Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle problem

I have a lane that will only occasionally not shuttle the 9 pin, and just the 9 pin. The shuttle looks okay, the wings look okay, nothing for the pin to hang up on in the bins. I moved the shuttle forward, that didn't help. I moved the rear shuttle spring, that didn't help. I tried to adjust the table cams to stop the table at 355, so the shuttle bolts wont catch on the pincups. I don't know if that worked. Any other tips?
    My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Re: Shuttle problem

We occasionally have this problem also but it is usually the result of a pile up, but sometimes there aren't any and it does this. I also have a problem with the pins not even setting on the deck. Lane five has an issue of the pins going down in the table but not setting. It isn't a real problem (yet) so we just leave it alone.

Comment

How intermitant is the problem... and have you seen it happen? does dizzy swing well from 10??
      Why yes, we wax them everyday!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey:
        I have a lane that will only occasionally not shuttle the 9 pin, and just the 9 pin. The shuttle looks okay, the wings look okay, nothing for the pin to hang up on in the bins. I moved the shuttle forward, that didn't help. I moved the rear shuttle spring, that didn't help. I tried to adjust the table cams to stop the table at 355, so the shuttle bolts wont catch on the pincups. I don't know if that worked. Any other tips?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Smokey, have you changed your shuttle pin holders with in the last 6 monthes?
        I had the same problem and it turned out to be the pin holder getting rubbery where the pin sits. Try moving the shuttle foreward by hand slowly. See if the 9 pin moves foreward with the shuttle or stays put like it should. If the pin moves than you have a bad pin holder.

Comment

Smokey,

If that lane has a bin strap at the #9 (It should. I think we had them all done by the time I left), remove it. If the bin strap is holding the shuttle tubes closer together (probably the case) this should open it up just enough to allow the pin to shuttle.

I have a couple machines that I had to remove the strap at the #9. I think it's because the BS lever tends to push the pin forward, causing the shuttle to have to travel farther to shuttle the #9 than it needs to for all the others.

If I moved the shuttle far enough forward to consistently shuttle the #9, without removing the strap, it would occasionally double shuttle somewhere else.

Comment

The only time I've seen this happen, the shuttle rod was coming apart where the long tube screws onto the threaded rod.

Pete

Comment

Sounds like you may need to rebuild the shuttle operating rod. It may have a slight bind. File down any rough edges on the rod so it slides in the tube without binding. Then lube with grease.

I also replace the sping at this time.

Mike
              Mike

Comment

The shuttle drive rod has a compression springmwhich must be 6 inches when not under compression. these springs close up and if it ends up nearer 5 1/2 inches rthe shuttle becomes soft.To check test before taking shuttle drive rod assembly off completely. Empty bin and push shuttle forwards with yourhands. if it feels soft to push in and there is not a lot of resistance,clean and check shuttle drive assembly.
                Good luck.
                Laurie.
                Scotland.

Comment

that just happened to me a few days ago. the solution for me was that the cup was out of adjustment hitting the shuttle. is the shuttle too low? tubes look bent? hope you figure it out.
                  - Jason

Comment

I've seen this happen where there is too much play in the bin (pin guide or rubber mounts, usually). The butt of the pin hops up and leans against the pin guide. If the shuttle doesn't jog it loose, it's left hanging there (the shuttle usually makes it worse, as it pushes the pin toward the guide when dropping pins. The pin usually drops in on the shuttle's return swing, but by that time it's too late... the bin has already 'closed' so the pin can't fall through.

We shimmed the fronts of our distributor mount yokes up about 1/4" so there is more clearance between the pin guides on the distributor and the bin, then lowered the trip guides so they are nearly level to the belt. The pins feed off a lot smoother like that... It cleared up a lot of the feed and 'hanging' problems.
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

what dutch said, either spread the shuttle pin holders, or drill new holes, and scoot pinholders for 9 pin forward

Comment

I've slotted the pin holder holes before. Usually it's more trouble than it's worth but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Hey Smokey! Have you tried any of these yet?

Comment

I've been off the last couple o' days, so I haven't tried anything yet. The problem usually happens twice a day, back to back, then the machine works fine. I've had to camera on it, but haven't found anything definative. Thanks for all the tips guys and gals, I'll let you know.
                          My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSS:
                            Sounds like you may need to rebuild the shuttle operating rod. It may have a slight bind. File down any rough edges on the rod so it slides in the tube without binding. Then lube with grease.

I also replace the sping at this time.

Mike
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just replace the rod at the time of disassembly.

JK

Comment

Stahl's pinspotter school says to remove the key from the shuttle cam and move the cam towards the lane (forward) about 1/2 of the width of the keyway to shuttle the pins a bit sooner. This enables the pin holders to return a bit sooner. It also helps to make the table shaft stronger because when you tighten the cam extremely tight with the key removed you are clamping over half of the void. Tom Stahl says the cam will not move and makes for a faster shuttle.
                              Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X