Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one for you

I have a 70 that the sweep wont work. If you hit the button on the chassis to operate sweep the motor hums. I can do the same thing with the micro switch on the cam and the reverse sweep on the control panel in the back same thing humming motor. I have check the c1 plug nothing seems to be wrong. I have changed the motor and chassis, same problem. I have also took the table plug and plugged it into the sweep motor and then the sweep will run, so I know the motor is ok. I have looked at the plug that goes into the motor, it wooks ok. I have checked everything obvious and cant figure it out.

Any Ideas???

Thanks

Re: Another one for you

check for a blown capacitor (CSM1, CSM2) inside the wireway

Comment

First things first... check the 'S' starting caps... sounds like a blown, bridged, or dried-up capacitor. Have a look and see if one of the caps hasn't "bled out" it's electrolyte into the front wireway... that's usually what happens. If they short internally, they usually go off like an M80... it would be pretty noticeable.

Also check the ceramic resistors in that area to make sure they aren't cracked, burnt looking, or shorted.

Since the motor runs when the table plug is connected, the motor and it's plug wiring is probably OK... but you're running it off of the table caps at that point, not the sweep circuit.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Also check the wires inside the sweep motor cable at both ends with a meter and visually. If this idea and all the other posts don't cure it, check the sweep run and/or sweep reverse switches.

Comment

Do you still use centrifigal switches/mechanisms, or has someone converted to potentials?? long shot, as they arent commen yet.

Comment

A wire disconnected from the sweep reverse switch may be the culprit, or one of the terminal tabs on that switch may be loose.
            As far as capacitors go, I always replace both sweep cap's when in doubt, then bench test them later for reuse. They're not too expensive.

Comment

Bad sweep reverse switch.

Comment

Check to see if you had a POS on the stop sheet just before the lane quit working.

Comment

I had a motor wire come off in the front wireway one time that had me scratching my head for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jandlcox:
                    I have looked at the plug that goes into the motor, it wooks ok.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mr. Fudd, did you ever catch dat wascawy wabbit? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

jandlcox,

When you looked at the motor plug did you open it up? I once had an intermittent problem like yours. Opened up the plug and found the neutral wire broke but barely making contact.

Many great suggestions…My first instinct would be to check the capacitors. I prefer using the old school ohm method of an analog meter vs digital.

I’ve had capacitors that passed the digital readings test, but would show weakness when using an analog meter. It’s a lot easier (and more accurate) to see the charge and discharge rate from a needle than a bunch of numbers flying past you in different increments since digital has to “think”.

Triac

Comment

Check the plug carefully and also check that there is nothing lying in the trunking across the terminal strip.I am sure the problem lies in the power cable at one end or the other.Also check chassis sweep contactor, high voltage side.there is obviously a signal getting to the motor if it hums but maybe a bad neutral or ground.
                      Good luck.
                      Laurie.Scotland

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. It was the ground wire from the sweep plug fraid in the wireway.

Thanks again

Comment

I'd be sure to check all the other power wires to the sweep too. Anything even remotely looking like it got cooked (ie hardened insulation) should also be replaced.
                          -- Larry

Comment

I agree... usually if one of the wires' insulation cracked, the others are probably going to crack soon. Changing out anything that even looks like it's getting 'marginal' is good insurance against it failing during a packed-house league night (you know... the time that everything on the machine waits for to break )

We make it a policy that we do not 'patch' machine-side motor wiring as a permanent fix. Make it work to get you through the league, but then pull it out and replace it. I got a spool of the multiconductor SJO wire that the sweep uses, and some standard 3-wire SJO that the table has... there were some spare motor plugs down the back, so I made up 2 premade 'harnesses' for each motor (2 table, 2 sweep) that can be installed by simply putting the wire through the clamp and plugging them on to the correct terminals in the front wireway. The removed (damaged) harness is then rebuilt and returned to stock as a spare for the next time. It's simple enough that the cable can even be changed out during bowling with no real delay to the bowlers.
                            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Another thing to do is replace the short 16 gauge jumper wire that bridges the two common terminals 1A1 and 17 with one that's at least 14 gauge. I've seen a lot of these get hot (including a couple of fried ones) and cause trouble.
                              -- Larry

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X