Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stahl's combo wireway relay

In one of my centers I have westinghouse motors with stahl's black box relay. The sweep tends to coast on about 10 of them periodically. I have changed chassis, stator, checked C-1 pins, and checked the cam levers. When I put the mechanical swith stator in it is fine. Has anyone had this problem with any of these relays or could the gearbox cause this?

Re: stahl's combo wireway relay

I've got twenty machines that were converted for Stahl's relays. We have some heavy duty lineage and they last for about four years. When you need to change a relay, you remove the three wires.
    The rest of the house has an assortment of different modules. This summer I plan to convert a few more machines over to Stahl's relays.
    "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
    Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

The first thing to do would be to reheck your wiring to the stator, then double check it. Chassis pin 24t in your C2A plug is your sweep brake make sure they are not disconnected. Now you stated that the sweep coasts, have you tried swapping stators with the table? It is much harder to keep the table from coasting than the sweep do to the weight difference. And yes the gearbox can also be a factor if the gearbox cannot hold itself in one place it will coast because the capacitors will stop the motor but won't hold in place. Were almost done, make sure your capacitors are working properly. Since you have already changed chassis I won't go there. If interested I will tell you how to check capacitors.
      I am running Vantage solid state run winding switches with no problems exept after installing stator on sweep I loose sweep reverse control but swapping a few wires fix that problem. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by pinboy68:
        If interested I will tell you how to check capacitors.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm interested...how do you check a capacitor to be sure it is good?
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

First of all pull up your wire channel cover. the sweep capacitors are labeled CSM1 and CSM2. Be safe and make sure they are discharged by placing insulated pliers or needle nose pliers across both screws of each capacitor. Now take one screw off each capacitor .(one at a time) take your ohm meter and measure the resistance between the terminals. It should take less than a minute to read 50,000 ohms. If you read 0 ohms there is a short, or no reading means there is an open. If you have a manual it is also on pages 7.13 &amp; 7.14. Let me know how it goes. If nothing works you may have to try a different style switch. I don't have the part # right now but will get it to you if you are interested. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SHAW:
            In one of my centers I have westinghouse motors with stahl's black box relay. The sweep tends to coast on about 10 of them periodically. I have changed chassis, stator, checked C-1 pins, and checked the cam levers. When I put the mechanical swith stator in it is fine. Has anyone had this problem with any of these relays or could the gearbox cause this?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have noticed this problem too on my Sweep motors and have found that the points inside the relay develop buil-up similar to the points on the motor switches inside the stators. Open up the relay and file the contact points clean. This will ensure less resistance and good breaking. If all else fails, swap gearboxes with S&amp;T and see if your ocasional coast goes away. If it does after the swap, you may need to shim the gearbox.
            I've had some coast past the 2-3 line (of course instant interlock [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] )

But I know exactly what you mean about the very occasional coast that drives you nuts.
            "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

CAPS ARE GOOD. I DID CHECK THEM. I THINK I AM GOING TO CHANGE ONE TO AN AMF RELAY. I NOTICED THEIR VOLTAGE RAITING IC HIGHER. THANKS GUYS, I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED.

Comment

I prefer to switch Table and sweep motors once a year, this will prolong the life of your gearing as the table Motor carries the most load

Comment

I have never had coasting problems with the relays.

Change out the contactors in the chassis to the Bowl-tronics SS units.....you will never have a coasting problem.

JK

Comment

I HAVE BOWL-TRONICS RELAYS IN MY WHOLE HOUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Monty:
                      I prefer to switch Table and sweep motors once a year, this will prolong the life of your gearing as the table Motor carries the most load
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What we do to help prolong the life of the gear set is to remove the gearbox from the shaft, spin the stator 20 turns clockwise (to insure you go the same direction every year) and reinstall the gearbox. This causes the wear points on the gears to move every year and help them last longer. What do you guys think??? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Steve, I'ts a great idea, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Besides you are also able to lube your motor splines.(hopefully with anti-seize lubricant) :p

Comment

Originally posted by pinboy68:
                          (hopefully with anti-seize lubricant)
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only way to do it...anti-seize is your freind.
                          Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Stahl's gets those relays from Grainger. Does anyone know the Grainger part #?
                            My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey:
                              Stahl's gets those relays from Grainger. Does anyone know the Grainger part #?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">6X550
                              "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X