Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paddle bumpers?

Noticed recenlty that in the manual where it talks about the LBS set up, it shows a picture of the LBS and paddle, where a bar runs across under the paddle ajoining to both machines. At each end of the bar is a rubber stop. On my machines there is no such bar or holes to attach such rubber stops.
    Does anyone use rubber stops helping reduce noise and wear? If so where and how do you attach them?

Another point about the paddle. In all of the machines I work on, the paddle hits the lift arm when it travels to the left hand ball door. Is this correct? If the lift arm is moved across to the ball door too much it catches and problems arrise.
    Is this what happens in all machines? Just curious.
    Bring me the freshest "Mean Green" known to man! Juice on!

Re: paddle bumpers?

Your rudder arm should not rub the lift arm lever. If the two components are rubbing you will be changing a bunch of broken rudder and lift arms in the near future.

Your lift arm assy needs to be pulled and reshimmed so that it is 3/8” (9.53mm) from the kick back.

With regards to the rubber bumper, there should be a hole just slightly above bounce board level towards the rear of the ball door ring. On a couple of my machines (that are slightly wider than the others), I’ve had to put a washer behind the bumper so that it can contact the rudder arm.

Triac

Comment

I checked out the manual to see what bar you were talking about. The bar in question does not go on the machine. It is part of a jig for illustrative purposes so that clear photos can be shot from multiple angles without anything else getting in the way.

To elaborate where that rubber bumper goes…the hole is in your kickback and located as described in my previous post.

Triac

Comment

Triac,

I thought he was talking about the 'hotdog'.

Alastair,

Once you get the rudder bumpers in they will probably stop the rudder before it has a chance to contact the lift arm. If not, you should do what Triac said. They'll wear thru & break at the least convenient times... I guaranty it.

Comment

Dutch,

At first, I too thought he was talking about the “hotdog”. Then I reread his post and some things weren’t making sense until I opened up the manual to see what he was talking about.

Alastair,

Just a tip…Make sure your lift assy is centered before taking measurements of the lift arm lever to the kickback. That way you will know how much to shim it to get it to 3/8” from the kickback.

If you decide to go by the book to calculate number of shims needed…Take your width measurement at the arm and not the back of the machine. Some kickbacks don’t always run parallel and you could be off few shims which could be critical.

One more thing…While you have the assy out, disassemble it and lube the snot out of it, since this is one area that often gets neglected.

Triac

Comment

Triac,
            do not have any "by the book" measurments to go by. Please could you post them on bowl tech?
            All our lift arms are centred correctly and shimmed forward to help oilly balls be lifted by the PBL due to the ever increasing amount of oil demanded on the lane by bowlers.
            ( mainly me [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] )

Comment

Alastair, Here you go:

Shims are actually washers with the dimensions of:
              13/32 x 13/16 x 1/16
              AMF Part # 948-767-132

Since you’re in Scotland, I will give the measurement in the metric system.

Measure the inside of your kickbacks.

Kickback Width (mm) – Number of washers needed for lever arm
              231.78 – 0
              234.95 – 1
              238.13 – 2
              241.30 – 3
              244.48 – 4
              247.65 – 5
              250.88 – 6
              254.00 – 7
              257.18 – 8
              260.35 – 9
              263.53 – 10
              266.70 – 11
              269.88 - 12

Good Luck,
              Triac

Comment

Alastair,

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page... Does your PBL’s have the ‘hotdog’ bracket? It is a flat piece of metal (with a bent ‘hotdog’ welded on top) that bolts the two ball door ring assy’s together at the rear.

Triac

Comment

Didn't at first understand your post, but after a look at the manual found the "hot dog" bracket, which we do have.

The "Nut plate Assembly" Which attaches both ball doors together.
                  (Honestly, try finding the part number for that of the CD-ROM! PS, Hope iv'e got the name correct!
                  [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] )

Thanks for the metric conversion.
                  But you forget, I and the airline engineers,( even though in UK) use A.F measurments. I.e american standard. All our tools in the back are in that format more or less.
                  God, my ruler only measures to the millemetre, not point (mm). Please post american conversions as well! Not just for me, but for the good of us all!

Comment

Alastair, Sorry about the mm assumption.

In regards to the ‘hotdog’ …this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it called that (cool description Dutch). I referred to the nut plate assy as a ‘hotdog’ since it is a pretty accurate description of the part in layman’s terms.

Kickback Width (inches) – Number of washers needed for lever arm
                    9 1/8 – 0
                    9 1/4 – 1
                    9 3/8 – 2
                    9 1/2 – 3
                    9 5/8 – 4
                    9 3/4 – 5
                    9 7/8 – 6
                    10 – 7
                    10 1/8 – 8
                    10 1/4 – 9
                    10 3/8 – 10
                    10 1/2 – 11
                    10 5/8 - 12

Also the number of washers needed for the ratchet drive wheel is just to add one washer to the measurements above. Example 10” = 8 washers for the ratchet assy.

Side note: You will need to double the count of washers since you will be shimming out in two spots inside the arm, but you probably already knew that.

Triac

Comment

Originally posted by triac:
                      In regards to the ‘hotdog’ …this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it called that (cool description Dutch). I referred to the nut plate assy as a ‘hotdog’ since it is a pretty accurate description of the part in layman’s terms.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Never knew (until now) that "hotdog" wasn't its real name. That's OK, when I 1st came to Bowl-Tech I had never heard of a "kidney". I always knew it as a "pin rail" or "pin guide rail". Haven't called it that for years 'cause "kidney" is a much better description.

Comment

Hi Alistair.
                        The hot dog is called the Rail Weldment and is only part number listed on installation papers.You have had a lot of good input re. the liftarm etc.only remember that you have to measure both at the lift arm and the ratchet drive.if your kickbacks splay then the measurement may require more or less washers to keep the arm equidistant from the kickback.The holes for the bumper washers in your machines may have to be drilled out to take the bumpers as , your machines were converted from old kicker system and the hole was smaller.
                        Good luck.

Comment

For those going from kicker to pbl, the hole for the bumper is the same. The newer bumpers are urethane, and for PBL, there is a "special washer" that spaces the bumper an 8th inch further in, allowing the PBL rudder arm to contact it before the lever arm. The 7/16 I.D. x 1/8" thick washer is "special" because it has a smaller O.D. This can be obtained from McMaster-Carr or other sources as an "arbor shim".

Comment

Originally posted by BowlEquip:
                            the hole for the bumper is the same.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All of them must not be. I had to drill mine out.

Comment

With the urithane door rings (especialy the red AMF ones) you wont need the washer for the bumper, as the urithane is easily twice (if not more) as thick as the metal door rings. Recently learned that the hard way...lol

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X