Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep Rocker Arm Weldment

Alright, everyone I am looking for some help. Today during the Womens' State Tornament I had something happen that I have not seen happen before as long as I have been in this mechanic business(22 years), maybe I have been lucky up till now. I inherited this center again, a 40 laner, after someone eles that did not believe in maintenance or upkeep other than duct tape repairs or sloopy unexperience welding. Well, anyway enough bitching. The problem that ocurred today is that I had a sweep rocker arm weldment break in half on the 1-2-6-10 side of the machine.Is it possible with a professional to weld the piece back together or does the weldment have to be removed from the machine, which if this is the case then the weldment should be replaced with a new one. Now, how does a person or persons go about removing the weldment from the machine and what all is involed and what has to be disassembled. It looks like no easy task. I would sure appreciate some serious help and sugguestions. Sorry about writing a book, but to explain a problem. This machines were installed in 1985 and are 82-70s' Thanks for any and all help. Chuck
    To The World You May Be One Person,but To One Person You Might Be The World.

Re: Sweep Rocker Arm Weldment

I have welded about three or four in my 24 years. They all broke in the same general area , about 3 or 4 inches from the end of arm where the bolt goes thru.So I assume that is where yours broke.It just really depends on your situation on whether you weld or replace.If you are confident in your welding , do it yourself.If time is not crucial and you don't trust your welding you can hire a pro.Or,if you have a spare rocker arm , change it , then weld it or have someone else weld it and use it for a spare.

Comment

i Have had to weld a few before new one's and old one's
      if your good enough you can weld them in the machine but i prefer to take them out.
      just so you know you have a good weld on both sides. did the insert for the bolt come right out or did it just peel the rear section of the weldment off
      First you clean it
      then you lube it
      then you clean it
      then you adjust it
      then you clean it
      then you clean it some more

Comment

Just re-read your post again.I have never changed one myself but I would unbolt everything that is bolted to the rocker arm itself until the only parts holding it onto the machine are the pillow blocks.Then remove both pillow blocks and see if you can twist it out.If not,you may have to remove probably just one of the catwalks or you will just see what needs to be done at that point.

Comment

In reference to sweep rocker arm post- the leg of the weldment broke away from the main weldment just above where the connecting rods bolt into the weldment.

Comment

That is the most common place chuck
            it's a big job to remove it but in the long run you will get a better result
            First you clean it
            then you lube it
            then you clean it
            then you adjust it
            then you clean it

Comment

Where would a person start to remove the weldment from the machine after disconnecting the connecting rods from both sides of the sweep. Will the weldment come out throigh the top or drop down after pillow blocks are removed. What kind of time frame are we looking at. I have no spare on hand but can get one within a couple of days.

Comment

it comes out through the top take your machine chassis off and remove your catwalks you will be able too see what else needs removing from there
                First you clean it
                then you lube it
                then you clean it
                then you adjust it
                then you clean it

Comment

You will also need to pull your distributor. Also remove shuttle connecting rod and shuttle spring. Your bin assy. will need to be moved back toward distributor mount. BE CAREFUL!!!

Comment

Yeah it's not a fun job
                    First you clean it
                    then you lube it
                    then you clean it
                    then you adjust it
                    then you clean it

Comment

A seriously not fun project. You gotta pull the dist., both catwalks, the chassis mount, the shuttle rod, put two bolts in the back of the bins so they don't slide out, lift up the bin (the book says put a 2x4 under it to hold it up, I believe you also have to pull the pins the bins sit on at the front of the machine, then the pillow blocks holding the rocker arm in, disconnect all rods and, Viola! Took me 4 hours to do my first one. Good luck
                      My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

its a pretty simple job, that many of us don't have the misfortune of doing

everyones lead you the right way

17 years, i had to weld 1 and fix up someone elses poor weld on another
                        i don't need mods, i am a bloody genius

Comment

Originally posted by craigchandler:
                          its a pretty simple job, that many of us don't have the misfortune of doing

everyones lead you the right way

17 years, i had to weld 1 and fix up someone elses poor weld on another
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In 18 years only had to replace 1. :p

Comment

It is a pain, in my 6 years (64 lane house tho) I've had to help remove 2 to have welded (I wish they'd get new ones but they just have em welded, luckilly no probs with either and they were changed years ago). A long job to say the least, lotsa stuff has to come off
                            All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by craigchandler:
                              its a pretty simple job
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Everybody else says its a pain...is it?
                              TSM & TSM Training Development
                              Main Event Entertainment
                              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X