Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Shuttle problem

We are having a problem with one of our lanes. If the bins are full with a double set of pins, the 2,4 7 & 8 bins drop both sets of pins through.
    We have adjusted the shuttle rod, even changed it with another lane, Checked the height of the shuttle under the bins, Checked the distence from the back of the bins to the Shuttle, all are the correct distances.
    We even checked the Table to make sure it is set up correctly. The Bins and cups are all clean.

This may have alresdy been covered in the past, but does anyone have a solution to this problem.

Andy
    JMF Bowl

Re: Double Shuttle problem

Redrill the holes in the offending pinholders to allow them to sit more under the pins.

I drill them just so the last bolt toward the foul line is not used.

Comment

King has the fix.
      But I'm curious? Just the 2,4,7&8, what does your cup yoke look like on the 7 pin side. Table maybe right, bin assb'y maybe right, but something is still wrong for it start now. If its a broken yoke, you will be looking at more trouble.
      If its SIMS, its only a game.
      Just hit reset.

Comment

The 2,4,7,8, at the same time? thats quite strange to have 4 pins double shuttling. Forget adjusting the shuttle per the book. This is adjust it til it works. Sounds like shuttle is too far foreward.

Even if table is out of adjustment, it would be rare to have 4 pins fall thrugh at the same time.

Look at the machine next to the one giving you problems and see if there are any differences. Before you go drilling new holes just give the shuttle a good once over.

Comment

King is on it here. However do make sure your shuttle is adjusted properly, I dunno how old your machines are, but ours are going on 40 years old and every shuttle is different. The gauge for it only gives us a starting point, we just have to play with it back and forth til we find the right spot for it, where it shuttles all pins when they're up against the butt plates and does this without double shuttling. If ya can't find that magic range then listen to the King, he's got that name for a reason [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

Before you try King's modification, install bin straps all the way across the back 2 rows. The 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 should all have bin straps. This will do 2 things. 1) It will insure that the spacing between all shuttle tubes are equal, making your shuttle rod adjustment will be much easier. 2) It will keep the shuttle tubes from breaking. I haven't had a broken shuttle tube in over 10 yrs.

Comment

The machines are only about 7 years old, however they were in storage for about a year, this has caused slight rust on some areas, thankfully it`s not spreading.

I have just finished resetting the Shuttle and the table, this is about the 3rd time today using 2 mechanics. Having reset the pins right onto the pin spots, and checking the table height and making sure it is level, I have run the machines, they appear to be running with no problems, but time will tell.

Thank you guys, I`ll keep this post on file aand if it happens again i`ll try kings solution.

Andy
              JMF Bowl

Comment

I am with Mike on this one, the book is only a guide and a place to start. As long as the shuttle isn’t holding pins back, it is fine. I prefer my shuttle a bit farther back that AMF recommends, especially on older machines.

I usually use the box that contains (or in most cases contained) the counter. the bottom most part is shaped like an upside down 'L'

I center the shuttle tube to the lower corner of that box, it sounds weird trying to describe it, but you will see what I mean when you look at it.

Hope you don’t have to mess with it again though, good luck.

Paul

Comment

if you can bring the table closer to the shuttles that will elimante that problem if you need to compensate for adjustments lower the frontend assy and turn the clevis in to raise the table closer to the shuttles if you resort to that besure the cups dont hang up on the bottom of the shuttles.I had to do a few machines that way and it stopped that crap....when Amf designed these machines they didnt think about having to compensate for lane resurfacing the further the table is from the shuttles the more double feeds you will encounter... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                  DEFINITION OF MANAGER IN THE 21ST CENTURY: (ADULT BABYSITTER)

Comment

Actually they did think about a lane getting lower. That's why there's two jack screws on each side frame.

What they didn't do was make it easy. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
                    -- Larry

Comment

The shuttle is now just a bit wider than the AMF manual states, It ran all last night and all of today with no problems at all, not even a pileup on the distributor. However the problem seems to have moved to another lane which has never given problems before.
                      And all I wanted was a quiet shift, but thats never happened yet.

Comment

Hi Laurie here.several things to try and check.Dismantle shuttle drive and check the length of the compression spring. it must be 6" when not under compression.if it is 5 1/2" for example, there is not enough compression.Ensure shuttle drive is stripped down and cleaned and serviced and no grease as this causes a piston effect.To test how good a shuttle is .empty the bin and push on the rear of the shuttle.if it feels spongy then it needs attention.The shuttle drive is on the right of the machine as you look at it from the back, so this is the critical side.Adjust the shuttle as far back as possible that it does not hold on to a pin or double shuttle.The other really effective fix is to move the table back and then reset the yoke and respot the pins forward. this means that when the table is at zero the cups lie flatter under the bin. It took me a long time to work this out and i have told many people and it always works.Also finally ensure that the spring at the rear of the shuttle is approx 5 3/4" end to end. If it is about 7" give me a call.
                        Both you and Bert have my number.
                        Best wishes.
                        Laurie.
                        What a fabulous night you had for the Tattoo, i think it was one of the few dry ones this year.

Comment

Thanks Laurie,

We tried one of your previous fixes, you sent us regarding the Table setup`s. This seemed to work quite well.

The Tatoo was great but very cold, I was right at the back row of the stand, and the wind was quite cold. However I will be comming back next year.

We`ll be in touch soon we have something we want to ask of you.

I did`nt do quite as well as you did on the lane Maintenance Course but I managed to pass it!!

Regards
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by maister:
                            Hi Laurie here.several things to try and check.Dismantle shuttle drive and check the length of the compression spring. it must be 6" when not under compression.if it is 5 1/2" for example, there is not enough compression.Ensure shuttle drive is stripped down and cleaned and serviced and no grease as this causes a piston effect.To test how good a shuttle is .empty the bin and push on the rear of the shuttle.if it feels spongy then it needs attention.The shuttle drive is on the right of the machine as you look at it from the back, so this is the critical side.Adjust the shuttle as far back as possible that it does not hold on to a pin or double shuttle.The other really effective fix is to move the table back and then reset the yoke and respot the pins forward. this means that when the table is at zero the cups lie flatter under the bin. It took me a long time to work this out and i have told many people and it always works.Also finally ensure that the spring at the rear of the shuttle is approx 5 3/4" end to end. If it is about 7" give me a call.
                            Both you and Bert have my number.
                            Best wishes.
                            Laurie.
                            What a fabulous night you had for the Tattoo, i think it was one of the few dry ones this year.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't understand. In my opinion the shuttle should be "spongy"....this is what the spring is for.

Comment

"I don't understand. In my opinion the shuttle should be "spongy"....this is what the spring is for."

Laurie showed me this when he installed ball returns at my centre last year, he also showed me how to set the full table up 'his way' with the table pulled back etc... Since then we have had no double shuttles and none of our pins fall or wobble on spotting ever!

Since i have been using Laurie's methods my frames per stop have gone up no end.

Point is, he's always right!

James

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X