Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor woes

guys i ran into one that took me waaaay too long to figure out. Now id like to see how fast it takes you. Scenario: '70 distributor. Stalling between the 2 and 4 pins... NOT stalling between 6 and 10. Acted like it was having trouble "DE-telescoping". No amount of clutch adjustments were helping, and yes, the belt was properly installed and cut to length. Good luck, winner gets a voucher for a free taco.
    The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Re: distributor woes

Heck.... I'll give a go...........
    Haven't worked on the 70's for 5 years now.....
    Look at the spring tentioned cam follower????
    Heck, I dont even remember all the names for all those parts.
    WE ARE NOW REALLY TWIN OAKS LANES.

Comment

I like tacos!!!!!!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
      WE ARE NOW REALLY TWIN OAKS LANES.

Comment

I have had this problem with all my Vantage thick dist. belts, despite what size they were cut to...Pinmonkey, is it in the chassis? ;-)
        My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

Too much linear spring tension.

Carriage rubbing on something.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey:
            is it in the chassis? ;-)
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hahaha, yes it is DEFINITELY in the chassis....lol
            The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

here, ill give you guys one more clue. Said distributor has a very slightly bent drive shaft and a brand new giant nylon gear....

is there anyone besides me who is a fiend for jack in the box tacos ( 2 for .99)?

Comment

Was the cam being some how pushed into the cam followers on the back side of the of the cam?
                To err is human but to really mess things up requires a college student.

Comment

i was originally going to guess a tacky underside of the distributor belt, easily remedied by easy-slide.

but given the clues ill guess because the 2 4 is where the outer most trace goes beneath the clutch, White cam was burred, warped, or just needed grease between cam and pinion.

Comment

you know , guys, i thought i had it figured out til tonite. Started screwing up again. It travels beautifully from the 6 to the 10, the most likely clue for clutch problems. It stalls halfway between the 2-4 and also makes a real slow travel from 7-8. Im going to tear the clutch apart tonite and look at it, maybe replace drive shaft, as its a little bent. Keep the theories coming.

Comment

As mentioned, definitely don't overlook the nylon camwheel and the followers... If the cam isn't running square, the followers or arms can drag on the cam ridges or bottom out on the cam wheel, causing hesitation and stall. Sticking followers or a dry/scored pivot can also cause weird operation.

The most common cause you have already mentioned... the clutch. You've already tried cleaning/adjusting it, now try replacing it with a completely different clutch, just to rule out the possibility of a warped plate or a bad nylon ring. I had a similar problem with a distributor... turned out a run of the nylon rings we got were slightly oversized and not uniform in thickness... they would bind in the steel plate, causing very erratic operation.
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

As G-Man said look into your nylon camwheel and follower. I had a problem with one of my dist. swaying really bad going from the 3 to 2,went through everything starting at the plumb (sp?),springs off no movement at the 1/5. Rebuild clutch,still swaying. Found the cam follower was cathing the ridges (spoke looking things on the cam) at the 3/2 causing a slight hesitation in the movement of the dist. causing the sway.
                        Lifes to short to stress on little things.

Comment

Make sure that your stop blade is not rubbing on the nylon ring on the back side of the inner clutch plate. If so than your dist is way out of adj. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Make sure the eccentric rollers are adjusted properly and the tube travelling through them is not bent, this can cause the problem you describe.

Comment

Make sure your Safty link isnt bent too...

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X