Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Relay

Here is a ? for you guys using the Potential Relays from Stahls for your combo motors more specifically with Westinghouse. I have converted 4 lanes over with the relays on the table and sweep. I have noticed that these motors tend to run alittle cooler compared to the original terminal boards. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
    Wang

Re: Potential Relay

It would not surprise me, no sparking or heat generation from the cent. switches. Have you noticed any sweep coast with the westinghouses?? In Vermont I converted all 36 lanes, had 3 I had to change back (sweep only) due to coast, moved b4 I had a chance to follow up on it.

Comment

I have no sweep coast with the relays.....and the stators do run cooler with the relays.....when the relay is going bad the stator will overheat and kick the klixon or coast excessively.

Comment

Problem comes in after some time when the relays have arc'd and their contacts finally weld together, just like the old start switches, but not as soon. When this happens, the start winding stays on while the run winding is on, causing gradual overheating due to conflicting resistance.
        They're still the best way to go in my book, but they do not work well at all with solid state contactors (Bowltronics), causing coasting.

A while back, I posted how I set my machines up. For those who missed it, and for the newer guys:

Both potential relays are located in the back end control box, with a single 7-conductor cable (couldn't get 6. . .one is a spare) going up the wire duct to the front end. As soon as we get an interlock or other coasting problem, or a no-start situation, just open the panel, swap the relays or replace the suspected one. The bowlers never see you or even know you fixed it. NO down time (well, maybe 20-30 seconds plus the time to get the relay out of stock). Also, NO exposed terminals or holes to drill in the front.

Comment

That sounds kewl, we put ours in the front just to the side of the caps. Takes a few more min's, but we can change ours from top.

My problem in Vermont was with brand new potentials, and I do not believe it was relay or motor related, was just curious. Never had the chance to follow up before I left, but I would guess that there was a bad wire somewhere, or maybe weak caps...

Dosent matter now...lol, I will never step foot into a (name withheld due to lack of lawyer cash) center again....

Comment

Is there someone that is using these relays on 220 Volts(if they excist)?
            So it goes.

Comment

Lamp, I would contact Granger, I am sure they have a 220 model available, I will try to remember to look it up tom at work, but we buy ours directly from Granger, and as I understand it, they are basicly washer'dryer relays. I will try to check.

Paul

Comment

Thank you.
                So it goes.

Comment

Equip......we have all relays ans Bowltronics ss contractors and I have no problems.......mine are all located in the wireways.

Comment

King: Just wondering: are your potentials #6X550 (Grainger #)? I was told that it was probably a timing problem, being that the "contactors" are so quick compared to the relays, and that the drop-out time isn't quick enough or too quick. I know there are many variations of the relay (6X549, etc), all of which pull in or drop out at different times. We're talking micro-seconds here. I can't think THAT fast!!

Comment

I got mine from Stahl's.

Comment

Bowl, just for hoots I converted one of the Granger potentials to a Stahls and compared them. If you look close at the side of the Stahls, you can see a faint remainant of a logo. It is GE. Cut all the tabls off (except one on stahls) and they are identical. I have been using them for almost 8 months now with no ill effects.

Lampie, I have one question?? Are you on 220 because you have 90's, or is it becasue you live on the wrong side of the planet (LOL...KIDDING)

I have found 2 possibilities for you, but I am no electrical expert, so you may want to consult someone about it. When I was researching, I did discover these relays are for changing start to run, (and back) in refirdgerator and airconditioning units, I was close with my theroy.

Granger Adjustable potential relay (130 - 390 V) part # 4MG77

The standard Potential that I think may work on 220 is 6x553. (222-235 pick up, 90-40 drop out) the problem is that it is 60 Htz.

I believe if you are in Europe (which I assume) that you are 50 Htz, so I dont know if it would work. I would bet cash $$ that any electrical suplier would have these, or similar, devices over there (if, in fact, you are in Europe) as they are simple airconditioning/freezer items.

Hope this helped, but I have a feeling it didnt...lol

good luck.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                          Dosent matter now...lol, I will never step foot into a (name withheld due to lack of lawyer cash) center again....
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bowl New England. Sue me for everything I own... and don't spend the entire 50 cents in one place [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

lol

Comment

if you look back to the topic i posted about retro-fitting motors with relays to aid braking, this costs about £2 a machine and has very impressive results, and if you use plug-in type relays, you can change the relay and be up and running again in 2 seconds flat if it starts to creep due to failed contacts
                              Want your old pins collecting anywhere in the UK? email me on jezsmith@aol.com

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X