Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dist. hesitate to 7 and/or 10

I have a distributor who hesitates when moving to the 7 and 10 position. I have changed the dist.belt, clutchplate and checked all bearings and lubrications. By thightening the spring on the clutch i got it to move properly to the 10th but it still hesitates before the 7nth. It has no problems between the 2 and 4 either. Any ideas?
    What gets broken must get fixed! By me....

Re: Dist. hesitate to 7 and/or 10

Frode, Check your dist drive shaft. You may have a worn out u-joint, balls at end of drive shaft may be worn, also check the drive shaft housing on B.E. motor.

If your linear spring is stretched too far you may have too much foreward tension. This will cause hesitation. Your clutch tension should never go beyond 1 full turn. I have also found some dist belts will cause stalling in these areas. Are you running a thich belt? If so try a belt from another machine.

One more thing, make sure you cut your belts to the proper length.

Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Clutch Plate has most of the common ones covered...

Make sure the distributor isn't very slightly rubbing against the wheel at the corners... that causes bounce and hesitation, too.

Also check the nylon camwheel and followers... make sure that when the dist. is at the corners, the followers are riding fully on the camwheel track.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Look at your {White) index cam, watch the inside cam followers to see if they are catching a spoke as it is traveling. If so, shim accordingly.
        Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Along with the above suggestions, check to ensure that the safety link spring is not rubbing against the distributor support weldment. If so, also shim that accordingly.
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

take the belt and linear spring off and make sure the carriage slides freely, also make sure none of your white nylon belt pulley bearings are stiff causing it to pull the dizzy back or push it forward

if nothing posted cures it, tell us
            Want your old pins collecting anywhere in the UK? email me on jezsmith@aol.com

Comment

Another quick one to check:
              The Dist. drive shaft bottoming out on the dist drive housing.

Comment

Originally posted by V/E Jack:
                Another quick one to check:
                The Dist. drive shaft bottoming out on the dist drive housing.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Probably not as it's at the 4-7 where the drive rod is furthest away from bottoming out. Closest area to bottoming out is the 1-5 positions.
                "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Another thing to try is to simply clean the eccentric tubes look for burrs. Apply a light film of oil.
                  Check eccentric adjustments. A very slight adjustment may make all the difference.
                  I would try Holding the eccentrics one at a time and move the carrage tubes back &amp; fourth. If you can't hold the two top ones from turning or you cant turn the eccentrics when holding the carrage tubes in place they are more than likly to tight.
                  Make sure the Carrage tubes are running parallel with the trip arm.
                  I also would check to see if the Distributer stalls in these positions with out pins - Tripping it by hand. Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck, Kevin

Comment

-U-joint
                    -Dist rubbing against pinwheel
                    -something rubbing between front half of dist and rear when dist retracts.
                    -safety link rod end

Comment

This may open up a whole different discusion, but I noticed that Kevin said to oil carriage tubes. I keep mine as dry as possible, I mean thats why the rollers are made of nylon.

What do you guys/gals do. Oil or No Oil???

Comment

Too much tension on the eccentric rollers and not enough on the drive clutch.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch Plate:
                          This may open up a whole different discusion, but I noticed that Kevin said to oil carriage tubes. I keep mine as dry as possible, I mean thats why the rollers are made of nylon.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No grease or oil here. The grease just dries up and causes binds. I only lube bushings, and bearings on the distributor. So far no problems.

I also replace all tubes that have any dents. They tend to create problems.

Mike
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MCSS:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Clutch Plate:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No grease or oil here. The grease just dries up and causes binds. I only lube bushings, and bearings on the distributor. So far no problems.

I also replace all tubes that have any dents. They tend to create problems.

Mike
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">MCSS, you are so right. Those thin little dents in carriage tubes can cause a lot of headaches. Its amazing that nylon can do that to the tubes. It takes years but eventually it will happen.

On another note I had about 10 distributors with the metal style concentric roller (the one that grounds machine) All they were doing was grinding bottom of tube down and there were shavings all over the place. I took the nylon concentric and ground it down to the size of the metal ones and it works great. They dont even sell the flat nylon roller anymore. I havent had a problem with scoring.

Comment

MCSS, you are so right. Those thin little dents in carriage tubes can cause a lot of headaches. Its amazing that nylon can do that to the tubes. It takes years but eventually it will happen.

I was told that the depressions in the tubes were caused by dust getting on the tubes, and then being ground against it by the rollers, kind of like miniature files or sandpaper scraping at it year after year.
                              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X