Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table not smooth

Ok group, my table runs down jerky while setting a new rack. The spotting cups also are not smooth. They hesitatate and then go then hesitate then go on over. The table runs smooth when it is picking up the pins after first ball. Help please.

Re: Table not smooth

The cups wobbling as it spots sure sounds like it's the cup tension springs (there's 3 of them on the yoke), they may be out of adj. (loose) or broken, check those out , and try tightening them up some, just make sure ya don't tighten too much or if you're only setting some pins the cups will throw them forward and all over the deck.
    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Make sure that the 5 pin cup isnt dragging on the yoke as it turns.

Comment

I have found that a loose table drive housing where it bolts to the end of the shaft. Also being dry but I would first use oil where the eccentric swings on the housing because if there is old hard grease in there and you pump grease into it, it could get worse before it gets better. (learned that from Ed Fox). also if the large nylock nut on the table lowering link is too tight it will cause binding. I have found this to be the most common. If you hold the shuttle and spot one or two pins and it runs smoothly, then most likley it is the torsion springs. (Is there others like perhaps "G" who would agree with me?)
        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Dont forget to check the Eccentric its self....Clevis rod end bearings too(although they USUALLY affect both cycles) however, leave one thing out, and that will inveribly be your "gremlin" another thing I have seen cause the table to bounce on spot is loose front end to "a" frame bolts....if these are loose, your sweep will cause the table to jump as it goes past the 4 5 6 line.....Good luck

Comment

Pull the gearbox and check the splines on the table shaft. A jerky table can be caused by the table shaft being bad.

Comment

Agreed, Brunsamf... If it'll spot a single 5pin or head pin smoothly, the torsion prings are doing their jobs. If the shakiness gets worse with only 1 pin, the tension is off.

The starting point for setting torsion spring tension is so the clamp is in line with the gap in the cup clamps... then adjust for more or less from there if needed.

Look for bent rails on the cell stringers, too... if one gets a big enough wave in it, it'll hit the corner of a cup.

Also, take a lok at the front end... specifically the table shaft... when it's turning, there should be no in-out/side-to-side movement... if it develops a hairline crack, or breaks under one of the cams, it'll cause wobbling because it's out of round when running.
              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

If it only happens when spotting and not during respot I doubt that it is the shaft or gearbox.Another thing to check would be the cam follower in the cup actuator assembly. Make sure the lever that is connected to the one pin shaft hasnt moved and is binding a bit. Also check the tension of the big spring on the yoke leg.

Comment

You may want to check your table stabilizing rods/rod ends by trying to wiggle the table up and down. This kind of slop can lead to the jerkiness you describe.

RR

Comment

your table drive can make your table shake on spotting and not respotting if it has lost its loading, check the bolt thru the eccentric is tight (REAL TIGHT) and then tighten the nut onto it, then pump it with grease, in respot mode the eccentric is locked, so wobble can only be caused by a loose table drive bolt that tightens the table drive onto the shaft.

rebuild your spot / respot lever assy, poor cam followers, springs, spring plates and spring pins

check your spot / respot cam it could have a lump or a worn area, it doesn't take much to create a shake

check your spot rod, rod ends and check the shaft that goes thru the table that your spot rod connects onto, seen a lot of older machines have this problems due to people not wanting to lubricate this area, bushes could be worn or shaft flogged out

set your 3 springs to the correct tension

and if all else fails, re grease your x frame bearings and check your table legs

and before you start stripping your gearbox, throw it on another lane and see if it creates the same problem
                    i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

Originally posted by VADistMech:
                      Pull the gearbox and check the splines on the table shaft. A jerky table can be caused by the table shaft being bad.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">An easier way to tell if your g-box and/or table shaft splines are worn is to watch the shuttle. the shuttle should move fairly slow and smooth if splines are good. If they are worn the shuttle is going to snap forward real hard and erratic. One other way is to put a pin offspot, when the tension is off of clevis shut machine off, grab shuttle cam with a rag and try to move it both directions. I understand this is probably not your problem, I just wanted to share some info.

Comment

Originally posted by KountryLanes:
                        Ok group, my table runs down jerky while setting a new rack. The spotting cups also are not smooth. They hesitatate and then go then hesitate then go on over. The table runs smooth when it is picking up the pins after first ball. Help please.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would check the bushings and nut/shoulder bolt combo on the pin cup accuator arm. If one or more of those 3 are worn or shot it will cause this type of jerkiness, and is the easiest to check 1st.
                        It's been awhile but I have much more to share!!!

Comment

All absolutely excellent suggestions!
                          An outside chance might be the wheel shaft splines inside the gearbox are toast(assuming GE or WH).
                          This is a great page to print for just such an occasion!
                          Chad

Comment

Excellent suggestions.All relevent.Perhaps all the areas involved in spotting should be checked.Can you run the table in a spotting cycle from the cams and without pins , several times and there is no jerk , then look further the tie rod thro from pin 1 to pin 9 and the plate behind the spotting lever with the spring attached that the cam follower runs on.If the spring hanger plate is worn the hole is enlarged and the bolt shank gets worn forcing the action to become more and more weak when going to spot and jerk. This is,as you and our good friends say only appears worse when a full rack of pins is being spotted.So as i say try the operation holding down the spotting latch and activating TA1 with no pins to see how smooth the operation is. The weight of the pins makes all the difference approx.36 pounds.
                            Good luck. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

My old house had a jerky table once, I wasn't there and don't recall much about the problem except jerky table. Boss did all of the above only to find a bad wire to motor plug. Three or five wires were all that were left, so it would run but not 100%. Weird things, 82-70's. Everythings an adventure. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Give the most difficult task to the laziest workers. They will eventually find the easiest possible way of getting it done!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X