Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional wood or universal cushion..?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional wood or universal cushion..?

Hello members,

I'm curious about the lifetime between the wooden and plastic cushions.
    Also like to hear your experiences with them, let me now…

Re: Traditional wood or universal cushion..?

SONICZZ
    I HAVE USED BOTH TYPES OF PLANKS. THE UNIVERSAL PLANK THE PROBLEMS THAT YOU WILL SEE IS.
    1. THE PLASTIC STRIP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PLANK WILL BREAK OFF
    2. THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE STRIP TO THE PLANK WILL BREAK OR COME OUT IF NOT LOC-TITE IS NOT USED
    3. I HAVE HAD THE PLANK BREAK IN HALF AT THE CENTER ALLOWING THE BALL TO ENTER THE PINWHEEL. (CAN BE A VERY EXPENSE PROBLEM WITH TODAYS BALLS AND THE PRICE OF THEM)
    4. I HAVE SEEN THE PLANKS BOW IN THE CENTER OF THEM HANGING THE LITE BALLS AT THE CUSHION.

I HAVE WOOD IN ONE CENTER I SERVICE THAT ARE 20-25 YEARS OLD. THE PLASTIC PLANKS I USED DIDN'T LAST 10 YEARS.

Comment

I like the plastic ones.

Comment

I have found that the good old fashion maple, (I think they are maple) are the best. The wood laminated ones I have used and have not had one break YET. They are not guaranteed. I do not use stover nuts. I use grade 8 split locks and regular grade 8 nuts so they can be tightened when needed. I also completely agree with the above posting by PINHEADS.
        Yeah but, We've always done it that way.

Comment

We use the Vantage Universal ones here with great results. No problems as described above.
          The wood planks are not made like they used to be and tend to delaminate or separate rather quickly. I ordered 2 from AMF a few years ago and they are already starting to separate (yes the assembly is put together correctly).
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Pinheads nailed this one. The other problem I had with urethane planks is that they would bow when hit by a ball and act like a slingshot and shoot the ball into the back of pindeck. That should only happen is shock is bad.

Stick with original setup.

Comment

Originals for us... We don't have problems with them, as a matter of fact off hand I can't remember the last time I pulled a cushion. Every house and person is different, see what works best for you, but for me original is the way to go
              All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

I dont like any of em. Those one peice urethane jobs with the bolt holes i kept losing corners on. Then balls would idle on it. The original sandwich cushion is what i use the most, but they wear like a SOB and the wood splits. What we need are cushions made of titanium, covered in a sheet of flat pvc or urethane, like panels, but a wee bit softer. Cushion repair makes my brain bleed. Even worse is the hole that gets wallered out on the gearbox mounting bracket, where the pins for the shock mounts go. To hell with cushions in all forms. Im going to duct tape a giant throw-pillow on a cushion and see what happens.
                The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it which the merely improbable lacks.

Comment

Original wood all the way!
                  Formerly known as Cyclone Lanes

Comment

wood
                    SGT
                    U.S. Army/AVN
                    Retired

Comment

for the Universal, just cut a flew slits in the white strip which will cut down on the flexing and snapping.

perhaps it was coincidence, but the first few Universals i installed, the welds snapped, which made me think, the Universal/Plastic is flexing causing the weld arms to flex. and all the Universals are slightly Bowed in the middle from ball impacts. then i ended up having to use one of the Universals in an emergency, then i re-used another one. and they've been fine since.

Im still partial to Wood tho.

Comment

new amf ones are marine plywood so probably will not last as long as the maple ones.i am not keen on the plastic ones, i feel they flex when hit, putting pressure on the centre.
                        maister

Comment

Wood is GOOD.
                          We get 12 to 16 years from either type plank; however, the plastic ones give no warning before theyn break. With wood you either see the crack or start seeing splinters under the machine.

Comment

I still have some solid ash and red oak wood planks that I made in '82. Some of the chasers are younger than the planks.
                            "Gun control is the policy of tyrants"
                            Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT)

Comment

I like the heavy-duty wood planks... we get a lot of years of service out of them. I did find that to keep them longer, hit them with ZAR or Thompson's when you rebuild them. It seems that when the plank dries out and gets splintery, it also starts getting brittle. Keeping a little oil in the grain keeps the wood moist and a bit more flexible... it reduces splintering and snapping quite a bit.
                              <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X