Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My lane 8 tripping main breaker

Been happening now and again for over a year. Now it happens about once a night. It's not jammed up or anything, just during normal operation. Also I'm talking about the breaker for the main power coming in, not the one on the control panel on the machine. The counter people just reset it and can't remember how the machine was sitting. Anything come to mind?
    Charley
    82-70's SS Chassis Omega-Tek w/expanders
    2009 Qubica scoring 3QT's and 6 box.

Re: My lane 8 tripping main breaker

We've had problems like this here and there. In all cases for us, it was just a weak breaker, the breakers are quite old and they just start to go. If ya have a spare throw it on and work from there. In all cases when we replaced it all was fine, if not theres an intermittent high voltage problem somewhere along the lines
    All I want in life is to turn wrenches and climb around pinsetters/pinspotters again :/

Comment

rep is right I would replace the breaker it is most likey weak and tripping cause of age.I have had this happen and the braker is always at fault...
      DEFINITION OF MANAGER IN THE 21ST CENTURY: (ADULT BABYSITTER)

Comment

If it's just one machine doing it, it could just be a weak breaker... the next question you have to ask is, what weakened it?

Take a look at your RS plug and wiring from the machine all the way back to the breaker panel if possible... also check to make sure that someone didn't "rob power" off of lane 8's breaker to run a 'small' appliance (like the 3000 watt pizza oven). Also make sure if there are any splices or connections in the line, that none of them are corroded or loose.

Next look at the male (machine) side of the RS plug and make sure there are no frayed wires or loose connections.

Next stop, the C1 plug on the chassis... look for blackened, carboned-up pins or gray/white chalky-looking corroded pins.

It may just be an aged breaker, then again, breakers kick for a reason... they are protecting the line from overloads. Changing a breaker out is easy, but 'twere me, I'd be going over the line with a magnifying glass to make sure there aren't any firebombs in the line waiting to go off and rid you of your center... if nothing is found, then it was just a shady breaker, and life is good... and you are SURE that nothing in the circuit is going to blow the roof off the place. Call me too careful about this stuff, but as a hosehead, AND a mech who went through the aftermath of a center fire caused by an electrical problem, I'd much rather err on the side of caution.
        <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

If they are Fed/Pacific breakers, it is probably the breaker.

Comment

I think Gman probably got it with the C1 pins.

Comment

Dennis,
              I would first suspect the breaker being weak as well. Some of them weaken with each trip.
              If that doesn't solve the problem---
              Use an amp-probe on the circuit leads from the breaker in the panel to see what the machine is pulling while running and cycling. You can also clamp the amp-probe around leads going to each motor if you suspect a single motor drawing too much current. At start, they will jump off a 20 amp scale, but settle to a reading while the run winding is in control.
              Alternatively, look at your digital meter and see if it will measure current. You'll need one that can go up to 30 amps AC, the meter instructions will usually warn you about how long to apply the load. Don't try this with a meter that only goes up to 20A. The start will blow the fuse in your meter.
              Put the leads in-line on a suspect motor. This will mean removing the motor plug strain relief and removing a wire from the plug. I'd try white wires as they will usually be a neutral and carry current for both start and run.
              The amp-probe is the best as you can set the range to 50 amps or so and see what motors pull at start. If you don't have one, they aren't that expensive - but an electrician might loan you one.
              If it is a motor, you'll probably find it, or something binding causing it to draw too much current. This draw may be enough to occasionally trip the breaker if it is weak, but not enough to trip the overload on the specific motor. Another good indicator is how hot are the motors getting. You can buy these infrared temp sensors now fairly cheap. Compare the casing temp to the rated temp (found on the name plate).
              This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

breakers trip more easily as they weaken and it takes less amps to trip.a bad motor can also be pulling too many amps either because of a winding problem or a bind.
                maister

Comment

If it is a breaker, Take a real close look at your poles. If you are using Aluminum poles. They arc real bad. I had alot of trouble with that untill I replaced my breaker panel with Copper poles.
                  Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

Originally posted by old-school-mechanic:
                    If it is a breaker, Take a real close look at your poles. If you are using Aluminum poles. They arc real bad. I had alot of trouble with that untill I replaced my breaker panel with Copper poles.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah... there were some panels that were notorious for having busbar problems... Notably, some of the old Fed-Pacific panels (esp. the ones with the 'double' breakers that fit into one slot), and the older Cutler-Hammer panels with the peach colored breaker handles... they had little rounded "bumps" on the busbar that the breakers clipped on to... VERY poor setup.
                    <span style="font-style: italic">Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis</span>

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I haven't been online for a while with all the holiday stuff going on. I'm going to start with the breaker because it's the only one that moves around in the panel. You can move it all over so I'll get into it and see what I find. Sounds like a good place to start.

Charley
                      Charley

Comment

I'd be betting thats your problem. Least I hope it is. As that would be a very simple fix.
                        Even a old dog can bury a bone

Comment

i have had this problem and it was the backend motor. A wire for the klixon got hard and cracked and once in awhile would short out

Comment

Breaker..Breaker..gud buddy! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I've had enough of hope & chains.

Comment

Sweep motor has been tripping klixon lately, going to put on a different motor and see how that does for me.
                              Charley

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X