Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor go BOOM

Lane 37 has been acting up for a month now. First, the upper contact broke and took CSM2 with it, no big deal. Then two weeks later, another capacitor went on its own. Today,another one bit it and the sweep motor caught on fire. We have SS chassis with omega teks and expanders, national motors. We have been through the wire way, replaced the chassis and motor, and both capacitors. It doesn't seem to happen for a couple o' weeks at a time, then spoo everywhere. Getting to the head scratching point, and any tips I've overlooked would be helpful.

Humbly yours,

John
    My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Re: Capacitor go BOOM

Although you say you changed the chassis it looks like a bad contactor(upper and lower contacts both making contact) that is feeding 110V(115V for triac) directly to the capicitor.

Boom
    So it goes.

Comment

smokey make sure the resistors on the side of the capacitor holders arent touching each other that could cause that problem or maybe even 1 of them are broken on the inside.they have 3 terminals sticking off them and are round..good luck let us know your outcome!
      DEFINITION OF MANAGER IN THE 21ST CENTURY: (ADULT BABYSITTER)

Comment

Yea, if the motor tries running BOTH ways at the same time *BOM* goes the cap. If the contactor is sticking, replace it.
        I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

We haven't had a cap go nuclear in quite a while... I guess they're getting old and are too tired to detonate. Most of the time, they just leak out noxious gray funk all over the front wireway.
          <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

John,
            Have never had any experience with National motors. Here is my story wirh G.E. motors on 30's.
            If you are using the old Allen Bradley contactors, check the screw in the bottom moveable contact. If it is loose or missing, upper and lower contacts are making contact and the motor is trying to run and stop at the same time.
            With this senario we have had the capacitors explode, blowing our loose fitting cover off the motor and fill a four machine area with black plastic and white confetti.

Is this a shorting of the capacitors across the main winding????

Comment

I went through it myself today, and verified Smokie missed nothing. I put a chassis with bowltronics SS contactor replacments on, and moved the orignal chassis to lane 36. Discharge resistors are not touching anything. No metal fragments on the wireway, but I tested the motor (just for kicks) on another lane (just on catwalk) and it ran with and wouldent go off, sparky sparky, and there is no continuity in the klixon. My theory (for now) is that the last time this happened, 2 wires may have melted a little insulation, and the motor was getting power pastt he klixon. Needless to say, all wires were one solid glob of gunk by the time I got to disassemble the stator. I think the orignal problem led to dammage in the motor, and the motor actualy caused it this time. Any more ideal, dont hesitate to chime in.

Paul

Comment

Good job, Paul. You have morew time on ur hands than I do... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

One could look at the sweep reverse run switch. It is a 2 pole switch. If one of the poles stick closed, the motor tries to run both ways.

Comment

We had a similar problem once. The problem disappeared when we changed all 4 capacitiors, just on the off chance there was a wiring problem somewhere.

What we later found out was the sticker's above the capacitiors were in the wrong places. When we were actually changing the 2 sweep capacitiors, we were changing 1 sweep and 1 table capacitor.

When we tested the capacitors in the machine they all appeared ok. But the problem never returned, once all 4 had been changed.

Strange but true !

Comment

Hey Smokey

I would seriously consider that while in your work area that you wear a good quality hard hat (football helmit with full face guard might be better). Asbestes fire suit with kevlar gloves. Don't forget the steel toed work boots. Skin grafts are painfull.

Good Luck
                      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by hmmmm:
                        We had a similar problem once. The problem disappeared when we changed all 4 capacitiors, just on the off chance there was a wiring problem somewhere.

What we later found out was the sticker's above the capacitiors were in the wrong places. When we were actually changing the 2 sweep capacitiors, we were changing 1 sweep and 1 table capacitor.

When we tested the capacitors in the machine they all appeared ok. But the problem never returned, once all 4 had been changed.

Strange but true !
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The place I do service work has the caps on lane 1 mis-labeled.....it caused me some major headaches.

DO NOT TRUST THE CAP LABELS.

Comment

check the motor heads and all the wiring like it was said the resistors might be touching on the side of the capacitor but something is grounded or you are putting the wrong capacitors in check it out and let me know

Comment

Originally posted by GPS:
                            Hey Smokey

I would seriously consider that while in your work area that you wear a good quality hard hat (football helmit with full face guard might be better). Asbestes fire suit with kevlar gloves. Don't forget the steel toed work boots. Skin grafts are painfull.

Good Luck
                            Mike
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ding fries are done [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, the caps are not mislabeled, and have been replaced twice now. The origonal problem a month ago was the allen bradley went bad. Since then, perhaps this lane has a demon. The power of christ compells it, to STOP blowing capacitors [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
                            My mom always said there was one crazy person on every bus,... but I could never find him.

Comment

If it's not the contactor clean your CA1 plug, a carbon? layer can build up there causing a unwanted connection.
                              So it goes.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X