Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parts storage

been having a disagreement with supervisors as to how parts should be stored and accesed. It seems most effective to me if they are arranged by part #. They want to arrange parts by assembly. Does it make any difference either way?

Re: parts storage

We have a custom made cabinet for all small parts. Rows are labelled A,B,C.... Columns 1,2,3,.... Every part is in a card catalog in order by part #. Find the part #, then say look for box F-13. Makes finding parts a snap. Unless the owner takes a card out and I need that part the next week.

Comment

All my parts are arranged by assy. All my table parts in one group,distributer parts in another, And so on. I have peg boards that I hang everything on. Or shelving that the bigger stuff will lay on, But it's all grouped. Makes for easy find & easy inventory. But either way, It should be the mechanic to decide. As he's the one working in back, He should have a system thats comfortable to him. Unless your boss works the machines too, Tell him you'd like to try it your way first.
      Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

I much prefer by assembly. We hang all our parts on the wall that way. If you need a ball lift part, look where the ball lift parts are. We also cross sectioned the wall by part #, for looking up ease, but by the assy. is the way to go.
        My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

I agree with the assembly design. My shop is organized by assembly with the intent that if I need a part quickly (or in a crisis situation) I do not have to waste time looking up a number and finding it. If a pinchaser needs a sweep shock mount he should know to go to the sweep section of peg board and find it. Most of the newer guys do not have alot of the frequently used part number memorized yet.
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

wow, really? aren't there parts common to more than one assy?

Comment

Assembly method is best....

JK

Comment

Definitely by assy (area of machine).

When a thingy breaks on a machine - who knows its part number?

Do you want to go straight to the "sweep/whatever" cupboard, or...... go to the book, look it up, find the #, find the card then find the cupboard/bin - pfft - too hard (even with Parts Tracker 'helping' ;-)!

Yes, there are many parts that are used across different areas (my fave is the 6142 bumper for 70s) - but mostly they get to be known for one area (the 6142 is mostly known for dizzy - 'cos that's the one that needs replacing the most). If you're pedantic (like me and Dale!;-) then you can put some in both cupboards/bins (only necessary if you have easily-confused casuals).

Things like bearings, split pins, cotter pins, circlips, x-washers, nuts, bolts - well obviously they should be stored in their own sections/bins 'cos they are used all over the place.

If you set up your shop by #, you will eventually know where everything is anyway (I know a centre like that and they do fine). But you really screw with the minds of your casuals or new ppl, and is it really worth it? There seems to be no real benefit in the # system.

My 2 cents (Aus cents, so worth a bit less of course).

Cheers,
                Andrew.

Comment

By the looks of it so far im the only one who perfers having parts in numerical order.
                  I do have a peg board outside the shop with larger parts which wont fit into the parts bins.
                  All belts are on their own pegboard.
                  Besides cotter pins, roll pins, X-washers, etc.
                  everything is in parts bins in numerical order. To each his own, i guess.

Comment

We have ours done by assy also. By number wouldn't be too bad as I've been around long enough to know some #'s by heart, but a newer guy would have to look everything up to find it. Just a personal preference thing I guess, but by assy works fine for us [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Originally posted by pinboy68:
                      By the looks of it so far im the only one who perfers having parts in numerical order.
                      I do have a peg board outside the shop with larger parts which wont fit into the parts bins.
                      All belts are on their own pegboard.
                      Besides cotter pins, roll pins, X-washers, etc.
                      everything is in parts bins in numerical order. To each his own, i guess.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am the only mechanic at my center, thats why this system works good.

Comment

the advantage to arrranging parts numerically is that it is foolproof--anyone can find a part without having to know it's location, and more importantly, know if that part is on hand or not. My big concern is running out of commonly used parts. If I don't do the ordering, how can I even locate the part without physically memorizing it's location? I've worked both types and am really surprised at these responses! I was hoping for everyone to say locating by part #, then I was going to print responses,etc, show boss....@#$! you guys are fired.

Comment

then I was going to print responses,etc, show boss....@#$! you guys are fired.

You mean I can go home now ????????

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by solardanl:
                            [QB]the advantage to arrranging parts numerically is that it is foolproof--anyone can find a part without having to know it's location, and more importantly, know if that part is on hand or not. My big concern is running out of commonly used parts. If I don't do the ordering, how can I even locate the part without physically memorizing it's location?

I dont know about everyone else. But when I use a part I write it down. No matter what it is. I use to use a clip-board. But found a small class room chalk board &amp; use it now. Everything is noted, Then when it's time to order parts I know what I used, So now know what is needed. I write discription &amp; part number. If I'm in a hurry I write down discription &amp; look the number up later. This way I dont forget.

Comment

you can't go home just yet old school, still gotta tell me all you know. Like, what are the biggest headaches/pitfalls of being a head mechanic?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X