Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT WORKS IT WORKS!!!!!!

5 years ago I modified a part on my 70's knowing in my mind that it would work. I called around and asked AMF, STAHL'S 70'S, JAYHAWK, as many vendors that I knew of at the time just to ask them if it would work and they all said the same thing NO NO NO NO. Now that I no that there is no possible way that I am going to be able to get a patent on it and maybe alot of other people have already tried this on the machines also and I'm just the last to know about it. Your link spring assembly on your spot solenoid you know the little spring thingy with the three slide bars that you basically have to do a magic act most of the time to try and put back together when replacing them. You can take your spring and washer keepers out of there completely. The first one that I made I used just regular flat iron and drilled my holes accordingly. Still worked just as good as my second go of it. The next time I had one fall apart on me I just took 2 of the 3 slide bars clamped them together and welded them. Everyone that I talked to said that it would be way too heavy and that the solenoid would never pull it or would prematurely wear out the spot solenoid. Well I decided against what all the worldly brains thought and did it. The first one that I put on was in the fall of 98' and it still looks like brand new today. It hasn't bent anything on my table drive assembly like what they would say would happen. Maybe someone has already done this but it works for me and I just want to pass it on to everyone. It might not save much but over time it might save you alot of headaches from it.
    Live The Dream.

Re: IT WORKS IT WORKS!!!!!!

GO FOR IT, my brotha! Good luck and hope it makes u some BUX! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Sound like a cool idea. I'd like to see some photo's of this brain storm. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
      Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

What you're talking about is the safety link assembly. It's supposed to prevent damage to the remaining linkage and/or the TDA latch assembly in case something binds up.

I'm presuming your fix is to make it into a single solid link? Should work, but you are giving up any protection you had against breaking anything else.
        -- Larry

Comment

Now I havent worked on 82/30s for 19 years but I was always looking for ways to improve the operation of the machine.Years later it hit me, theres the answer for the spring on the camgate solenoid,the spring on the spotting solenoid on the 82/70.For those still with links to a 30 you understand the problem,new spring, only to break the first night on,in the middle of league.I find out now that if they were chromed like many were they broke more easily.
          Now my problem is having worked for 11 years on 70s and never seeing one break, why would you want to change it?
          willey.
          always doing my best.

Comment

It's not the spring that's the problem on this occasion. It the wear on the legs, which causes the whole assembly to fall apart. What we normally do is wrap a small cable tie round the 3 legs to get us out of a tight spot.

It is a cracking idea, one of those small parts that cost's little and can be time consuming to resolve. We have a spare solenoid assembly built up ready to go on. When we have a problem on shift, all we have to do is disconnect the shuttle rod, remove the 2 9/16 bolts through the top and finally the 2 bolts near the eccentric drive. The whole process takes about 10 minutes. We've used it a couple of times. We only managed to aquire this assembly when someone we know was removing machines from a bowl which had recently closed.

Comment

Bad idea.

The supporting parts will egg out and wear prematurely. The spring action takes away the shock.......JMO

JK

Comment

Yes but why do you have to have 2 springs in the same safety mech. You already have a spring on your table drive assembly giving you plenty of safety right there. You also have the tension spring to gide it and also pull it back. I never had any oval out on me yet.
                Live The Dream.

Comment

Originally posted by bowling mech ne:
                  Yes but why do you have to have 2 springs in the same safety mech. You already have a spring on your table drive assembly giving you plenty of safety right there. You also have the tension spring to gide it and also pull it back. I never had any oval out on me yet.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not exactly. The spring on the TDA latch is for making sure the latch relocks itself after a spot cycle. But what happens when your TDA latch binds as it tries to open? (and they do bind at times)? Can you say bent or broken latch arm?
                  -- Larry

Comment

Larry,

I see what he's saying. There's still the TDA actuator spring that will protect it. P/N 070-001-844 or 070-001-931 depending on which TDA you have.

I don't think I would do this mod but I don't see a problem with it. Checking those links is part of my summer PM. I haven't had one come apart in 10-15 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch:
                      I haven't had one come apart in 10-15 yrs.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now that I've said that, watch 4 or 5 of them let go before I have a chance to check them

Comment

You used to jinx yourself a lot, Dutch. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway.... I understand what he's trying to do. My point is about eliminating a safety feature for the sake of convenience.
                        -- Larry

Comment

Well maybe I'm wrong for doing it and trying it. I might pull the ones off for safety sake and put all new on but I would still put them on a hook for when one does go out just because they work great even in a pinch. Just thought I would pass it on didn't want to create any arguments over it.
                          Live The Dream.

Comment

Hey Big Apple,
                            I don't think it's an arguement? Others might being seeing future machine damage or liability? Next time I head west on I-80 I'll stop and check it out! (if I don't miss the turn at that &amp;%@#* Arch again like I did coming down for State [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] ) And if you ever come this-a-way stop in at SVL and we can compare notes?
                            It's been awhile but I have much more to share!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowling mech ne:
                              Well maybe I'm wrong for doing it and trying it. I might pull the ones off for safety sake and put all new on but I would still put them on a hook for when one does go out just because they work great even in a pinch. Just thought I would pass it on didn't want to create any arguments over it.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldnt say you are wrong for trying new things. Its just that this spring assembly doesnt create very many problems.

Do us all a favor and invent a removable pit.

Ya know slide old one out, slide new one in.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X