Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox oil

AMF recommends replacing gearbox oil every half a year or every 2500 hrs of pinspotter operation.

I never heard somebody follow up this recommendation... or am I wrong?

We replace our oil only once in 2years..

Re: gearbox oil

I dont even have a maint schedule to replace gear oil. Never had a problem.

Comment

I know that some of my gearboxes went over 15 years without an oil change. Never had a problem with it. Maybe I'm just lucky? I would think that twice a year is waaaay too often, and completely unneccesary. I believe the actual recommendation is once every 5 years, but I could be mistaken. If I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The speed the gearboxes run on 70's inst enough to wory about replacing the oil every 2 years...It isnt a jet airliner, lifes arent in the ballence..... 5 - 10 years, as long as it isnt sludgy, and the box dosent run rough, will suffice....Check it regulaly, if it is still clean, no sludge.....its doing its job.

Comment

Im in total agreement with everyone so far. I change the oil only when i happen to already be in the guts of the box fixing something, and then only if i have some laying around and it looks like it needs it. I use V280 i think, Vantage's replacement oil. No problems whatsoever. Unless you pour it on your pancakes. Then youre in deep doo-doo.
          The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Our former 'mech ran USED gear oil from tractor transmissions in our gearboxes... never had a problem. Not that I'd recommend it, but the fact remains, we've never had gears or shafts wear out in a he11 of a lot of years... I can't remember the last time a gearbox needed parts thrown at it other than seals (so much for Sohivis j-156, huh?). A couple years back, I flushed out all of them with kerosene and refilled them with new gear oil. Other than a couple of leaking distributor drive seals that had to be replaced (and even that doesn't happen often), still no problems. I checked them periodically for metal in the oil, foaming, or sludge... no problems so far. I'm a big fan of LUCAS gear oil treatment as well... I believe it helps a lot. I hear ROIL metal conditioner additive is another good one, but I've never tried it. Should be pretty decent... Jaguar uses it in their cars from what I've heard.
            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Bought Vantage Gearbox Fluid When I Changed The fluid out of ours, Had one just yesterday had the bearings go out, Rebuilt it, Redid the fluid, works like a dream, Before I started doing mechanic work at my center, the machines had been in service 17 years without an oil change, Not too sure it made much difference, But I'm sure it didn't hurt, Keep the good ones rollin.

Chappy

Comment

Originally posted by Chappy8270:
                Bought Vantage Gearbox Fluid When I Changed The fluid out of ours, Had one just yesterday had the bearings go out, Rebuilt it, Redid the fluid, works like a dream, Before I started doing mechanic work at my center, the machines had been in service 17 years without an oil change, Not too sure it made much difference, But I'm sure it didn't hurt, Keep the good ones rollin.

Chappy
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Chappy;??? Backend Motor Or Combo?
                If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.&quot; -W.C.Fields

Comment

Gearbox oil. We change every 5 years. However i would be reluctant to put back used oil when you have completed working on a gearbox.
                  What we have found that most gear oils damage (pitting) the 'bronze' gear. The reason this happens is that oils use phosphorus to stick to metal parts. Shell B320 gear-oil does not use phosphorus. it uses Borat E.P.which does not burn or damage the 'bronze' gear.

Don't work hard.....Work smart.

Comment

I always put new oil in when I take apart a gearbox. By allowing the oil to sit, go through a funnel, or otherwise be exposed to outside (of the gearbox) elements, you run the risk of comtaminants entering the oil that can cause problems. I just dont change it every 2 years. I do, however, check the oil at least once a year, and if I find any grit, metal, etc....in the little I do drain out, that box gets a flush at minimum, and an overhaul if necessary.

Comment

I saw that 6 month recommendation on newer AMF gearboxes. WOW! What a way to make money...tell the customer to use ONLY your oil, plus do it as often as possible!

Good quality, non-foaming oil will last and do its job at least 5 years. Old oil? Use it on your sickle-bar mower blades.

BTW: AMF's gear oil is excellent. So is their red lithium complex grease (Citgo).

Comment

Yes all correct, amf reccommend changing the oil for warranty purposes when NEW, and we all know about warranty claims. After that , mechanics use their common sense and know it is not neceesary to change, only check level, and as Jim Dorsin says, if you find any grit or metal, that is the time to check it out.
                        Maister.

Comment

Origonally posted by JimDorsin
                          The speed the gearboxes run on 70's inst enough to wory about replacing the oil every 2 years...It isnt a jet airliner, lifes arent in the ballence..... 5 - 10 years, as long as it isnt sludgy, and the box dosent run rough, will suffice....Check it regulaly, if it is still clean, no sludge.....its doing its job.

Do you change the oil in your car every 5 - 10 years?

Leakonlanes, Jim is right somewhat about overkill. The recommended 2500 hours is equivilant to once a year in a normal usage situation. If used for 12 hours a day that is 208 days for BE Motors.

Really it all depends on what type of oil you use and what the internal parts of the gearbox are made of.

In the Westys, there are bronse parts and if you use any gearbox oil with sulpher in it, the sulpher will eat away at the bronse or brass and shorten bearing life, causing premature rotor chatter whiuch compromises the bearing and the worm shaft and also leads to worm seal leaks and other gear wear. I use SAE 140, 600wgt. pure mineral gear oil. I get a five year service life out of this oil.

If you have the 90 upgrade or new motors, change the oil as recommended until the warranty is up then do whatever you choose.

Leakonlanes
                          Before weighing opinions from other mechanics,
                          do the research on the gearbox and the oil and make an educated desision. You can find the oil cheaper, any jobber will make it for you.
                          Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

By the way, I for one think that over 1700 RPM is fast enough to preform routine maintenance.

Our job is to protect, not neglect!
                            Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

I've seen it in the manual about 6 monthly oil changes. Being fortunate to drop on 20 lanes of brand new 90 XL's 13 months ago I haven't changed any oil as yet. I was going to go along with around 3 years unless any problems occur before that time.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X