Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED IDEAS NOW

82-70'S WITH 5-BOARD CHASSIS. Last night (first night of league) had a machine that wouldnt run (#14). Pin light flickers, Back end motor contacts on chassis was chattering & arcing. Pulled chassis & replace with a known good one. Nothing happens, While checking all wiring I notice smoke coming from chassis. Transformer is smoking. After alot of searching I find out the breaker in the main panel is fry'd. I replace it with a good one. But still nothing at the machine. Today had a electrction come out as I noticed some other breakers didnt look good. He replaced 2 and left. 15 minutes later I smell smoke. Finally find that it's the transformer on lane (#13) smoking & it's not turned on. So far I have fry'd 3 transformers. Any & all help please
    Even a old dog can bury a bone

Re: NEED IDEAS NOW

Being that you have already changed the breakers, and it is not isolated to a single machine, I would hazard a guess that your problem is in building wiring. That might explain the fried breakers in the 1st place. possible the wire is old, or not sufficient for the amperage draw. Might need to call Mr. electrician back in to check that out.

Comment

I have 110 to the machines. I replaced all 3 transformers. But have not put them on any machines yet. I know part of the problem is that the power is comming into the building at the front. The main and all breakers are clear up front front too. Then they run to the back.

Comment

Sounds like possibly the neutral leg has dropped in your main panel and everything is trying to run through the ground wire. The transformers serve 2 purposes. It steps voltage down to a workable level, plus it isolates the high voltage from your side. Just a thought. Definately call an electrician. I agree with MR. JIMDORSIN.
        SGT
        U.S. Army/AVN
        Retired

Comment

Call the electrician! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
          I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Thanks guys
            I finally figured it out.

I cant believe I can be sooooooooo stupid.
            Must be post season stress

Comment

I had a neutral leg come loose once...fried the T-2 transformer in all the even machines...yuk!
              I never had a "10" ;..but ,one night after closing,..I did five " 2's" !

Comment

Originally posted by old-school-mechanic:
                Thanks guys
                I finally figured it out.

I cant believe I can be sooooooooo stupid.
                Must be post season stress
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well????? Do tell

Comment

3-phase comming into building. When I found the fry'd breaker the leg it run off of was fry'd too. The leg above it was clean, So I hooked the new breaker to it. When electrician come in. He did the same thing. They was all hooked to the wild leg of the 3-phase. It carry's about 190 volts. Dummy me, I just tryed a light tester. I didnt use a meter to check. Electrician was a young guy, just started working for his dad. I did the meter soon after my last post. Knew right away what I did. (STUUUUPPIIDD)

Comment

That'll learn ya... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] That 'delta' leg of 3-phase is something to stay away from if you're not familiar with triphase panels. Good thing it didn't do worse damage.

Anyway, glad ya found the problem...
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Being a spark myself, i would get it checked out, one thing a lot of places fail to do is balance the load, ie roughly the same current draw on each phase. When I started at my place all the machines were on one phase the lighting on another, totally different loads. Lot better now.
                      How old is the wiring and when did you last have a proper test and inspection.

kev
                      If Wile E coyote has enough money to by all that Acme crap why doesnt he buy his dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by LaRue:
                        the neutral leg has dropped in your main panel
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bingo.
                        Late, but what the he-double-hockey-sticks.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                        Working...
                        X