Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball sticking problem

We have a lane were a ball keeps getting hung up on. My proprieter says he thinks the ball is sticking between the edge of the pit carpet and the ball exit..

Re: ball sticking problem

Good start, but we're going to need a bit more info on it than that...

What kind of ball lift? Kicker lifts are more susceptible to this type of problem than Humpbacks or PBLs.

Is the ball actually sitting in the exit and won't go in, or is it sitting slightly behind the ball exit and against the cushion?

If it's being viewed from the front, a ball can look like it's not going out the exit, but it's actually rolling against the tailplank due to a wider-than-normal gap between the front roller and the plank.

Let us know, and welcome to Bowltech [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

G
    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

it is sitting in the ball exit

Comment

and we have kicker system

Comment

Get rid of the kickers.......Humpbacks work great for us. Good luck
          I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I was ever was. http://www.bowltech.com/forums/impor...2012/smile.gif

Comment

OK, beyond the obvious expenditure to get rid of them...

The bounceplate has a groove in it at the ball exit that allows the ball to divot the carpet slightly so it can exit. If you have a new, stiff carpet, or if the carpet tension is high, the ball may actually be floating on the carpet, and not pushing it down enough to let it out. This has always been a problem with 6, 8, and 10lb balls in kicker lifts. Also, if the bouce plate bracket on the ball door side is broken, it can allow the bounceplate to sag down too far, and the ball will ride against the bottom edge of the ball exit ring, and will not exit. Easy way to check this is to step down on the bounceplate at the ball door. If it sags noticeably, the bracket need to be replaced.

The filler plate between the kickers may have loosened and slid over towards the machine with the sticking problem, and it is pinching the ball enough that it won't let it contact the kicker wheel to pull it into the exit. Make sure the filler is tight and centered between the kickers. A telltale sign that this may have happened is a loud squeal or squeak-squeak-squeak from the kicker shaft running against the rubber bumper in the filler.

Also, if that bumper is missing, it will allow the kicker to drop down too far and keep the ball from exiting. Make sure both kicker bumpers are in the filler plate, and that they're not worn down. Also, make sure there is a rubber kicker bumper, and not a bin bumper in the filler plate. Kicker bumpers are almost twice as thick as a bin bumper. Using one in place of the other can cause exit problems.

The ball exit rings may be loose or cracked, check that they are tight and in alignment.

The kicker drive tension may be too high, and it's not allowing the kicker to pull back far enough to get a pinch on the ball to pul it in. If you are running double springs on the kicker drive arm (as some houses do), pull one spring off and see if the ball pulls in and exits. If it does, try using one shortened kicker spring in place of two stock ones (cut the hook and one loop off the spring, then bend up the next loop to re-form a hook).

The aluminum exit "saddle" may have come loose, or the end of the rubber ramp may be worn off to the point that the ball isn't contacting it. Check the edge of the ramp to make sure it's square and not torn off.

In a pinch, we've slightly modified a couple of our bounce plates on problem machines to elevate the far edge (away from the ball exit) to pitch it up a little higher... one or two washers on the bracket studs is usually enough.

Hope that helps....
            <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Originally posted by Joe:
              Get rid of the kickers.......Humpbacks work great for us. Good luck
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Come on Joe, lets help him with the equipment he has.

Comment

Good G Man143 the newer carpets are much too stiff and balls just roll at the ball door and rotate without entering even with pbl, lifting the bounce plate to try to increase the run still does not help with some of the supposedly called premium or top quality carpets.your other advise and info. is spot on.
                Good.
                Maister

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                Working...
                X