TOTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stahl's spring tool

This will probably sound really stupid, but I just got one of stahl's front roller spring tools but I don't quite understand how to use it. Any one that has it, please shed some light on my stupidity.
    Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Re: Stahl's spring tool

No stupid questions, remember. Hook your tool on the cradle and pull until stretched fully. Slide the tool over as much of the spring as possible. Slowly release the cradle until remaining pressure is removed. The part of the spring inside the tool stays expanded thereby lengthing the spring. Waala. Slip ends off machine bracketts and remove cradle. CAUTION: Handle tool gently while spring is in it. They can POP out and fly. Yowza, what an opener that is. I've drilled a hole in my bench just off to the side of my vice to reload them in the event that happens. Just clamp one end in vice, tightly, sticking out the side. I use an old dist driveshaft and slide thru other end and into the hole in the bench and pull. Slide tool on and release. "Good Luck"
    Give the most difficult task to the laziest workers. They will eventually find the easiest possible way of getting it done!

Comment

if possible install wire ties around the the spring and tool before pulling off ,this helps keep it a little safer.
      Just cut the wire tyes when the spring is reinstalled.
      Peanut

Comment

Originally posted by masternut:
        if possible install wire ties around the the spring and tool before pulling off ,this helps keep it a little safer.
        Just cut the wire tyes when the spring is reinstalled.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good tip Peanut, we've been using wire ties since we got the tool. Just be sure to use soem good thick ones..it's worth the few extra cents for piece of mind.
        "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Too dangerous!

Use a finger grip removal tool with the edges ground down....put a 5/8 socket inside.....use a long 3/8 extension......hook spring in hinge.......slide spring over post with ease......safe...no flying springs.

JK

Comment

I've been bitten by springs flying off those things. Mine's in a landfill somewhere.

Similar to King’s tool (&amp; for the same safety reason) is a tool I learned about here a couple of years ago. I think it was in the “Coors tip of the week” category.

Take a 2’ long piece of ½” conduit.
            Cutting both sides of the conduit, make about a ½” lengthways cut.
            Cut off 1 of the 2 sides.

You now have a complete spring installation tool that will make your life easier than you ever thought it could be.

To use your new tool, hook one end of the spring to the hinge. Put your new tool thru the other end of the spring. Hook the tool onto the spring stud &amp; pull toward the rear of the machine… Done!

Best thing since the cordless screwdriver!

Comment

How do you remove the spring to begin with? I understand the tool(s) your describing. I have one of those also, but I use the Stahl for removal anyway so just leave it in and reinstall.
              Give the most difficult task to the laziest workers. They will eventually find the easiest possible way of getting it done!

Comment

Removing the spring is the easy part. Stick a screwdriver (preferably a long one) in front of the spring post &amp; pry the spring off the post. Spring will snap but almost always stay hooked to the hinge.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Black Consoles

I got tired of the black consoles braking and they look bad.so I made my own....

Deck knocking pins over on new racks (Need help ASAP)

I am still very new to working on a2s first off.

We started having this issue on tuesday where when the pinsetter goes to spot a new set of pins, a few of them fall...

Express Model B 40 lanemachine

Can somebody give an explaniton how pins 2, 3, 6 are supposed to be connected. I had a shortcircuit there for the drive motor connection because of water leakage.

82-70 Distributor belt pulling to the side.

I have a distributor that is pulling the belt hard to the left in the nine pin position (and possibly 6 pin), but seems fine in the other spots. As you can see the residue and...

82-90 XLi Pin Elevator

I have several Pin Elevators that I believe to be out of round on my XLi's and was curious if anyone has ever run across this before and is so, what you did about it.
                I'm...
                Working...
                X