• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease

Has anyone tried synthetic grease?

Does it last longer?

JK

Re: Grease

King I have. I am sure that the house that I work at is a lot lower linage than yours.

Synthetic works fine but for me it does not seem to last as long in our application.

Comment

"What's the difference between conventional petroleum motor oils and synthetic motor oils?"

Conventional petroleum oils are refined from crude oil which is pumped from within the earth. The refining process, however, does not remove many of the impurities inherent in the crude oil. These impurities detract form the lubricating ability of the oil and contribute to deposit, sludge and varnish formation. Synthetic motor oils are constructed in the laboratory and contain no impurities. Synthetic motor oils have uniform molecular structures and are designed for specific lubricating applications. they are not affected by the high temperatures or demanding operating conditions of modern engines.

Synthetic Grease
      Superior protection for wheel bearings and other components operating in high-temperature/high-speed, high-load/low-speed, or water immersion conditions. Spray formulation ideal for greasing hard-to-reach equipment. Synthetic Fifth Wheel and Open Gear Compound stays in place and protects over a broad temperature range without flaking in low temperatures or softening in high temperatures.

Grease= YUK! I'm pretty much allergic to it and cannot afford the options my Doctor would opt me to do (change professions). I therefore use alot of WD 40.

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

This advanced PTFE synthetic fluoropolymer formula provides outstanding lubrication and corrosion protection under extreme temperature, pressure and motion. It may be used on axles, bushings, cables, snow blowers,bowling machines, lawnmowers and garage door tracks.

Also great for sport equipment, such as fishing gear, guns and bicycles.

Will opt to try this synthetic...grease in a can [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] :p
      If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it." -W.C.Fields

Comment

For surface greasing, I've had good luck with spray-on white lithium grease.

As an alternative to WD40, we use either Synco Super-Lube (good) or Valvoline SynPower (better) sprays. LPS's line of aerosol lubes also gets very high marks in my book.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Hey everyone, there are very few parts I use grease on. When it comes to rod ends, cams, etc. all I use is 30 weight oil. It's a lot less messy and you can lube so much more in a day. What i've found is oil penetrates rod ends better than grease. When it comes to front roller brackets and table/sweep shaft splines use Anti-Seize luricant only. As for pillow blocks, table drive assy, inside roller bearings, and a couple other small applications, thats the only place I use
          grease. Oh by the way have any of you noticed that some of the new rod ends dont even have zert fittings. Enjoy! :p

Comment

Hey everyone, there are very few parts I use grease on. When it comes to rod ends, cams, etc. all I use is 30 weight oil. It's a lot less messy and you can lube so much more in a day. What i've found is oil penetrates rod ends better than grease. When it comes to front roller brackets and table/sweep shaft splines use Anti-Seize luricant only. As for pillow blocks, table drive assy, inside roller bearings, and a couple other small applications, thats the only place I use
            grease. Oh by the way have any of you noticed that some of the new rod ends dont even have zert fittings. Enjoy! :p

Comment

Hey Felix,

Are you an Ams/Oil dealer, too? That description sounds very familiar… Very accurate, too.

I prefer synthetic lube, oil &amp; grease, both. Every mechanical item I work on gets it. I have a ’63 Ford ½ ton with over 300k miles on it. It uses about 1 qt about every 6 months. I’ve been using Ams/Oil in it, bumper to bumper, for as long as I’ve had it.

As for whether to grease or oil on pinspotters/pinsetters, I don’t think it matters much. There aren’t any REAL high temp or load applications. Just keep them lubed. That’s all that matters.

Pinboy,

Most of the rod ends that don’t have grease fittings are considered “lubeless”. Check out the ones listed in the Grainger catalog. My goal is to have Grainger rod ends &amp; Enviro bushings in all my machines… 99% lubeless pinspotters!

Comment

Dutch, I havent seen any Grainger rod ends yet. I will look them up when I get to work today. Amf actually has rod ends without the fittings, they look and feel like all the rest. Im not sure if they are "lubeless" or not, I still put oil in them for good measure. Thanks for the info. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch:
                  Hey Felix,

Are you an Ams/Oil dealer, too? That description sounds very familiar… Very accurate
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just a copy cat from W-D 40 website. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Dutch: will give you a jingle, when I arrive Wed at Circus Circus...approx 1 or 2pm.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Felix,

I work nights. Try my house before the cell.

Comment

the synthetic grease i tried was not much cop, it didnt last as long as a good quality grease laced with molybdenum disulphide, im sure there are good synthetic greases out there, in theory synthetic should be better, for example, i have an old 'station wagon' style british car powered by a 3200cc 6 cylinder perkins direct injection turbo diesel, its headgasket started to weep at 300,000 miles and i rebuilt the engine, since day one it has had 'millers XFE synthetic diesel specific engine oil' in it, i ran a dial guage down the bores and could not detect a lip, even on the edge opposite the 6 jet injector, there was no wear on the cam lobes (OHC) and no (excessive) play in the turbo bearings, i have serviced it since it had 500 miles on it from new, i bought it off its first owner. i tow a caravan, boat and large trailers with it (not at the same time any smart @rses thinking of commenting) and do the 78 mile daily round trip to the bowl in it, every morning it starts immidiatley, the oil pressure jumps to 60psi, it uses about 1/2 a pint between the 10,000 mile service intervals, what better advert is there for synthetic OILs!

as for penetrating oil, i have found NOTHING more effective than plain diesel, PlusGas and WD40 are both good, i use a dry teflon(?) lubricant called 'drube' here
                      Want your old pins collecting anywhere in the UK? email me on jezsmith@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinboy68:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Originally posted by pinboy68:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let me apologise in advance...I am new here...and this may have already been covered....1 good product for items like rod ends...and more especialy the respot cell studs (in the fingers) is a good spray gel lube... this sprays on like oil...and hardens into a greese like substance. It may not last as long as greese, but the time you save in applying will justify doing it more often. the one I use is Karr...Shaw is also familar with it as I got the company name from him.... They also have a wonderful (if a bit overkill for pinsetters) greese!!! I can get anyone the info that would like it

Comment

I must be old fasioned i use an oil can and a tube of Grease only the best quality will do
                            i don't know much about sythetic oils but i do know most of them are detergent based and in gearboxes ect. they can foam up a little
                            Just my 2 cents worth
                            First you clean it
                            then you lube it
                            then you clean it
                            then you adjust it
                            then you clean it
                            then you clean it some more

Comment

CASTROL HTB

way to go guys

clay based, works well in hot places
                              i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X