Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch plate bent - broken worm

How do pinchasers bend outer clutch plates and break the worm in a clutch assy. when they have a jam or a ball is stuck?

I have fixed machines for years and have never had this happen.

I know if the BE motor is ran backward it will bend the clutch plate.....

What to these people do?

Re: Clutch plate bent - broken worm

King...If they turn the motor backwards enough it will break the worm. I have seen new guys do this before. Why they run it backwards I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Meyers:
      King...If they turn the motor backwards enough it will break the worm. I have seen new guys do this before. Why they run it backwards I can't remember.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HOW they run it backwards is a better question... the BEM doesn't have a reversing switch like the sweep... and hand-turning it backwards is pretty much useless (no real reason to do it).

Once in a while you'll get a new (or careless old) mechanic that will put a RH gearhead on a motor set up for LH (or vice versa)... Doesn't take long to figure out what's wrong... The clutch on the distributor makes some neat pingy-poppy-crunchy noises as soon as it's powered up... if it continues for more than a few seconds, the clutch is junk... it bends it all to hell.

More likely, you get a pinnie who's mad because he has to jump on a machine more than once to fix a jam (and who wouldn't be mad... it cuts into the naptime)... some of them tend to take out their frustrations on the machine, using a pin as a beater.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:

Once in a while you'll get a new (or careless old) mechanic that will put a RH gearhead on a motor set up for LH (or vice versa)... Doesn't take long to figure out what's wrong... The clutch on the distributor makes some neat pingy-poppy-crunchy noises as soon as it's powered up
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard that noise a time or two [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

If you're really good... you can launch the clutch spring up to 3 machines over. At least that's my personal record.

I worked on 70's for over 20 years, and I've never bent or broken a clutch on a pin jam either? The only thing I can think of, is a pin jammed (wedged) between the back end motor and the pin wheel. If you're not careful there, you can do some damage to the distributor.

Comment

I have had many pinnies that cnat read the clearly printed labels on both the body of the motor and on the end bell stating even or odd, and still manage to put the wrong stator on, So my SOP was to always remove the drive shaft when changing a BE stator, takes an extra 35 seconds, but it is far less time than replacing a worm.

Jerry I have never seen someone bend a clutch plate or break a worm under normal operation/clearing jams, etc....almost sounds like they had to 'try' for those results.

Comment

Just the other day, I had a hard starter that I had to hand start. I pulled UP on the carpet drive belt intead of down for just an inch. THEN I turned it on...it started backwards.
            Killed it right away, avoiding clutch damage.
            Scratched my head for a second, then turned it on again and it went the right way. Go figure!!

Truth is, if you turn it fast enough in reverse by hand while turning on the power, it can run backwards. I learned this years ago with a window fan.

I think it might indicate a weak start capacitor.

Comment

Sometimes motors start to run the wrong way when they kick in and usually electric start or capacitor is problem.If the worm is put in with OUT on the wrong side, then this puts pressure on the clutch outer plate and can put it out of shape, but put in a vice and gently closed it can be reformed.
              Maister.

Comment

If the pinchasers run the PBL backwards by hand to roll a ball to the bottom of the lift, this action will reverse the gearbox (while off) and they will indeed break the worm in the dist.
                Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

Not if the PBL has working clutches.
                  I think it's vandalism.
                  So it goes.

Comment

vandalism or ignorance

Comment

although one time the desk turned on a lane with no previuos problems and the be motor started in reverse. after repairing the clutch turned be motor back on and all was well to this day. strange.

Comment

Just the other day, I had a hard starter that I had to hand start. I pulled UP on the carpet drive belt intead of down for just an inch. THEN I turned it on...it started backwards.
                        Killed it right away, avoiding clutch damage.
                        Scratched my head for a second, then turned it on again and it went the right way. Go figure!!

This is the reason I could not remember, from my earlier post. That is exactly what someone did.

Comment

Haven't had this to happen on my 90's motors yet, but on the G.E. back-end motor for the 30's this has happened quite often (although the 30's distributor will run backwards with no problem). If the P.W. jams and over heats enough to kick the klixon, alot of times the motor will run backward when you restart it. Always thought it was the excess heat distorting the magnetic field around the winding. This also could happen with a S.S. start switch over heating. We usually turn the motor off, firmly hold the carpet drive belt, and give it a downward tug as we turn the motor on (have to be careful doing this). After running in the right direction and cooling down, we have no more trouble.

Comment

Lampie..sorry to correct you, but the clutches working correctly WILL allow you to reverse the gearbox manually by hand turning the ball lift in reverse. Give it a try for yourself...watch the pinwheel, but don't go too far. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Oops, you are right, my bad, I was thinking upside down or so.. Hit me.
                              Stalker for President and you for his vice v. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                              So it goes.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X