Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got a fright tonight

was busy working away on a lane. doing the usual adjust. climb out power up cycle thru power down re adjust etc when all of a sudden the table decided it wanted to eat me. i know sometimes our t/mtrs do coast down after power off but not 5 mins later. so here i am, feeling like the meat in a sandwich, between the pins and the table. never want this to happen again so how would i go about fixing it equipment is : 8270 with original 5 board chassis.

Re: i got a fright tonight

Did you disconnect the powercables? I have never heard of that happening.
    SGT
    U.S. Army/AVN
    Retired

Comment

Sound like your gearbox is extremely loose or something is wrong inside. You might need to remove a shim or 2 to tighten up the gearbox. You don’t want it to tight, as this will stress the bearings.

If you’re not familiar with shimming you need to find a good gearbox and get a feel for the resistance when turning the rotor. Re-shim the loose gearboxes so that it has the same feel for resistance as the good one.

Triac

Comment

One other thing, make sure your table is stopping before zero. Should stop at 355. The easiest way to tell if it’s at 355 is to look at the plastic roller on the table drive. It should be about 5/8” from the actuating lever when the table is stopped. If the table is stopping at 355 and it starts to hiccup, then you most likely have a very loose gearbox.

Triac

Comment

all power was disconnected to the machine. taking a couple of days off feel like ive been hit by a frieght train. will check the gearbox and cam setting when i go back in. we also have one lane where once it turns off the table drops. dont know if this is the same or not. :S

Comment

Originally posted by 8270kiwi:
            all power was disconnected to the machine. taking a couple of days off feel like ive been hit by a frieght train. will check the gearbox and cam setting when i go back in. we also have one lane where once it turns off the table drops. dont know if this is the same or not. :S
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This sound like the same problem to me. Loose gearboxes can be used on sweeps, as the weight on sweeps is a lot less than tables. There are times that adjusting table higher than 355 degrees fixes the problem. Just make sure table spots pins.

Comment

first off. make sure talbes are stopping as close to 355 as possible. move the table cam cluster until the white nylon roller on the table drive assembly stops just before it goes under the little flag.

i forget which motors you have. if you have nationals. need to replace the 785-502-020 carbon brushes. if you have westinghouse need more shims. if you have franklin electrics (coors gestures his two fingers at kiwi's forehead. abdomen. left shoulder. right shoulder)

Comment

dude just start easy check the carbons in the motor they help with braking and well it is easier than the gear box to replace then if that fails which rarely does but then try the gear box

Comment

I would hazzard a guess that he has Westinghouse combos, as they are the most netorious for gear box related drift. If that is the case, he has no carbon brushes. National is the only AC motor I have ever heard of that has brushes. (DC motors require them for start-up)

If this is the case, the shim removal suggestion was right on the $$ (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by JimDorsin:
                    I would hazzard a guess that he has Westinghouse combos, as they are the most netorious for gear box related drift. If that is the case, he has no carbon brushes. National is the only AC motor I have ever heard of that has brushes. (DC motors require them for start-up)

If this is the case, the shim removal suggestion was right on the $$ (IMO)
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Paul, They are not needed for startup, they are a spring loaded brake.

Comment

In a DC motor? I was just talking to Dale from Brunz. on sat. He told me that they do develope a charge for start-up purposes. But, what do I know, could have been smoke...lol

I. Have. 1. Question. Am. I. Doing. Ok. With. The. Caps. and Periods.??? lol (kidding)

Comment

Nationals are AC motors, but the carbons act as a grounding pole for the rotor (the are attached directly to the metal internal structure of the motor), and as a mechanical resistance brake when the motor is stopped. Drifting is a notable result of worn carbons.
                        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

just so I dont sound like an idiot..... I was comparing nationals to DC motors, and pointing out the fact that they were the only AC motot that I have ever heard of that had brushes, and was under the impression that DC motors used the brushes to generate an electric field. I may be wrong, but i was did know that nat's were AC...lol

and then I was teasing Clutch, since he promised to come play black jack with me a long time ago, and still hasent shown!!

Comment

just so you guys know we are running GE motor and g/box combos

Comment

GE will truck on for 1000 years....but when they go, they go.... Gear box drift is also common in GE, I would start with the gearbox.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X