pinions back to life like they were new... and managed to get another year or two of running out of them. I'm not cheap, and the parts budget isn't really an issue... I just hate throwing something out if I can get more use out of it with only a little effort.

We found that when cleaning clutches, wiping off the nylon ring with a clean rag that has a little silicone lube sprayed onto it kills plate chatter and keeps the ring from seizing to the plates from heat. Doesn't seem to affect the clutch operation... doesn't slip or stall. The trick is not to 'soak' the rag with silicone... just a very light spray on it is enough to treat all 30 of our clutches.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

I’ve always wondered what caused what. Did the clutch/pinion wear cause the chatter or did the clutch chatter cause the wear? You know, the chicken or the egg thing. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

When I had a TIG I used to weld new pinions to the new clutch plates. It works even better if you use an Enviro pinion bushings &amp; stop blades. Can't do it with a stick welder. New TIG is on order. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Whisper quiet now, thanks. Better to spot weld inside of plate and grind smooth, or knock plastic off back and hit it on backside?

Comment

Beware of warping the clutch plate when welding the pinion to it. The only way I was able to avoid it was to weld for only a few seconds at a time &amp; dunk it in water immediately.

Anyone have a better way to avoid warpage?

Comment

With the MIG, I don't think I had one warp yet. A lot of it is how you weld it. I cut the nylon ring rivets off and remove the ring, then set the welder for a hot weld. I just 'tap' the welder in 4 spots across from each other around the pinion... just long enough to spot weld it. If you lay on the weld or use a cooler setting, you wind up building up enough heat to warp the plate (or even the pinion).
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks again.

Comment

The pinion/plate wear comes from problems with the outer plate and clutch worm not mating right.

If the outer plate isn't formed right (or bent) it will make the entire clutch wobble on the pinion.

Clutches chatter when they get dirty. More often because people apply too much grease on the stop blades or oil in the pinion. The excess lube gets into the disc, dries out from the friction and then you get the chatter.

A trick I learned while in Reno was to slide a small piece plain paper into the clutch and hold it while it's running. This would help get some of the dried up lube out and quiet things down.
                    -- Larry

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...
                    Working...
                    X