Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C1 terminal wear

Have any of you guys made any changes or upgrades to the C1 plug? The ones I have are a constant problem burning up the male and female pins. The motors just seem to draw too much amperage for the pins. We do change the male and female every time we do one. Pictures are worth a thosand words. Thanks...

Re: C1 terminal wear

Yea, those are a pain. I haven't seen anyone do anything to improve that, but I have a few ideas. It would involve a lot of work, but would eliminate the burning. You can double up the BE pins by adding another to C1-46AA. That will help a lot. The back end is the biggest problem, well next to abuse... Which house are you at in Columbus?
    I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

We're using the regular AMP plugs and pins... one difference is that we don't just crimp the pins... we solder them. We also spray Deoxit-D5 on the pins every time they are unplugged. It seems to work... we have very few C1-related problems. The more secure and tight you can make the connection, the better... better contact = less heat from resistance = less connection failure.

You can never stop all the problems, but for the most part, I'd say we have to change about 5-6 pins a year, and I've only had to replace 3 plug bodies in 15 years. One because it actually burned up, and two because they were cracked (one had someone accidentally drop a sweep motor on it, the other cracked from age / wear and tear.)
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

DeoxIT D-5 RULES! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] THREE in 15 years?? G-man U da man....
        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

I have seen a vast mprovment in there longevity with the introduction of the gold pins. I also dont use the standard crimping method, I have an amp tool that had to be motified to work on the pins without breaking them. (machine a notch) It was given to me by my 1st head, and I have never seen one like it. It is a wratcheting crimper that holds the pin until you squeez, and it crimps and folds under both the barrel and the wire crimp....looks like a factory crimp when done correctly, but it took some practice. Ask Air and clutch, they have both seen it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by wb8yjf:
            DeoxIT D-5 RULES! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] THREE in 15 years?? G-man U da man....
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't take all the credit for it... the previous 'mech put a lot of work into the chassis and kept them in great working order, and we were lucky enough to have machines with pretty heavy wire in the chassis, which I believe carries the current better.

The biggest thing that the old mechanic drilled into me about the chassis was to frequently and regularly check the contactor pads and C1 connections to make sure they are not burned, worn, or carboned up. Worn / dirty connections don't pass current well, which means the motor will draw more to run. If the motor draws more current, it will heat up any weak connections even more. The contactor has enough "beef" that a little arcing won't do much... but if the C1 has marginal contacts, the overload will hit the weakest area and cause contacts to overheat or arc. You can pretty much write off the C1 if it's not caught quickly... once it burns through and gets a carbon tunnel built up, there's nothing that will correct it except replacing the plug body. If it's caught quickly, just replacing the scorched pin and correcting any bad contactor pads will take care of it.

What he said was definitely no BS... we've caught lots of little 'scorched pin' problems before they caused big C1 headaches. It has been a requirement of regular machine PM for as long as I can remember, and I believe it a big part of why we have a very low C1 failure rate.
            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

[img]<a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp" target="_blank">http://www.bowlaway.com/detox.bmp</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a>[/img]

DeoxIT ® Power Booster DN5 Spray, 5%, 163 g, non-flammable, non-drip and safe on plastics!

About $12Bucks [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

I Think Mine Came From Radio Shack :p
              If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

I haven’t touched a C-1 or C-2-A plug since I rebuilt all of them about 4 or 5 years ago. I made sure that all the spring clips, guide pins &amp; sockets, blocks, strain relief clamps &amp; the little protector brackets were all in place, tight &amp; doing their jobs. I replaced all wires that had been butt spliced (there were a lot) &amp; all pins &amp; sockets that showed even the slightest sign of pitting.

I used gold plated pins &amp; sockets in the C-1. They’re more expensive but WELL WORTH THE PRICE. I also took the time to split the BE power into 2 lines thru the C-1. (Chassis side: Using a high quality butt splice, connect 2 wires on 1 side of the butt splice. Crimp a GOLD pin on to each one &amp; crimp the other side of the butt splice to the current BE wire, making sure to cut off any heat damaged wire. Insert the 2 pins into C-1 45 &amp; 46 of the receptacle. Do the same to the plug using GOLD sockets)

Tips:

1) Use only gold plated pins &amp; sockets in the C-1. Nickel plated is OK for the low voltage of the C-2-A &amp; PM.
                2) If you don’t solder them on, spend the $$$ on the proper crimpers. Yes, they are expensive but just like the gold plated terminals; they’ll pay for themselves in the time saved. Never use the standard crimpers you use on insulated terminals. They just don’t work well enough.
                3) Never replace one side only. ALWAYS replace the pin AND socket at the same time. Even if it looks like you don’t need to.
                4) Make sure the spring clips are in place &amp; TIGHT. Vibration is a killer.

You can order pins, sockets, crimpers &amp; extraction tools from Newark Electronics .
                Gold plated pin: 96F7921
                Gold plated socket: 96F7140
                High quality butt splice for BE wires: 46F3622
                Order a catalog &amp; look for the other items on the same page as the pins &amp; sockets.

Comment

Good points, Dutch. Replacing both sides of a marginal connector is a definite. If you don't, it's kind of like putting a new tire on a bent rim... it's not going to last.

Proper Pin &amp; Plug PM Prevents Poor Performance(say that 3 times fast... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] ) on the C plugs... it saves a lot of headaches and wasted time replacing plug blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch:
                    (4) Make sure the spring clips are in place &amp; TIGHT. Vibration is a killer.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lock the chassis down. Dancing chassis's dont help the pins either.
                    Ex-Mech
                    The 45/70 Goverment is the only Goverment I trust

Comment

Dancing Chassis sounds like a cool band name. Or a good name for a country song.
                      The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Move the back end relay out of the chasse to the mangers box. That is what I did 5 years ago when I went through all my plugs took about 15 min. to do.
                        <span style="font-style: italic">TOD HILES </span>

Comment

Don't have C1 or C2a or A&amp;MC plugs anymore. Used colored coded and numbered butt connectors, less resistance, no corrosion, and the other mechs can't break the plugs They are forced to use their head and learn the chassis when a problem arises.

The customer can wait or come back and help fix the problem.

Makes for a better educated staff.
                          Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

For those of you who actually believe that, I have land in Alaska and Arizona for sale!

Make me an offer. I own acres and acres of government land.
                            Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Originally posted by Tod hiles:
                              Move the back end relay out of the chasse to the mangers box. That is what I did 5 years ago when I went through all my plugs took about 15 min. to do.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Directions?

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X