Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backend motor stater cleaning

Hello,

Yesterday I started a new task. I decided to clean out my back end motor stators. What a job! How are you guys doing this? I used a can of electrical spray cleaner. Seemed to work OK but you need a lot to do the job. Do you guys put these in a parts washer or have a way to “soak” them? Just curious what others are doing.

Thanks for the help
    Pat

Re: backend motor stater cleaning

Yikes! Why?
    Just give 'em a good blow-out with the hose once in a while. Anything more isn't necessary and maybe dangerous!

Comment

yes a good external clean and check and oil check and if no obvious problems, no need to do anything till it fails.
      Maister

Comment

At the previous center I worked at we would clean the coils with Zep cleaner, we had a 50 gallon barrel and by using a air nozzle with a siphon attachment were able to spray with a fair amount of pressure. Here with my limited shop and backend space I am making due with two different aerosol cans purchased at Grainger, one is a cleaner, less than $7 a can and the quick drying contact cleaner to protect the coils and magnets afterwards. I will say that I have found this combination, as well as, cleaning the rotor at the same time to severly quiet down any noise coming from the motor.

Comment

Hey guys, if they haven't been done for years, the stators are mostlikely filled with dirt and grease from neglect.

I would pull each one and clean it thoroughly on the bench. Electrical solvent, soft to medium nylon brush and a good blow with 40-60 lbs of air.

Inspect, burnish the contacts on the terminal board, put back on.

You will feel so much better that you did a complete job instead of just a shot of air. Your stators will run cooler too. I would pull my stators twice a year anyway just to inspect and lub the cent mech.

Make sure that you log your work and soon you will get into a yearly maintenance rythum.

Remember, our job is to protect, not neglect!
          Pinspotters do not break down when they are not running!

Comment

I put mine in the solvent tank.

It has not hurt them yet.

They need a thorough washing to remove all the accumulated grease and durt.

Comment

Right on Mike my problem was they were running hot. There is a lot of build up. What type of electrical solvent are you talking about? I have only seen the arisol spray cans. This works but there must be something better.
              Pat

Comment

For a quick 'touch up' cleaning after servicing a motor heat, I hit it with ECG electrical parts cleaner/degreaser. Good stuff, cuts oil & grease, and carries the dust and black gunk right out of the motor, then dries away quickly w/ no residue. Doesn't hurt the winding lacquer or plastic parts... and it doesn't STINK... it actually smells fairly pleasant compared to some motor cleaners I've used that smell like a bag of organic fertilizer.
                <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 82/70 king:
                    I put mine in the solvent tank.

It has not hurt them yet.

They need a thorough washing to remove all the accumulated grease and durt.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Right on Jerry,
                    We do the same. Since my solvent dip is flamable we also dunk the winding in ZEP SPREE after cleaning in solvent tank. Spree is a water based cleaner that has ammonia in it. This removes any solvent residue and the ammonia makes the stator look like new, (also great for aluminum). In the summer we set the unit out in the hot sun a couple of hours to remove all the moisture. Winter we use a halogen lamp for drying. Have been doing this procedure for several years and haven't had a melt down yet.

Comment

I wish I could come up with the $$$ to pick up an ultrasonic cleaner big enough to submerge a stator and rotor... There's a non-ammoniated cleaner and a rinse solution I use for cleaning clock gearing that works great. I wish I could get a motor in that stuff... our motors would look like new all the time. Takes off oil, grease, dirt, etc... and dries off without any residue.

Problem is, a cleaner like that costs quite a few clams that I haven't got...
                      <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

usually i only ever blow the stators out , but if there really nasty and won't clean up with the air, i take them home and put them in the dishwasher! if there really bad you might have to do them twice. then you put them in the oven at 425 for about 35-40 minutes! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] they come out looking like brand new.
                        if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

Originally posted by the old dirt man:
                          usually i only ever blow the stators out , but if there really nasty and won't clean up with the air, i take them home and put them in the dishwasher! if there really bad you might have to do them twice. then you put them in the oven at 425 for about 35-40 minutes! Turn lightly with a fork until crisp and golden brown. Dust lightly with onion powder and oregano and serve piping hot with a robust Italian herb and 30-weight gear oil marinara sauce...
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Garnish with a sprig of parsley, pour some some glasses of Chardonnay, and put out a tossed fresh field greens salad with raspberry vinagrette dressing... voi'la... dinner for four...

On next week's show, we'll show you how to make an easy, delicious dessert using backend motor gears and Lubriplate, topped with iron filings. See you then!

FIXED. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by TheGMan143:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by the old dirt man:
                            usually i only ever blow the stators out , but if there really nasty and won't clean up with the air, i take them home and put them in the dishwasher! if there really bad you might have to do them twice. then you put them in the oven at 425 for about 35-40 minutes! Turn lightly with a fork until crisp and golden brown. Dust lightly with onion powder and oregano and serve piping hot with a robust Italian herb and 30-weight gear oil marinara sauce...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Garnish with a sprig of parsley, pour some some glasses of Chardonnay, and put out a tossed fresh field greens salad with raspberry vinagrette dressing... voi'la... dinner for four...

On next week's show, we'll show you how to make an easy, delicious dessert using backend motor gears and Lubriplate, topped with iron filings. See you then!

FIXED. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Thanks G-Man [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] I think I just wet my pants [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

ok, ok. I guess you don't believe me! :p I have done 82/70 chassis in the dishwasher! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
                              many years ago I did 5850 and 6525 chassis in the dishwasher! the 4400 wouldn't fit in my dishwasher so i used the garden hose on it! :p
                              just make sure everything is dry before you power things up and you won't have any problems.
                              if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X